You are here

Ensemble & Duet FireWire no longer supported by Apogee.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Ensemble & Duet FireWire no longer supported by Apogee.

Postby chris... » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:03 am

Phil Foster wrote: Yes maybe Apple has stopped developing FirWire but that doesn't mean they have stopped supporting it.

I suspect this is case of "yes and no".

If the hypothetical bug that's found requires code development to fix, it seems quite likely Apple may not bother.

I guess it depends what we mean by "support". If it means fixing any possible problem, no matter what the circumstances or difficulty, then that may not be realistic. Apple probably aren't gonna be doing this, even if they are still offering some degree of "support" (e.g telephone help)

Whereas if providing "support" means doing what realistically can be done, and helping users where they can be helped, but, if (say due to a key dependency) a fix is not possible, then that's also fair enough. And would be nice if Apogee were at least offering this. Have they actually said "not supporting" means they won't touch this with a bargepole, so if I phone up wanting some straightforward setup help with a 10.11 setup they'll simply tell me to b*gger off ?
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:18 am

chris... wrote: Have they actually said "not supporting" means they won't touch this with a bargepole, so if I phone up wanting some straightforward setup help with a 10.11 setup they'll simply tell me to b*gger off ?

LittleJ's quote earlier on from an Apogee chappy on G*******z seems to imply exactly that:

This is why we are dropping official support for these devices in 10.11 and beyond, even though they might still continue to work fine on future OS versions. We simply can't guarantee it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby chris... » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:57 am

So they're saying "We simply can't guarantee it".

But suppose all I want is for them to have a go at helping me.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:05 pm

In other words you're looking for unofficial support. I don't want to be overly pessimistic here ...

My reading is, though, that if you could reproduce the problem in 10.10 or earlier then you'll get help

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby littleJ » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:17 pm

One possible problem is that Apple might want to take Core Audio on a new direction and the path is longer/unworthy for firewire... :frown:
littleJ
New here

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Do the Apogee Firewire devices work on Thunderbolt-equipped Macs with a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adaptor?

If so then you'd hope they could continue to support that configuration at least.
Sam Inglis

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:36 pm

I have used an Edirol FA66 in that arrangement with our Macbook Air, so I guess it would work. Sadly Apogee do not appear to go with the idea.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:46 pm

I sympathise with the sentiments of the thread, as a Firewire interface user (StudioLive and MOTU MkII before that). I've always thought it sensible for audio interface makers to follow the MOTU lead and offer a hybrid, dual design. eg. Firewire + USB2, USB2 + AVB. Surely the licensing fees are not massive?

Reading the tealeaves, it looks like Apple will possibly abandon Thunderbolt sockets on all of their future Macs and go with the USB Type C connector (available now on their MacBook). This can theoretically run Intel's Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) and is backwards compatible -- using adapters :-( -- to Thunderbolt 1 and 2, USB2 and USB3, plus DisplayPort.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 pm

So read:

"You will now need a mass load of break-out cables and extra boxes to plug anything into you mac"
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:01 am

Dave Rowles wrote:So read:

"You will now need a mass load of break-out cables and extra boxes to plug anything into you mac"

Unfortunately, most probably "yes" given Apple's track record with connections. I truly hope they do not opt for this route - after all there's plenty of space on the back of their iMacs to keep Thunderbolt and USB2 sockets there on future models.

Personally, I'm less interested in MacBook Pros becoming lighter in weight and slimmer profile, so they could keep Thunderbolt and stick a USB-C in place of one of the USB2 ports.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 am

Dave Rowles wrote:So read:

But the main box will look wonderfully slim and minimal on the adverts. Which I believe is important to Mac people.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Do the Apogee Firewire devices work on Thunderbolt-equipped Macs with a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adaptor?

If so then you'd hope they could continue to support that configuration at least.

Pretty sure most of their models are, althrough the Firewire data is simply being passed over Thunderbolt as its protocol compatible. If the OS support gets to a point where it can no longer process the data off a Firewire card through, then I suspect it'll also fail to work over Thunderbolt as its the same process over a different pipe.

Apogees always had a Apple tie up and it's kept them exclusive on that side of the fence, however I think I speak for many a PC user at this point when I say if they are not getting the Apple support over there they deserve then we'd welcome them and their lovely hardware over to the dark side ;)
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Pete Kaine wrote: then we'd welcome them and their lovely hardware over to the dark side ;)

Just watch out for them dumping support when it's no longer convenient.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby stevemarfisi » Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 pm

In my frustration in having my 2011 Mac Pro stop working (finally - on day 3 of attempted recovery, I might be giving up) - I can say without hesitation that my firewire Apogee Ensemble worked like a champ all the way to Mojave 10.14. It was the Logic Pro update to 10.5 that then said I need Mojave 10.14.6 - and the update (via DosDude1) process that did me in. Guess I was too greedy for the new LPX 10.5 features....

None of my time machine backups are able to be restored successfully.

Oh well....maybe I'll be trying a Mac Mini with Thunderbolt to FW adapter. Apple never stopped its support for firewire, to this day. Maybe no updates, but all OSX since 2011 support firewire. I can vouch for that.
stevemarfisi

Previous