You are here

Which Macbook Air?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Which Macbook Air?

Postby Chromeman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi folks, my son has just gone to uni and conveniently after one term his PC laptop has given up the ghost so he's looking for a replacement in the form of a Macbook Air. Whats's a sensible spec that won't break my bank? There are a zillion versions on ebay but I'm thinking some may now be overpriced as its close to Xmas. Should I wait? Budget is around £500, £600 max. Cheers.
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Which Macbook Air?

Postby Agharta » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm

If you can stretch a bit more look at the Apple Refurb Store as at least you get a warranty that is kosher.
You will need to look regularly as they will be adding stock daily I presume:
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/ho ... ldeals/mac
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Not often I agree with Agharta completely on something but he's got this one bang to rights. We bought a refurb Air years back for my wife to use at uni and it's been excellent.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Agharta » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Not often I agree with Agharta completely on something but he's got this one bang to rights. We bought a refurb Air years back for my wife to use at uni and it's been excellent. CC

Plus the condition tends to be almost as new/as new which one would hope as the prices aren't that cheap.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Agharta wrote:If you can stretch a bit more look at the Apple Refurb Store as at least you get a warranty that is kosher.

Agreed. My current laptop and MacPro were both refurb site purchases.
They were like new, and I'm convinced the laptop WAS new.

If the prices even there are a bit too steep, rather than eBay, I'd go for something from a dealer like MacBank.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Since he's at Uni he can claim Apple's educational discount, it was 15% when I bought my MacBook Pro in 2012 so might even get you close to refurb price for a new one. Unless it's changed he can just walk into an Apple store with his student card and they'll sell him one at the ed price.

However, you're not going to get one for £600 though, the cheapest refurb is a 12" (with 20% off) at £909 on the Apple website this arvo.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Chromeman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Kwackman wrote:
If the prices even there are a bit too steep, rather than eBay, I'd go for something from a dealer like MacBank.

Cheers, this is what I was looking for. Bought a 2104 Air for just over £600. :thumbup:
Chromeman
Regular

Postby Agharta » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:30 pm

It's worth looking on HUKD for Apple deals:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/apple- ... as-2850844
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)