You are here

Keyscape Audio Glitches.... HELP!!!!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Keyscape Audio Glitches.... HELP!!!!

Postby Guido3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:57 pm

I have recently bought Keyscape. It works and sounds great except it keeps having odd audio glitches every so often. I'll be playing away and then all of a sudden the audio will crackle and pop for a split second then everything will be OK again.
I have checked the CPU monitor and it runs just below 30% and then jumps to a ridiculously high number like 3000% (which causes the pop).

I know that Keyscape is fairly processor heavy but I have Omnisphere (which is also fairly hard on the CPU) and have never had a single problem.

I have a MBP 2.4Ghz i5 with 8Gig running Sierra. Keyscape is installed on a 2nd internal 750GB SSD which should be more than upto the task. I have an old MOTU Ultralite connected by FW to my Mac. I updated to the latest drivers at the end of 2016.

I can not replicate the pops/crackles with any other plug in I have which leads me to believe it is something to do with Keyscape. I have optimised everything as recommended on the Spectrasonics website but to no avail.

It's a real shame as the problem renders Keyscape totally unusable.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Keyscape Audio Glitches.... HELP!!!!

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Firstly, Spectrasonics tech support might be your best bet.

I'd try and rule some things out - try the instrument in a different host, and with different buffer settings.
Select the patches from within Omnisphere, rather than the Keyscape plugin - same issues?
Put the library on a different drive, and see whether that makes the issue go away...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:41 pm

So you've already tried these...? I believe you can run Keyscape either under its own plugin, or load its patches in Omnisphere if you have it...? Might be worth a go. Could also try changing from AU to VST or vice-versa depending on DAW choice.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:17 pm

I currently only have Omnisphere version 1 so can't load Keyscape patches into it (Note to self: need to upgrade!!).

I have a couple of Glyph external 10,000rpm HDD which are FW. I'll copy the library into one of those to see if that helps.

I have been playing with Keyscape again this afternoon and the glitch was still happening but much less often. Very strange!!!

Yes, I have tried all the things suggested on the Spectrasonics website.

I do wonder whether the Ultralite is the culprit.
Guido3
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:23 am

Spectrasonics 'help desk' have been back in touch and have asked me to send them a sample project showing the problem occurring. Very pleased with the service so far.

I have been having a look at my audio settings in Logic and there are a couple of things I could change but not sure.... Desmond!!!

My processor threads is set to automatic. I can choose either Automatic, 4 or 2. Should I select 4 to force the system to use all 4 threads available? When I pull up the CPU/HD monitor, it seems to only be using 2 threads when in auto.

Also, my processor buffer range is set at Medium. Is this where it should be?

Just sending file to Spectrasonics now so will report back when they get back to me.
Guido3
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 am

Just to give you all an update....

Spectrasonics helpdesk have been superb and have tried their best to sort my problem. However, it would seem as though 8GB RAM is not enough to run Keyscape on my Mac. As I can't upgrade the RAM any more I sadly have no choice but to sell my copy of Keyscape.
Guido3
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 am

Are you sure you can't upgrade the RAM?

What model MBP do you have? They often support RAM configurations higher than they "officially" support (eg, my machine only officially suppors 8GB of ram, but unofficially, 16GB is fine.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Guido3 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Desmond,

It's a early 2010 so can't be upgraded past 8GIg sadly. Might be time to upgrade my hardware ☹️

Shame because my MBP does everything I need it to do but the longer I leave an upgrade now the more things I guess I will struggle running in the not too distant future.
Guido3
Regular

Postby Alex_Salv » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Guido3 wrote:I have recently bought Keyscape. It works and sounds great except it keeps having odd audio glitches every so often. I'll be playing away and then all of a sudden the audio will crackle and pop for a split second then everything will be OK again.
I have checked the CPU monitor and it runs just below 30% and then jumps to a ridiculously high number like 3000% (which causes the pop).

I know that Keyscape is fairly processor heavy but I have Omnisphere (which is also fairly hard on the CPU) and have never had a single problem.

I have a MBP 2.4Ghz i5 with 8Gig running Sierra. Keyscape is installed on a 2nd internal 750GB SSD which should be more than upto the task. I have an old MOTU Ultralite connected by FW to my Mac. I updated to the latest drivers at the end of 2016.

I can not replicate the pops/crackles with any other plug in I have which leads me to believe it is something to do with Keyscape. I have optimised everything as recommended on the Spectrasonics website but to no avail.

It's a real shame as the problem renders Keyscape totally unusable.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks.

I have the same problem... I think is something regarding the ssd .. because it's the only modify that I've done at my pc and my notebook... both has the same problem. Any solution?
Alex_Salv

Postby Guido3 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:28 am

It’s not the SSD. I had 2 very good quality SSDs fitted in my MBP. I believe it is down to memory (or lack of in my case). My MBP had 8 Gig which was min requirements. I have since bought a MBP with 16Gig but no longer have Keyscape to test on it. As Spectrasonics don’t offer ‘Demo’ versions of their software, I am reluctant to buy it again to try.

It’s a great piece of software though.
Guido3
Regular