You are here

iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!!

Postby Soulless » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Roli Noise app - Free download for newer iPhones and iPads

I didn't see this mentioned, and I use Noise a lot. I provide a link to the Roli page where they have a pretty decent demo. https://roli.com/products/noise
This app is for an iPhone 6s or newer iPad. I prefer the iPad one on the iPad Pro because it sounds better and the keyboard is larger. I just checked the Apple App store and find it is still free. Looks like there are downloads for packs for new sounds, which I hadn't known but which I will grab today (3 to 4 pounds each looks like). I saw these on the Roli website.

And another thing I discovered is that it now enables the iPhone or iPad to be used as the audio engine for the Seaboard Rise (which I also have). THAT Is excellent news for me, as I have had to drag my mac and all that that entails with me to make the Seaboard work outside of the home studio. I know nothing about it yet, but as soon as I do I will put up a short post.

A link to a youtube demo. Worthy of a moment of your time. https://youtu.be/IOFfaTr-bf4
Soulless
Poster

Postby job » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Airfoil. It allows you to route audio from your DAW (or anywhere), out through your phone speaker. Something i like to do in the final stages... or at all times if making a ringtone! :thumbup:

Soundwire for Android does the same, for anyone on that platform reading this.
job
Regular

Postby JRJulius » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:06 pm

This doesn't seem like the liveliest of threads anymore, but I use iOS in my musicmaking and I feel like talking about it. Here are the apps that I can't do without anymore:

Korg ODYSSEi: Only a few weeks old and arguably a significant step up over their previous CMT engines. They've modeled oscillator drift this time around so they beat a little unless you activate sync. Whether this is good or bad is up to you, but it certainly sounds more "analogue" to me. I had no complaints about the ring mod sounds on iMS-20, but they've supposedly revamped the Sync and RM capabilities to remove aliasing and provide more convincing upper frequency content. Plus, they added a sequencer, effects, and polyphony. It sounds great and is a ton of fun to play but the interface is a little fiddly on an iPad Mini and a LOT fiddly on an iPhone.

Moog Model 15: It's been discussed to death elsewhere, I'm sure, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread. Moog pulled out all the stops with this one and while it isn't exactly a "fully-featured" VA modular (it has far fewer modules compared to Audulus, Oscillot, etc), it sounds amazing and is an excellent starting point for those new to modular systems. Its built-in controllers are also fantastic -- you get a ribbon controller, a standard keyboard with velocity and aftertouch, an Animoog keyboard, and a pretty decent arpeggiator. The interface is surprisingly intuitive and works well on an iPad Mini but you'll probably have more fun with a larger screen. Requires a 64-bit device.

Olympia Noise Co. Patterning: Another one that has made some serious waves since its release. It's a circular drum sequencer with a focus on pattern variation. I can't describe its standout features succinctly but let's just say that percussion hipsters will have a field day with this one.

It's also worth mentioning that if you're using a recent version of MacOS (I first noticed it with El Capitan), you can send audio from your device through a Lightning cable -- no need to use the headphone jack. Just go into Audio MIDI setup and add your iPad or iPhone as an audio source, then go into your DAW and select it as your audio input. It's a bit of extra hassle to switch audio inputs all the time, but if you don't have the right I/O on your soundcard, this will cut some 1/8"-1/4" adapters from your setup. But Lightning still won't transmit MIDI, which I find unfathomable.
JRJulius
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 pm

I'd be interested to know if Cubasis or Auria have improved (i.e. introduced) time signature handling.

I've commented before that MultiTrackStudio for iPad was the only app I could find which offered the capacity to build any kind of tempo map. I subsequently found that it does all kind of things immaculately, albeit with a relatively ugly GUI.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Andy McBain » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:05 pm

JRJulius wrote:Moog Model 15: It's been discussed to death elsewhere, I'm sure, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread. Moog pulled out all the stops with this one and while it isn't exactly a "fully-featured" VA modular (it has far fewer modules compared to Audulus, Oscillot, etc), it sounds amazing and is an excellent starting point for those new to modular systems. Its built-in controllers are also fantastic -- you get a ribbon controller, a standard keyboard with velocity and aftertouch, an Animoog keyboard, and a pretty decent arpeggiator. The interface is surprisingly intuitive and works well on an iPad Mini but you'll probably have more fun with a larger screen. Requires a 64-bit device.

Rather good this one, isn't it? :D

I'm still not entirely sure what all the bits do... but I managed to make a fat sounding acid patch pretty easily.

I'm very interested in iOS synths since equipping my iPad Air with MIDI in. I can see the Moog instruments in particular becoming genuinely useful in my tracks, rather than just toy apps...
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby Soulless » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:06 am

I once posted my affection for Roli Noise, a free download then, and now. It has improved since, changed rather substantially. The latest incarnation seems intended to fold in the Blocks capabilities. I have one Block as of this week, and a Seaboard. They do not presently meld well, Blocks is a suite of hardware with a lower entry price point than the Seaboard line, but is similar in capabilities and quite versatile. Maybe more versatile. Take a look, it is free to use, but there are low cost in app purchaseables. It sounds good and is portable fun. No hardware needed other than an iPhone or iPad. The Blocks are available to make it more fun.
Soulless
Poster

Postby John Willett » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 am

One app I have found excellent is Duet display :thumbup:

This little £15 app turns your iPad into a second display for your computer.

This is an excellent app and I am using it now.

While using your DAW, you can have varous things open on the second screen, while using the main screen.

For the minimal cost of £15 it saves you having to buy a second screen.

Superb and highly recommended (and it will work with a PC as well as a Mac) :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby ore_terra » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:36 pm

got that one as well. it's pretty good.

I use it when I'm on the road with the laptop.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Agree about the Model 15. Got mine for a shade under a tenner. Brilliant. Plugged an old Korg NanoKontrol in there using a generic camera control kit, mapped the sliders to the Model 15's knobs: instant "analogue"!

Between that and the Korg M1 I've got analog and digital covered.

On the subject of equipping your iPad or iPhone with a MIDI in, you may not have to.

Korg's MicroKey Air keyboards transmit MIDI over Bluetooth with no hassle, negligible latency, and 100% reliability (in my experience). If you can handle the mini-keys they are also a very nice feeling keyboard, streets ahead of (for example) the Akai LPK-25.

You also get various bits of software, including a very nice acoustic piano, electric piano, strings and Hammond organ, in the form of Module Le. Runs on a modest spec: I can use my iPhone 5s as a wireless sound module!

Oh, and has anyone mentioned SynthMaster Player yet? It's bloody marvellous and you can get your hands on gorgeous, inspiring sampled mellotrons and hammond and things as a a £5 IAP (Art Rock Basics).
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby redlester » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 am

Moog now have the Model D app...
https://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps ... odel-d-app

I have both this and the Model 15 and they sound great, but I've had no joy with integrating them with the computer using iPhone/Windows 10/Ableton and the Studiomux app. The user manual for the latter is atrocious for the Studiomux Server element of it.

Having just switched to Mac am hoping I can finally get these to work in a useful way.
redlester
Regular

Previous