You are here

iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: iOS (iPad and iPhone) Apps of worthiness!!

Postby Dan LB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 am

Thor by Propellerhead. Paid app. My favourite synth I’ve used on iOS. :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave.P » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Audiokit make the free and excellent Synth One.
There is also aFM/DX model too and then a paid for D1 Synth.

I use them to record directly into my DAW as a proper keyboard really helps.
https://audiokitpro.com/audiokit/
Dave.P
Poster

Postby redlester » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Dave.P wrote:Audiokit make the free and excellent Synth One.

Are you able to get sound via the lightning cable into your DAW and send MIDI out to Synth One from the DAW to sync it?

See my post above regarding the Moog apps. I still haven't been able to successfully do it. Makes any iOS apps a bit of a waste of time for me.
redlester
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:53 pm

redlester wrote:
Dave.P wrote:Audiokit make the free and excellent Synth One.

Are you able to get sound via the lightning cable into your DAW and send MIDI out to Synth One from the DAW to sync it?

See my post above regarding the Moog apps. I still haven't been able to successfully do it. Makes any iOS apps a bit of a waste of time for me.

It can be done, but not just with a lightning cable. I have the iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ which is a USB MIDI interface for Mac/PC which is also a MIDI host for additional USB devices and a pair of USB/lightning interfaces for iOS devices which carries both MIDI and audio between Mac and iPad/iPhone.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/ ... tmidi4plus

There is a smaller version too.

You need to set up an aggregate device in your Mac audio settings. So far I've not used it in anger, but it is incredibly sophisticated in handling multiple MIDI devices with different connectors.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Dave.P » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm

I us an Alesis iO Dock II to connect everything up.
Seems this was discontinued a while back so there may be some second hand deals around.
Be aware that earlier ones did not come with a lightning connection as standard.
Fortunately my iPad Pro 1st generation fits in pretty well.
In Cubase, the iO Dock shows up as the target for the midi from whatever device I choose so can even make it follow the chord track.
Audio comes back in via a stereo pair to my interface.

Totally agree that you need to set up an Aggregate Device.
Dave.P
Poster

Postby redlester » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:29 pm

Dave.P wrote:I us an Alesis iO Dock II to connect everything up.
Seems this was discontinued a while back so there may be some second hand deals around.
Be aware that earlier ones did not come with a lightning connection as standard.
In Cubase, the iO Dock shows up as the target for the midi from whatever device I choose so can even make it follow the chord track.

Looks like the Alesis is specifically for iPad? I would require someting for iPhone use. I do have an iPad gathering dust but it's a second generation one and incapable of running any of these synth apps. My phone, however, is an iPhone XS.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:35 pm

zenguitar wrote:It can be done, but not just with a lightning cable. I have the iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ which is a USB MIDI interface for Mac/PC which is also a MIDI host for additional USB devices and a pair of USB/lightning interfaces for iOS devices which carries both MIDI and audio between Mac and iPad/iPhone.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/ ... tmidi4plus

There is a smaller version too.

You need to set up an aggregate device in your Mac audio settings. So far I've not used it in anger, but it is incredibly sophisticated in handling multiple MIDI devices with different connectors.

Andy :beamup:

This looks like what I might need. I will bear this in mind for future, as it has three sets of MIDI DIN in-outs as well.

After years of not bothering with this music lark, when I rediscovered my love for it a few years back I intended to do everything "in the box" and have largely kept it that way. But strangely I now find myself with (as well as all the software synths and sample libraries) a Moog Subsequent 37, a DFAM and a Volca Keys.

It's starting to expand outwards. Like my stomach! :mrgreen:
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 pm

redlester wrote:After years of not bothering with this music lark, when I rediscovered my love for it a few years back I intended to do everything "in the box" and have largely kept it that way. But strangely I now find myself with (as well as all the software synths and sample libraries) a Moog Subsequent 37, a DFAM and a Volca Keys.

There's no hope for you now, my friend. Sorry to be the one who has to break the sad news to you.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby redlester » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:38 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:There's no hope for you now, my friend. Sorry to be the one who has to break the sad news to you.

That's what I was thinking myself.

Can you let my wife know please CC? :SOS: :beamup:
redlester
Regular

Postby Dave.P » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:45 pm

redlester wrote:
Dave.P wrote:I us an Alesis iO Dock II to connect everything up.

Looks like the Alesis is specifically for iPad? I would require someting for iPhone use. I do have an iPad gathering dust but it's a second generation one and incapable of running any of these synth apps. My phone, however, is an iPhone XS.

You can use it with an iPhone if needed - just use a lightning extension cable....
Dave.P
Poster

Postby Chris-French » Thu May 23, 2019 2:55 am

Michiel wrote:Korg iMS-20 (iPad only; €12.99 until 31/01/2011 double thereafter) is the coolest one I've so far got! Always wanted to own a real MS-20 when I was a lot younger.
I actually like and constantly use all of the KORG apps for the iPad -- iMS-20, iWavestation, iM1, both Electribe drum machines. They're really well done, sound good, and are a great bargain.
Chris-French

Postby kingmoot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:40 pm

I've been trying out a couple of Brian Eno ipad apps, namely:
- Bloom 10 Worlds
- Scape

Both apps sound fantastic. You basically draw something on screen and the app does the rest - quite impressive how the music subtly changes over time.

http://www.generativemusic.com/

He's made a few more apps too, but just these two are enough for me right now.

You can't save what you've created in Bloom, but you can in Scape. Not sure about how his other apps work. If you like Brian Eno's music generally you're likely to enjoy these apps.
kingmoot
Poster