You are here

Logic - nrp messages

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic - nrp messages

Postby Dave B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm

So I'm scratching my head a bit and wondering if I am just not searching for the right thing here. My problem is that I am looking to record the midi output from my Hammond and that sends note ons/offs just fine, but the Leslie 'slow / fast' and 'brake on/off' are sent as non-registered parameters. Each of which is sending 3 midi messages - MSB, LSB and a data value. All fine so far.

But I'm wondering if it's possible to set up an object for each of the 4 'actions' which represents the three messages needed for each action so that I can simply drop in nice, simple 'leslie slow', 'brake on', etc messages into the automation rather than struggle with messing about with the step editor - which is just about the only way that I can see to move the messages about. The automation lanes a) want to be linear changes rather than stepped (although if I cheat and cut 'n paste switch messages - such as sustain - into the lane, it does seem to change to stepped mode) and b) would need me to fiddle with 3 lanes, which is a pain.

Am I onto a loser here? Or am I just not searching for the correct thing? Or is there a better way of handling NRPs that I don't know about?

:(
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Logic - nrp messages

Postby desmond » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 am

As nrp messages are individual messages, I don't think there is a way off the top of my head to treat three messages as one "thing" in the editors.

What I might do is either have a separate region which contains the messages, which I can duplicate, move about etc, alongside the tracks with the notes or, perhaps a better approach is to use a single CC that you are not using for anything else, but transform that CC message into the correct nrp messages on the way out with a transformer object in the environment - so you only have to edit/move one CC, but it's transformed on the way to the device into the correct message.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:14 am

Cheers Desmond. I was googling more last night and a couple of other posts somewhere were talking about transforming the data - your explanation is clearer and makes sense.

I've also learnt that I should be searching for 'nrpn'. Always helps to have your terminology right. :)

I still reckon that, given more gear is using these composite nprn messages, we should be better at handling compound messages or setting up 'meta' messages (although that term is already taken in Logic). Ah well.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

Dave B wrote:I still reckon that, given more gear is using these composite nprn messages, we should be better at handling compound messages or setting up 'meta' messages (although that term is already taken in Logic). Ah well.

Maybe, but the point is, even though it doesn't do this by default, you *can* setup exactly this. Use an unused meta event if you want, and a quick few minutes to set up an nrpn transformer in your autoload environment (and an already assigned and routed track) and you'll always have it ready to go...

Alternatively, thinking about it again with more modern features ( :) ), you could probably do something simpler with the MIDI scripter plugin - a few lines of js to handle the transformation and output of nrpn messages, save it as a script in your channel strip setting (or integrated as a Patch together with instrument assignment and MIDI script), and no extra routing required - that's absolutely the way I would do it.
desmond
Jedi Poster