You are here

Logic Pro X questions from a Newbie with a project to do!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X questions from a Newbie with a project to do!

Postby james090 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi all,

I did post previously about a project I wanted to do in Ableton, but need to deliver in Logic Pro X so this is a follow on with some questions. I also know that this isn't usually what you do (start a project in a DAW that you don't know!) but I last used Logic 8 around 10 years ago, then left.

I downloaded Logic Pro X and started to find my way with the Midi side, which is like I remember and always been good. But have some probably silly questions below that I can't seem to find, when using (as I come from another DAW)

1. I believe to get a loop to lock to the timeline and project (like Garageband, Acid Pro, Ableton etc) you enable FLex Time at the top of the project and 'stretch' your loop to the nearest bar? Then you can drag this out as it perfectly loops.
But is there a quick way (now that this loop is locked) to change pitch on the fly? (like Acid Pro, Ableton etc)? I used to use the +/- keys to pitch up loops in semitones while they were playing? Can Logic do this??

2. In the Piano Roll, I used to use Legato a lot for chords and found that again, BUT i did use to be able to select all notes and make them the same velocity? ie: 127?
Is there a quick key command to do that on the fly in the piano roll?

3. Whenever I change tempo/BPm of the overall project to see what it sounds like faster/slower - it opens up a tempo map and places tempo ramps at the top in the project - is there a way to turn this off?

4. Can markers on the arrange page have a 'line' that goes down the page/screen? I seem to have just a box at the top, and still dont know what i pressed to get them or how to delete them! lol

5. Is there a simple 'duplicate' command in the arrange window like Ableton CMD+D?
I can't seem to find one?

6. When a loop is 'looped' in the arrange window, can I cut it, duplicate or move it? It seems to loop to inifinity to the end of the project, then when i turn this off and want to cut it in half, even with the scissors, it stays as the loop tool and I cannot cut it or copy/drag it?

Sorry for so many questions, but these maybe stupidly simple but when composing, it stops me dead!

Thank you for any help!
james090
Regular

Re: Logic Pro X questions from a Newbie with a project to do!

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 pm

There's a lot here some manual reading would clue you up on, but in brief:

james090 wrote:But is there a quick way (now that this loop is locked) to change pitch on the fly? (like Acid Pro, Ableton etc)? I used to use the +/- keys to pitch up loops in semitones while they were playing? Can Logic do this??

There is a Transpose & Fine Tune parameter in the region parameters (used to be MIDI only, but also now works for audio).

james090 wrote:2. In the Piano Roll, I used to use Legato a lot for chords and found that again, BUT i did use to be able to select all notes and make them the same velocity? ie: 127?
Is there a quick key command to do that on the fly in the piano roll?

There are *loads* of tools for these kinds of things across the editors (and don't forget, you can use multiple editors separately to utilise each editors strengths for the edit operations you need.)

You can also use the MIDI Transform -> Fixed Velocity (or whatever custom transform presets you set up).

There's also more nerdy things like this:
http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-blog/2011/02/17/how-to-set-all-velocities-to-one-value-in-logic-pro.html

And many ways to edit velocity in the piano roll, including stuff like this:
https://ask.audio/articles/quick-tip-fix-midi-velocity-short-cut

Trawling through the key commands list will indicate some great possibilities.

james090 wrote:3. Whenever I change tempo/BPm of the overall project to see what it sounds like faster/slower - it opens up a tempo map and places tempo ramps at the top in the project - is there a way to turn this off?

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you already have a project with tempo changes, and you try to change the overall tempo at one point, Logic will tell you to use the tempo editor, a you've essentially already mapped out a series of tempo changes.

You can alway create another tempo set to try out alternative tempos in your project.

james090 wrote:4. Can markers on the arrange page have a 'line' that goes down the page/screen? I seem to have just a box at the top, and still dont know what i pressed to get them or how to delete them! lol

No. You can always read the markers chapter in the manual to find out how you got them and how to delete them! :)

james090 wrote:5. Is there a simple 'duplicate' command in the arrange window like Ableton CMD+D?
I can't seem to find one?

Copy/paste, option-drag, or "Repeat".

james090 wrote:6. When a loop is 'looped' in the arrange window, can I cut it, duplicate or move it? It seems to loop to inifinity to the end of the project, then when i turn this off and want to cut it in half, even with the scissors, it stays as the loop tool and I cannot cut it or copy/drag it?

The looped regions are showing you what's happening with a looped region. If you put another region somewhere on that track, the previous looped region will terminate for the new region. the new region can of course be loop, and you can turn loops to real copies, and you can limit the oun of loops by dragging out from the top right of the looped region (this basically lets you terminate a loop without using the old school method of placing an empty region where you wanted the loop to stop.

You can't edit the looped sections directly (other than change the length) as they are just a visual placeholder of what the source looped region is doing. Easiest thins is to just copy/place a new region (or another copy/alias of the looped region) where you want something different to happen. Tricky to explain, simple to demonstrate...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby james090 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks Desmond!

i will consider these replies.. but with regards a manual, is there one in the software? as i thought this was download only now as with most Apple products, but when you mention 'manual' I have a flashback to my Logic 7 box with 2 of the biggest manuals you'd ever seen!!
james090
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm

The manual is available from the Help menu, online here https://support.apple.com/manuals/logic and also in the iBook store (effectively a PDF-equivalent) at https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/logic-pro-x-user-guide/id960809726?mt=11...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby james090 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:33 am

Thank you Desmond,

One other quick question, while I sit in front of Logic, can you merge or drag and drop other logic sessions into each other?

I am creating songs in their own Logic sessions, but know that I will want to add these onto the end of others within the same session, to create a medley at a later point, so is it possible to drag drop on the end of another Logic session (with MIDI and Audio) so it opens at the end? (Import?)
james090
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:00 am

james090 wrote:One other quick question, while I sit in front of Logic, can you merge or drag and drop other logic sessions into each other?

I am creating songs in their own Logic sessions, but know that I will want to add these onto the end of others within the same session, to create a medley at a later point, so is it possible to drag drop on the end of another Logic session (with MIDI and Audio) so it opens at the end? (Import?)

You can open multiple projects and copy/paste what you want between them, or you can use the selective project import feature to import whatever data you like from a different project (go to the the All Files browser (Or File -> Import -> Logic Projects), select a project, and then click "Import" at the bottom of the window. You can then choose what you want to import...)
desmond
Jedi Poster