You are here

Before you install High Sierra...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Before you install High Sierra...

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 am

Bizarre Edge Case : if anyone is using 32Lives to resurrect 32bit plugins, then you may have an issue. Apple deprecated Carbon (the UI framework originally shipped with OSX) in 10.8 but have finally removed it with 10.13. So if you have _really_ old plugins, then they just won't be able to show the UI.

Given that Cocoa (Carbon's replacement) is quite long in the tooth these days, I'm guessing that this is probably not an issue.

Like I said ... edge case ... :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

macOS High Sierra compatibility guide

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:25 pm

The folks at Production Expert sites have compiled an ongoing database detailing what plug-ins/applications are/are not High Sierra compatible.

Keep an eye on it here:
http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-one-blog//the-ultimate-pro-audio-guide-to-macos-high-sierra-compatibility
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 pm

What a splendid resource. Huge kudos to the guys behind this site.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby ore_terra » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Guys, how’s this going? Any crap after updating? I’m thinking about it now...
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:10 pm

ore_terra wrote:Guys, how’s this going? Any crap after updating? I’m thinking about it now...

What's the compelling reason for you to want/need HS, over, say, Sierra?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 pm

All tickety-boo here, running mainly Studio One Pro on MBP and on trashcan Mac Pro.

No crashes. Only grief was that HS is incompatible with my ancient Adobe CS5 suite, so stuck without Photoshop.

I’m quite frugal in my ownership of plug-ins relying on S1Pro’s native set, FabFilter, TDR, Lexicon and a few others. But I build my own plug multi FXchains in Studio One with its splitters and that covers most corrective and creative needs. So other HS users may have different experiences with other makes.
Forum Admin

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm on HS now, though not through an update...more a "graphics card blown and my laptop is so vintage it's expensive to fix" issue.

I had an issue installing my Slate Digital plugins, where 2 of them were not appearing in the plugin manager in Logic Pro. After a clean out of the plugin cache, and a couple of restarts, it's all working fine.

I have to admit, I don't see a lot of difference between this and Sierra, but then I'm probably not even using half of the new features. I like to use OS X the same way I have been since SL.

The only reason I ever updated in the past was due to Logic Pro needing an update. This one was kinda forced on me by circumstance!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Kwackman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm

I upgraded my old cheese grater Mac Pro yesterday.
All seems good, Cubase & my plug-ins all seem fine and the iD22 still recognised.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Alvvays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:33 pm

I upgraded to High Sierra a couple months ago and it seems fine. Except, I cannot type capital letters by turning on Capslock, I have to press SHIFT all the time. But I don't think it's from High Sierra
Alvvays
Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:14 pm

I HAVE JUST TYPED THIS WITH CAPS LOCK ON... so yes, it's nothing to do with HS I'm afraid. Dodgy contact on that key?
Forum Admin

Postby ore_terra » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Ein?! I dont have that issue either
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:41 pm

desmond wrote:
ore_terra wrote:Guys, how’s this going? Any crap after updating? I’m thinking about it now...

What's the compelling reason for you to want/need HS, over, say, Sierra?

Exactly what I thought till yesterday when the new Xcode came out, high Sierra only and only a point release 9.2 to 9.3. Mandatory for iOS 11.3 development, thanks Apple.

So installed it, had to reset nvram to get it to drive the monitor at 60hz, apart from that seems to be running. Startup probably three times slower than Sierra with the treat of seeing the progress bar go backwards, never seen that before!

Looking forward to all the other surprises in store for me.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:39 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Looking forward to all the other surprises in store for me.

A fine example of British understatement there. I salute you, Sir.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby BobTheDog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:12 am

:)

Well I got the first surprise, Apple has disabled Logic 9 from running on High Sierra, gives a message saying please update to Logic X.

