You are here

Logic Pro Delay Compensation Bug

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro Delay Compensation Bug

Postby mixerjack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 am

Hey all, I have a pretty unique problem that's been on going for a few years now. I've tried many a forums, with no luck. I am praying some smart SOS reader (or writer!) can help me....

Here goes....

I've used logic since version 5 (pretty much every day of my life since I was 15). So I'm no stranger to it. And it's got me stumped. I've never had this problem until version X.

Basically what happens is, after recording audio, the region is time stamped early; to the absolute horror of most artists hearing their performance back (after I so confidently tell them it was a killer take). Early... what!? Yea early. Usually by a fair amount of MS. Enough to see it and obviously hear it. And move audio to original recorded position leaves it in the same place, so it's timestamped there...

Now I've tried changing a few of the variables. From the interface (RME FW800) to a few various USB Interfaces. I still get the problem. Now I have to say, it does sometimes seem random, but it almost always happens on a session with a lot of plugins. I spent a while with UAD support, they have had this problem reported to them by other logic users (though searching on the web you wouldn't think it). But I'm not entirely sure it's solely down to UAD. I did manage to trigger the problem just by inserting a UAD plugin anywhere in the session, but not always..

I'm pretty convinced it's a delay compensation bug. Something is over calculated somewhere. It's hard to re create the problem on a blank session with no plugins: all seems to work as expected. But do a few hours work, and try and record something and bam; shit goes outta whack.

I guess it happens infrequently enough for me to be able to work around it, but this has actually been going on for almost 2 years, and it's driving me nuts... so any help is welcome.

It's happened with all buffer sizes, but the amount seems to change, I haven't had time to do any serious testing to get some figures unfortunately. I need to experiment with software monitoring off, obviously this would be no good, as I'm not yet on the UAD apollo wagon, I would like to be, but until this is solved I need to hold off.

Would love to just find someone who has had the same problem!!!

Here's hoping....

Jack
mixerjack
New here

Re: Logic Pro Delay Compensation Bug

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:52 am

The best place for this is probably LogicProHelp.com.

Because you have something not immediately obvious happening, at random times in a session, and the effects are random, it's difficult to troubleshoot without sitting down and running repeatable tests to try and lock down the behaviour, what causes it, whether it is *only* related to UAD plugins, how to avoid it and so on - so I'd suggest post over there (if you haven't already) and be prepared to spend a few hours trying to troubleshoot and get some more specific repeatable behaviour - this will tell you whether it' a bug or not, and give you some solid details to give to the developers to fix.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby mixerjack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:12 am

I tried it, twice...

It seems random, but it's definitely not. Like I said, it would be a start just to find someone that has had the same problem ! Thanks for replying.

Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mixerjack
New here

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:39 am

Yep, "random" was just a quick way of paraphrasing your issue, just meaning you don't have specific conditions or behaviour yet - I do understand the issue you are having.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest271017 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:47 am

I've seen this reported repeatedly on both Mac and PC with Cubase, re; late/early audio and MIDI recording. On the PC side, there are a couple of options to fix it, but not on Mac. These are System Timestamp and in the case of MIDI, using emulated ports.

Again, I'm coming from Cubase and PC, but maybe something I say will ring a bell for those who use your DAW/ platform.

In Cubase, internal and external effects differ re; plugin delay compensation. Internal is compensated, external is also, but only if set up as an external effect. If it isn't, no delay compensation for external. I don't know how Logic interacts with UAD, but it might be a start.

As to the audio timestamp, in Cubase, you can move the Start Point of a clip via the audio editor if it doesn't snap to the desired point. Again, don't know Logic, but maybe it will ring a bell for someone.
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby mixerjack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Again thanks for the replies people. I will perform some tests later this week....

Interesting that someone has had this issue with Cubase. Although I am sure it's related to logic... sure as hell would never happen with PT!
mixerjack
New here

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:34 pm

If you think it is something to do with UAD stuff have you tried messing around with "DSP LoadLock", "Extra Buffering" and "Force Use of Logic Live Mode for UAD plugins".

I have noticed weird timing issues sometimes and currently have LoadLock and Extra buffering turned off and "Force Use of Logic Live Mode for UAD plugins" turned on. This seems to work well for me.

You can find these options in The Configuration tab of the UAD Control Panel.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby mixerjack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Nice one bob!! I have played around with this before, but I will conduct a test !!

mixerjack
New here

Postby Jules2g » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:34 am

mixerjack wrote:Nice one bob!! I have played around with this before, but I will conduct a test !!

Hi Jack,

I'm bumping this thread because I am a Logic Pro user as well and I've been experiencing the same issues you were having with Plugin Delay compensation, and audio weirdly shifted in time after recording..

Did you have the chance to run some tests with the different UAD control panel settings?
To me the issue also seemed random at first, but then I had the same impression that it was worse whenever using UAD plugs.. so I'm really curious to see if you found some settings that work for you.

Thanks a lot
cheers/Jules
Jules2g

Postby rACed2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:18 am

I seem to recall seeing something about this with a solution on the logicpro.com forum [same place Desmond recommended]. Strongly recommend you have a look there - at posts about 7-14 days old.
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Postby Evermore » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:06 pm

hi, I joined SOS just to be able to join this thread, all my midi and audio is recording early and nothing I can find to do will fix it. I'll reply in more detail after work.
Evermore