You are here

Korg Wavestation instability in Logic Pro X?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Korg Wavestation instability in Logic Pro X?

Postby Paul White » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:40 pm

I have had a few reports of Logic Pro X crashing (but not always) when opening a song that includes the Korg Wavesation plug-in. I've seen this myself on occasions and when it happens Logic actually puts up a message blaming the Wavestation. The Korg development team say this isn't something they've come across though I know of at least three users who have experienced the same issue. If anyone else has come across this problem or - better still - found a solution, please let me know on paul.white@soundonsound.com and I'll pass on the info to Korg. Many thanks for your help.
Paul White
Poster

Re: Korg Wavestation instability in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Can't say I've ever had any noticeable problems with this, here...

is it OS dependent? (El Cap has some issues with some plugins because of security restrictions etc)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby JohnHop » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Yes this happens to me a lot, and for quite a long time now , to the point now where I'm reluctant to use the Wavestation plugin.

All the other plugging in the Korg suite are fine. Only Wavestation is affected..

My Mac Book Pro is on El Capitan 10.11.4
JohnHop
Poster
http://soundcloud.com/johnhopkins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xngl-6dFa9c

Postby Steve A » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:56 pm

It happens to me intermittently in Mainstage - which is tantamount to the same thing as Logic I guess - it prevents me loading the entire concert and leads to having to force quit Mainstage. Another Mainstage user I know is experiencing the same. It's too much to risk during a live show so I gave up using it.
Steve A
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Steve A wrote:It happens to me intermittently in Mainstage

On El Cap?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:00 am

I've had it happen intermittently - most recently in Logic 10.2.2 under Mavericks.

I just put it down to mis-reporting the Liquid Mix plugin failing as it's running under 32 lives. But now I'll try and generate a test project and see if I can get it to repeatably fail.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby cristianstefan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Also i experienced this problem many times, and, trying to find out what kind of buttons on the interface make it to crash the WAVESTATION, i found it:

When create new Logic Pro X project, create the WAVESTATION plug-in, and go in some performance (e.g. RAM 2, Nr. 30, Echo Hunters), go into Performance Edit, then Patch Edit, and then the oscilator (1osc) go to the List, the List window appears (WAVESEQ/WAVE LIST) and when change the ROMs in the List (move between ROMs in the list) the plug-in crash. When moving not between sounds but between ROMs in the List it crashes the WAVESTATION. It happen about 4 from 5 times for me. If not from the first time (not always from first time) but if i try some more times it crash surely (try moving between tabs and List ROM's and CARD's).
Or, when go into the WaveSeq Edit (WAVESEQ tab), choose again List, and in the WAVE LIST move between ROM and CARDs, the plug-in crash. Again it happen about 4 from 5 times for me.
Sometimes it crashes when i move between tab windows PERFORM, PATCH, WAVESEQ tabs.
So i think it is a bug from moving between tabs in the WAVESTATION, particularly in the List window that appear.
I try this on different DAW's not only in Logic Pro X and it happen the same (Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One, also Logic Pro 9)
cristianstefan

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 am

I just spent a few minutes running through all the above described procedures multiple times, on the WS under El Cap, and it's perfectly stable here (as it has always been for me), no crashes, behaves fine.

What version of the WS are you running?

(Do a Get Info on the Wavestation AU component file - mine is 1.3.0, the most recent version...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby cristianstefan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Also mine is 1.3.0. In the Korg Logo about menu is 1.7.0, and in the AU component is 1.3.0 which is the most recent and last version. I use Logic Pro X 10.2.4 under Yosemite OS.

And also now i try again and it crashes.

I just open a new Logic project, create the WS, i go to RAM 2 and performance 30 (Echo Hunters), i go into Performance Edit, then into Industrial patch name, then to Patch Edit; in 1osc is selected WSNoise, open the List and directly moving from ROM11 to ROM10 in the List, now first time no crashes. I close the list, i go to the WaveSeq Edit, open the List in the WaveSeq page, and i move from ROM to CARD4 in the List and again no crash.

I turn back into the Patch Edit area, open the List and moving from ROM11 to ROM 10 in the List it crashes.

I open again new project, open WS, go to the Echo Hunters (RAM2, No.30) performance again, select Industrial patch name, go into Patch Edit, open the List and moving from ROM11 to ROM10 in the List it crashes.

I open again new project, open WS, again Echo Hunters performance, select Industrial, go to Patch Edit area, open the List and moving From ROM11 to ROM10 in the List it crashes.
So the most crashes are happen mine is when i change between ROM's in the List in the Patch Edit area.
cristianstefan

Postby cristianstefan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Anywone experiencing the same problem?

In the Korg M1, the latest version of plug-in (1.7.0 stand alone and 1.3.0 AU) found some serious bug for me.