Thanks Apple but I already have Logic X but I also need to run Logic 9, will have to use a VM now :(

Edit: Looked into it, they have removed the ProKit framework which Logic 9 uses. So I copied a version over but unfortunately ProKit uses parts of other frameworks that have also been removed/deprecated, so it looks like it isn't a simple hack to get it working.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:02 am

There is something a bit iffy with this version of OS X. I first noticed it on my LapTop which has had it one for a while: Anything done via the finder that has to deal with lots of small files is insanely slow.

For example I just tried to move some old Xcode.app files from my main machine to a new USB 3 SSD. The main machine has a read of around 1GB/Sec the SSD has a write of 450MB/Sec. These app files are around 10GB and have loads of small files so you don't see these sort of speeds when copying them but I would expect it to take a couple of minutes.

So I drag one over, after 10 minutes it actually starts copying with an estimated time of 6 hours!

Strange I think, that will adjust itself. It did after another 20 minutes it was up to 8 hours! I looked to see the transfer speed, between 1MB/sec and 4MB/sec.

So I cancel the copy and it just sits there. Went downstairs to have breakfast came back after 30 minutes, copy still trying to cancel so I killed finder to stop it.

So I use the terminal and tar the .app file directly to the new disk, takes a minute or so with speeds between 80MB/sec and 450MB/Sec.

So there is nothing wrong with the underlying OS/Disk Speeds it just seems to be finder.

After I had copied all my files, 4 versions of Xcode 10GB each I deleted them and then emptied the trash. The trash has now been emptying for around 1.5 hours to delete these 4 apps, what it is doing who knows.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:48 am

Like I've said previously, I'm not convinced, based on other's experiences, that HS is ready for prime time yet.

It's probably fine for the home/casual Mac user, but there are definitely things that are a bit flaky for the more advanced uses...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm

I will go to Sierra from Yosemite soon. A geek music friend who has the same machines and uses similar software to me (Logic, Kontakt and other plugs) went as far as High Sierra but cloned back to Sierra. He said too many problems from the music side. But he said its worth going to Sierra because the latest Logic has some handy new features.
That being said I'll assume Apple no longer will let me go to Sierra so I will have to purchase it from the local shop who keeps copies of every OS for late adopters like me. It will be a nominal fee and they will put in on a USB stick for me.
I'm tempted to mess with the salespersons head and ask for it on a DSDD floppy because I have an older machine :D
This is one of the advantages of age - developing selective eccentricities to keep them on their toes! :bouncy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:56 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:That being said I'll assume Apple no longer will let me go to Sierra so I will have to purchase it from the local shop who keeps copies of every OS for late adopters like me. It will be a nominal fee and they will put in on a USB stick for me.

If you still need Sierra, follow these steps:
Use this link to open the macOS Sierra page on the App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12

More:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208202
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:27 pm

Like I've said previously, I'm not convinced, based on other's experiences, that HS is ready for prime time yet.
It's probably fine for the home/casual Mac user, but there are definitely things that are a bit flaky for the more advanced uses...

I agree with Desmond.

I travelled over to Manchester University a couple of weeks to ago to do the data extraction for a Cochrane systematic review with a colleague there. They had just got a new iMac with High Sierra, but we encountered serious problems using some software called RevMan (the latest version) when RevMan would not save data we had inputted nor do calculations correctly. From another colleague, it turns out that someone else, in Oxford, had similar problems with a new iMac running HS. Fortunately the old iMac was still sitting there next to the new one, so I networked the old one and that ran the software perfectly.

If it has a problems with RevMan, I suspect it is to do with how HS deals with Java. My own MBPro is sticking to Sierra for the time being (I normally stay one OS build behind on the Mac).

I thought you might be interested in this story, although it is not an audio issue.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:12 pm

I still have two Mac Pros that can't run Sierra, I've just updated the one in my office from Mavericks to El Capitain (the last OSX they can run) and plan to update the Studio Mac too. I want to update my wife's iMac and my MBP (both of which can run HS) to EC too so I'm not having to remember the quirks of two different OSX versions.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext