You are here

Is this mac "decent" for music production...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Is this mac "decent" for music production...

Postby Dee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm thinking of moving over to the mac platform and a friend has sourced me this......he said it will be a "bargain price" but while that's great I'm more interested in whether it'll be a capable machine for music production.......

"Mid 2010 frame. 2.8ghz quad core Intel xeon. 12gb ram (1 slot left for another possible 4gb). 8tb sata drive. no hdmi out but have it running 1080 through dvi-hdmi lead. Running Sierra really well."

I use Cubase, Kontakt, realguitar, Omnisphere, Halion 6, Superior Drummer, Session Horns etc.,

Should a system like that be able to handle the above + effects?

My main Music PC has once again become a jack of all trades so looking to mac as a specific music machine.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Re: Is this mac "decent" for music production...

Postby The Korff » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Yes, that should do the job pretty well. Add an SSD for samples and you'll be doing well, I think.
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 pm

I'd fill the RAM and add another couple of drives (as Korff recommends). Those Mac Pros (I had an earlier one) are pretty darned good and I'm a fan of 'more, smaller' drives rather than a single uber drive. It has 4 bays and they are a doddle to install.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Stephen Bennett » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 pm

You can also upgrade the processor to a faster 6 or 12 core. And a boot drive SSD also speeds things up.

Stephen Bennett
New: Tim Bowness album 'Lost in the Ghost Light'. Feat: Colin Edwin, Bruce Soord, Hux Nettermalm, Kit Watkins,  and the legendary Ian Anderson.