The bug is for both the stand alone and plug-in versions:

Open the M1 stand alone or plug-in, go to Multi page and, in the Master FX create an effect (any type) for example reverb or delay. The effect is loaded with default values. Change the parameters of the effect as you want, then click to select the upper top green rectangle (FX 1 or FX 2 just bellow the effect On/Off switch) and the parameters of the effect reset to default values.
If you select the bottom FX 1 or FX 2 green rectangles the parameters remain fine as you adjust, but if you select with upper rectangles, all parameters of the effect are reset to default.

On the Combi page, create a Compressor effect in the Master FX page, and adjust the Sensitivity knob. When you turn Off the effect or On it always change the Out Level knob of the compressor. Also when you select other page and then turn back the Out Level of the compressor reset to the amount of Sensitivity knob.
cristianstefan

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:58 pm

cristianstefan wrote:And also now i try again and it crashes.

Have you tried completely removing it, all prefs and so on, restarting your computer, and doing a full clean install?

Does it still crash if you try this on a fresh, newly created user account?

cristianstefan wrote:Open the M1 stand alone or plug-in, go to Multi page and, in the Master FX create an effect (any type) for example reverb or delay. The effect is loaded with default values. Change the parameters of the effect as you want, then click to select the upper top green rectangle (FX 1 or FX 2 just bellow the effect On/Off switch) and the parameters of the effect reset to default values.
If you select the bottom FX 1 or FX 2 green rectangles the parameters remain fine as you adjust, but if you select with upper rectangles, all parameters of the effect are reset to default.

Yes, I see the same behaviour. If you click on the "On" *above* the green box, the effect is just enabled/disabled as expected, but if you click on the green box, the selected fx preset is recalled / reset to it's stored value. If you control-click on it, the effect is reset back to No Effect. I think it's probably intentional, if somewhat funky, designed behaviour, rather than a bug as such, but it could be a bug too.

cristianstefan wrote:On the Combi page, create a Compressor effect in the Master FX page, and adjust the Sensitivity knob. When you turn Off the effect or On it always change the Out Level knob of the compressor. Also when you select other page and then turn back the Out Level of the compressor reset to the amount of Sensitivity knob.

Yes. That I think is definitely a bug.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby JohnHop » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Okay, so I now have a two-month-old iMac i7 TB SSD 32GB RAM. I installed Korg Legacy, but as per usual Wavestation sometimes crashed Logic Pro X, regularly enough not to bother using it.

The other day I upgraded to High Sierra, only to find the Korg Legacy synths did not work at all. (pretty normal with an OS upgrade)

This morning I received an email from Korg telling me that Legacy will now work with High Sierra, well done Korg.

So full of hope I downloaded the latest versions and installed them.

Anyway, guess what happened the first time I opened Wavestation? Yup!
It crashed Logic Pro X instantly.

Aaaaagh. Oh well. :headbang:

It's such a shame because it's such a great sounding synth but pretty much unusable, for me anyway.
JohnHop
Poster
http://soundcloud.com/johnhopkins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xngl-6dFa9c

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for the report, I wondered if the "stability improvements" in the new update would improve this for people...
Seems not the case :(
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ricard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

Same thing happened to me... Was expecting the Wavestation plugin to work now, but it instantly crashed Logic pro x... Depressing since I really like it!!
Ricard

Postby Kevin Nolan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Just an update - I've tried to run Korg Collection Wavestation on LPX 10.4.1 and it crashes it every time.

I've logged it with Korg UK, requesting a fix. Will report back any communications from them.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I get an occasional crash with 10.4.1 and the Wavey. Mainly on re-opening projects iirc. But it's by no means every time. It's infrequent enough to be a niggle rather than a problem.

I can double check OS versions, etc if you want.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Kevin Nolan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Unfortunately, it’s crashing Logic every time for me. I’m on High Sierra, LPX 10.4.1, Korfg Collection - latest versions of all of those. All other Korg Collection plugins work perfectly, but Wavestation crashes logic, every time it’s instantiated.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Not used mine for a while so thought I'd give it a try. It seems ok but I'm I'm merely setting up a stereo instance and noodling - no recording etc but works fine. OS 10.13.6 and Logic 10.4.1......No crashes at all but not exactly deeply testing it!
fatbenelton
Regular
Jonny

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm just using a stereo instance too - nothing deep on this end - just - every other of the 200 plugins I own work - but Wavestation - the moment I instantiate it - Logic - Puff!!!!

Completely unusable.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:37 pm

fatbenelton wrote:Not used mine for a while so thought I'd give it a try. It seems ok but I'm I'm merely setting up a stereo instance and noodling - no recording etc but works fine. OS 10.13.6 and Logic 10.4.1......No crashes at all but not exactly deeply testing it!

Just checked mine too, doing much the same and so far no problem. (2017 iMac, 21.5" retina, if it might be relevant)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Next