You are here

Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm getting fed up of using my mouse for everything and was looking at getting a small (reasonable priced!!) control surface to use with Logic X. The Euphinics MC Control mk2 looks perfect but there seems to be a big problem with them running with Logic X. Has this problem now been sorted? Is anyone using them without any problems?

At less than £400 s/h these seem like a great solution. Is there anything better to look at?

I am running the latest version of Logic X on Yosemite.
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby IAA » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:48 pm

I am using a MC MIX on latest logic Pro X with Mavericks - I am not moving to Yosemite yet. It works perfectly - which is why I am not moving!

Ian
IAA
Regular
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:00 am

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Ian,

Thanks that's good to know. I have a Mavericks backup of my setup as well a Yosemite. To be fair, I only moved to Yosemite very recently and I haven't encountered any problems with it at all.
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Er ... I have the MC Control and MC mix and have used them quite happily with Logic X.

What are these issues you have heard about??? I've had mine running first on Logic 9 and then X. No problems here..

I'm still on Mavericks, but I'd be shocked if there was a difference between that and Yosemite.

Mind you .. I'm not sure that the Control would be my choice - possibly a Mix + Transport would be a cheaper option as I rarely use the touch screen.
User avatar
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5146
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby rz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:17 pm

If you already have an iPad the free Logic Remote App is quite cool.

rz
rz
Regular
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:00 am
Location: ACT Australia

rzzz


Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby chris... » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Dave B wrote:Mind you .. I'm not sure that the Control would be my choice - possibly a Mix + Transport would be a cheaper option as I rarely use the touch screen.
3 Mixes + Transport here. About to upgrade from 10.6 / Logic9. Will report how it goes!
User avatar
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2723
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Sunny Glasgow

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:34 am

Dave B wrote:
Mind you .. I'm not sure that the Control would be my choice - possibly a Mix + Transport would be a cheaper option as I rarely use the touch screen.

There is a Control v2 on Shebay for a shade over £350. Would the other two really come in for less? I do understand what you say about the touchscreen though. But it seems a good starting point with 4 faders and transport/jog wheel in one compact unit.
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby chris... » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:40 am

I recon'd I didn't need a Control. I was not trying to do away with touching the computer, I just wanted some decent faders and for extra points some transport controls.

Have never actually used a Control, but the early reviews weren't all that impressed with the touchscreen, which I suspect may slightly disappoint someone who's used an iPad. But perhaps it's better with recent software ?
User avatar
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2723
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Sunny Glasgow

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 am

There's always the Mackie Control Universal. They seem to go for about £2-300 on ebay, or £4-500 for the Pro. Integration with Logic is as good as it gets, of course.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:33 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:There's always the Mackie Control Universal. They seem to go for about £2-300 on ebay, or £4-500 for the Pro. Integration with Logic is as good as it gets, of course.

CC

Anyone know if the Mackie stuff is compatible with Logic X and Yosemite?
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Dunno about Yosemite, but there's always been a close relationship between Mackie and the Logic developers, I think, similar to the one with Apogee, so I wouldn't have expected problems. Certainly my Control Pro + extender are happy with Logic 10.1 under Mavericks.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Microwave » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:33 pm

I've always had a love hate relationship with hardware controllers - mostly hate, a lot of which has to do with the "displacement" I feel when I have to look at both the screen and the controller. I'd personally go for an iPad with a suitable app for now.
When integrated solutions like the Slate Raven will become affordable that's going to be the way to go!
User avatar
Microwave
Regular
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London, Europe

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:26 pm

The Mackie is good if you find a good price. Over many years I've had to replace 3 faders that wore out but it still continues to happily chug along. I use it mostly for the transport controls. It's nice to have something physical for the left hand to do while the mouse sits under the right hand. It works great with Logic X on Mavericks. Occasionally I'll use it to write automation during mix time other than that all the extra features are wasted on me and it does do a lot if you have the patience to figure it out. I tried a number of iPad apps but basically you are sliding your fingers on a piece of glass and probably staring at that piece of glass so you don't slide the wrong controller. To me this means I'm not using my ears to mix I'm staring at the iPad. The iPad is good if you need to hit record when you are alone and not in front of the computer but in another part of the room. The Euphonix is a better system in concept but now it's in Avids hands so I suspect it's as good as dead and buried.

Eric
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In the woods in Canada
 

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:07 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Dunno about Yosemite, but there's always been a close relationship between Mackie and the Logic developers, I think, similar to the one with Apogee, so I wouldn't have expected problems. Certainly my Control Pro + extender are happy with Logic 10.1 under Mavericks.


The MCU and MCU Pro works fine under Yosemite using MIDI.

There seems to be an issue using the MCU Pro via USB on Yosemite (and possible ElCap, don't know offhand), and a number of people have experienced everything fro flaky issues to complete non-recognition of the control surface. In all cases, reverting to using MIDI instead of USB fixed the issue.

*Love* my MCU with Logic, it's wonderful and a world away from simple dumb fader boxes.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8650
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:17 pm

I think a MCU will fit the bill perfectly. On a side note, does anyone here use a Mackie C4 Expander? They look great for Plug-in/AU tweaking. Are they as good in practise or just a bank of pretty knobs and LEDs that don't get used?
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:02 pm

I owned one for a very short period. I just don't use plugins enough to justify its use and it takes up a fair chunk of desk space. The MCU itself has a plugin mode that covers my needs well enough. YMMV as they say.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:06 am

Mackie control or iPad seem to work ok for me, the mackie controls are just a bit big though.

Nothing seems to work well to me, I have a Jazzmutant Dexter that they never finished, a Euphonic MC Control which is a piece of [ ****** ] and recently tried a Panorama P1 as it was small, unfortunately also a piece of [ ****** ].

I keep waiting for these to make a show: http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/X-TOUCH.aspx
User avatar
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:54 am

BobTheDog wrote:the mackie controls are just a bit big though.

I've said before that there's nothing like a mixer for impressing the natives, and a Mackie Control plus extender looks sufficiently like a big mixer to make the required impression. I particularly enjoy switching it on and watching their eyes get bigger when the faders do their little dance.

Much of the effect would be lost if the MCU was smaller ...

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:05 pm

I would like an MCU with a more modern design and a bit smaller footprint. The MCU Pro seems even bigger and I'm less keen on the design style.

Considering how long ago the MCU was designed (it debuted with the release of Logic 5) it's amazingly well designed, but when the Euphonics MC control stuff started to appear I thought they would really kill off the MCU - smaller, sexier, a "better" more modern control technology layer, better screen and so on - but it seems that user response was variable, with the general opinion I take away from it that they were close but just not quite there.

However, it is quite difficult to find MCU extenders these days, as people either hang on to them as part of their working MCU setup, or sell the whole lot when they move on to something bigger/better...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8650
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Though I would bring this post back from the dead as it is still a burning issue for me. My new project studio is just about ready and I am still trying to nail down a suitable control surface. I use Logic So looking for the most compatible available. There are quite a few on the market now (Behringer X Touch, Presonus Faderport 8/16, Icon Qcon Pro X etc.....). I have read horror stories for all of them!! I was going to get a single fader jobbie but have decided to go with 8 as it will make mixing easier IMHO.

Who uses any of the above with Logic? Does it work as it should?

I’m quite tempted to pick up a S/H Mackie Control Pro but the age of the units (wear on faders etc...) is making me very twitchy.
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users