You are here

Before you install iTunes 12.7 .....

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Before you install iTunes 12.7 .....

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Apple have now removed all the ability to centrally control and update apps via iTunes and now we _must_ do everything by the i-device.

grrr....

This is galling to me - I use the mac as a 'hub' so that I only ever download apps that might be on multiple devices once. Now I don't have that option. And I'm annoyed. I also controlled backups when sync'ing and decided when to check for iOS updates there as well. Whilst you can still do the latter, it's going to be more of an annoyance as we are being discouraged to plug the device into a mac.

And I'm wondering how long it'll be before iTunes is scrapped completely as Apple will want everyone to stream everything - I still buy CDs and rip them so I guess it's not going to be long before I can't do that any more. Which is crazy

grrr ... again ....

Today, I, for one, do not welcome our Cupertino overlords! :protest:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Before you install iTunes 12.7 .....

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:43 pm

I think it's great - removing unnecessary crap from iTunes is one way forward, and managing apps from within iTunes didn't make much sense, adding a whole bunch of mess, and was duplicated functionality anyway. It's trivially easy to click "Update" on your iDevice and most apps aren't that big anyway, but if you're used to the other way of working, then any forced changes are annoying, probably best stick to earlier versions (the upgrade warning was mentioned before you installed it so you had the choice.)

Anything to reduce the hideous mess iTunes has become is a step forward, imo...

I installed it yesterday... :tongue:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Having 3 iPads but being a Windows user, I have to say that I only have one “sacrificial” PC with iTunes on it anyhow, and will be glad to exorcise it :bouncy: I’ve been using Dropbox to get stuff in and out of them.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 pm

It's one thing to remove it from iTunes, but to discard the whole concept is just silly. OSX Server promised to be a central repository for your apps, but I could never get the thing to work - and we then discovered that we were expected to pay for it again each OS release.... again ... grrr ...

I just like keeping my bandwidth down to a minimum. Some apps aren't so small ...

TBH, Apple are still not making things easy for people - it would be a lot easier to build a lightweight playback service and just have iTunes be the front end so that you didn't need an absurdly big app running on one machine to serve your library. In fact, it would make much more sense for Apple to open the DAAP protocol up and allow lightweight servers on NAS kit to work, but they keep tinkering with it to block that. Shame really.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Dave B wrote:TBH, Apple are still not making things easy for people - it would be a lot easier to build a lightweight playback service and just have iTunes be the front end so that you didn't need an absurdly big app running on one machine to serve your library.

You know these days, Apple think you should just run the light "Music" app, and have 40 million songs everywhere without having to manage a library at all... And that type of thing is undoubtedly the future - the same for video/tv/movie libraries as well.

Yeah I know, I'm old school enough to want to curate, manage and deal with my own library (as I'm sure many people here are), but the kids already think this is bizarre...

iTunes has always been clunky anyway, and I agree, it would be great to have a little iTunes server app that could let other devices access the library without having to have iTunes running...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm

I'm seeing that people are now once again actively working on daap servers. I need to rebuild my fileserver box (and re-do some backups to it) with a newer version of linux, so I'll probably have another bash at a dedicated server and some ssh sync'ing scripts.

Because I'm an old farty too .... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:26 pm

desmond wrote:I agree, it would be great to have a little iTunes server app that could let other devices access the library without having to have iTunes running...

I do have iTunes on a PC, but only because I find it a reasonably reliable ripping device to the ALAC format and simple for metadata input and editing -- there are various other software platforms that would do as well, I know, but I'm used to iTunes and it does all I need it to do.

