You are here

Omnisphere Library find - Not a valid STEAM Folder nightmare!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Omnisphere Library find - Not a valid STEAM Folder nightmare!

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am

I know this may have been asked before but i am tearing my hair out here with the Omnisphere Installation!!

I have successfully installed Omnisphere, and the STEAM folder with the Library, I have looked on the Spectrasonics website and the tutorials on the folders and library.

I installed this and some of the library did load within Omnisphere.

I then moved the library to my Ext fw800 drive and instead of the alias this was the full library (as it took around 20 minutes!) so I know its on the drive.. and the plug in loads.

But whenever I point to the STEAM folder (library) all I get endlessly with picking that and other related folders is "Not a valid STEAM Folder"?

Endless nightmare - do i need to create an alias or copy this somehow? to somewhere on the Mac HD?
And if I do, what can i then delete to free up the library space on my Mac HD, now I have moved the library to the FW800 drive, so that it still works ok and i can free space on my original Mac HD internal drive?

Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Re: Omnisphere Library find - Not a valid STEAM Folder nightmare!

Postby chris... » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:46 am

It's certainly possible to move the library, and make aliases / symlinks from where the plugin looks. I always make sure this exact path exists:

/Users/<me>/Library/Application Support/Spectrasonics/STEAM/Omnisphere
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 am

chris... wrote:It's certainly possible to move the library, and make aliases / symlinks from where the plugin looks. I always make sure this exact path exists:

Thanks yes I have this folder on my Ext HD drive and on my Mac HD drive, and pointing to both STEAM and Omnisphere still says not valid?
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:27 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Thanks yes I have this folder on my Ext HD drive and on my Mac HD drive

The Omnisphere path starts with /Users/<you> and this always on the boot drive. Some component in the path may redirect to an ext HD, but you need to be able to open the exact sequence of folders for the path to exist. When I go into:

I see:

Defaults
Documentation
Settings Library
Soundsources

Other than that, perhaps your library is somehow damaged. My "Omnisphere" folder is 44GB for what it's worth. Can you clarify to what extent it ever worked ? When you said "some of the library did load" that is of potential concern.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:38 pm

chris... wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:Thanks yes I have this folder on my Ext HD drive and on my Mac HD drive
The Omnisphere path starts with /Users/ and this always on the boot drive. Some component in the path may redirect to an ext HD, but you need to be able to open the exact sequence of folders for the path to exist. When I go into:

/Users//Library/Application Support/Spectrasonics/STEAM/Omnisphere

I see:

Defaults
Documentation
Settings Library
Soundsources

Other than that, perhaps your library is somehow damaged. My "Omnisphere" folder is 44GB for what it's worth. Can you clarify to what extent it ever worked ? When you said "some of the library did load" that is of potential concern.

Yes some of the patches never loaded and I got an error message of some kind (can't remember now)

Yes it seems I have all of the folders that you have here also. My folder was around 39GB if i remember? so there is something there,

What i may do is delete the whole Spectrasonics and re-install again tonight. Do I just delete all the spectrasonics folders and reinstall?

I think this only worked when I had the drive on my main Mac HD, and it somehow got lost when I moved it with aliases etc :frown:

I do have updates and some extra library packs to install too, maybe i do all this together at install then see if the library loads. I just wanted the main library to be on my Ext as i have a 750Gb..
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Reinstalling library will hopefully sort it.

My library been redirected to an alternate drive for years, during which it's been moved and copied to new drives several times, with zero problems, as long as it's accessible at the exact path above.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:36 pm

All re-installed and Omnisphere seems to work fine - however, its all on my Mac HD drive..

Do I risk it and leave alone, or do I drag and move things to my FW800 drive? :crazy:

I'm scared :roll:
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Go for it! What I would do is:

- copy STEAM folder to ext drive

- rename orig STEAM folder to "STEAM.not" (leaving it in same directory)

At this stage, make sure re-opening Omni gives an error. Then:

- create a "STEAM" alias pointing to the copy, in place of the orig you renamed.

At this stage, make sure re-opening Omni works OK. Then:

- when feeling brave, delete the renamed STEAM.not folder
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)