For audio playout I use Sonos exclusively, which plays the audio files direct from the NAS server quite happily. I never have iTunes 'running' in the background.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 pm

I like the Sonos idea, but I'm trying to be greener and even with a low powered media server, I'll still using up power that I shouldn't. I'm currently considering using a Raspberry PI as a streaming server with a big usb / flash drive attached. I like the idea and wan to check the power is low..
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 pm

As we head towards a future where everything is served to your iDevices (including computers) from an apple server and your computer becomes just like an iPad/iPhone running an operating system just like your iPad/iPhone and local storage is only used for a cached copy of your data; stored, rented and owned by Apple, who allow you access as long as you pay the subscription costs then I guess we may see more of this sort of shenanigans.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 pm

I like iTunes on Windows but you already knew I was a weirdo! :lol:
I only use it with an iPod Classic so it gets little usage anyway in terms of synchronising.

As more people move away from desktops and laptops it's no surprise to see Apple depreciating the relationship between PCs and iDevices.
I see it being more of an issue in a work environment where you might want to update hundreds or thousands of devices but I imagine they have tools for that!
I'd look into seeing if there is something you can use as a consumer.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ore_terra » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:44 am

Agharta wrote:I like iTunes on Windows but you already knew I was a weirdo! :lol:
I only use it with an iPod Classic so it gets little usage anyway in terms of synchronising.
you're not alone :wave: :lol:

I like it too. I only use it to sync stuff when I want to get films into the iPad for trips, though.
ore_terra
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am

For getting media onto your iPad/iPhone without having to use iTunes you can simply upload to a cloud service and use a cloud-enabled player to get at it. You can download it for offline access, so it's actually held on your device.

I use Cloudbeats, which works extremely well. I choose to upload most of my music onto MediaFire, but it works with all the usual suspects, including Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and the like.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ore_terra » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 am

The Elf wrote:For getting media onto your iPad/iPhone without having to use iTunes you can simply upload to a cloud service and use a cloud-enabled player to get at it. You can download it for offline access, so it's actually held on your device.

I use Cloudbeats, which works extremely well. I choose to upload most of my music onto MediaFire, but it works with all the usual suspects, including Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and the like.
I know, but it's quicker through iTunes.
ore_terra
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:03 am

The Elf wrote:...including Google Drive...

Google Drive is ending support for its desktop apps in March 2018, in case this affects folk - see here:
http://www.popsci.com/google-drive-chan ... op-clients
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,026 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 pm

ore_terra wrote:
The Elf wrote:For getting media onto your iPad/iPhone without having to use iTunes you can simply upload to a cloud service and use a cloud-enabled player to get at it. You can download it for offline access, so it's actually held on your device.

I know, but it's quicker through iTunes.
:o Not in my experience! I run off a mix into Dropbox (or MediaFire, etc), stand up to leave, and by the time I've got to my car it's available for me to play. What could be quicker than that?!

No software to run, no cables to connect...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:11 pm

The Elf wrote: :o Not in my experience! I run off a mix into Dropbox (or MediaFire, etc), stand up to leave, and by the time I've got to my car it's available for me to play. What could be quicker than that?!

No software to run, no cables to connect...

Not quite the same when you got a handful of 1.8GB video files to transfer... that would take a *week* on my internet connection (or at least *would*, if had one...), or *hours* on local wifi alone.

iTunes via USB is still the fastest most direct way for anything more than a few hundred MBs...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm

Yeah, I sympathise. My world changed when I got fibre internet! I can download a 1GB file in a matter of seconds now.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 pm

The Elf wrote:Yeah, I sympathise. My world changed when I got fibre internet! I can download a 1GB file in a matter of seconds now.

Grr.... sore point!

It's now taken 6 weeks for BT to put in a phone line + internet here, and we're still waiting. Maybe next week I'll get regular internet back. Or perhaps the week after... who knows...?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Ok, for audio... fair enough. I was thinking in movies
ore_terra
Regular

Postby job » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm

You guys don't jailbreak your iDevices i guess? iTunes syncing and transferring doesn't suit me at all, i find it cumbersome and restrictive, and i much rather just plug it in and treat it as a hard drive. Think i'm going to move completely to Windows as i like Windows.

I'll still use iTunes for music and podcasts though :thumbup:
job
Regular

Next