You are here

New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 pm

job wrote:
redlester wrote:My guess is that you don't go to the file menu to save a program but rather ctrl/cmd S, and ctrl/cmd shift S for save as

Agree that's probably what I should be doing but you underestimate my Luddite-ness in this respect! I always use the mouse to go File>Save As, with any piece of software, to save something. Always have done. :ugeek:
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:00 pm

redlester wrote:Agree that's probably what I should be doing but you underestimate my Luddite-ness in this respect! I always use the mouse to go File>Save As, with any piece of software, to save something. Always have done. :ugeek:

Just imagine how much time and effort you are throwing away by slowly aiming the mouse at the menu hundreds of times a day..! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 pm

desmond wrote:Just imagine how much time and effort you are throwing away by slowly aiming the mouse at the menu hundreds of times a day..! :headbang:

... and that's not considering the RSI problems mousing can cause. After 35+ years of using one for considerable hours every day, my RSI can flare up badly.

Shortcuts will save you - mark my words. :-)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby job » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 pm

I also find it increases one's enjoyment of a program, although maybe that's a personal thing. It's like i'm 'controlling the software' and 'in control', rather than just selecting functions on the interface of an app.

redlester wrote:Agree that's probably what I should be doing but you underestimate my Luddite-ness in this respect! I always use the mouse to go File>Save As, with any piece of software, to save something. Always have done. :ugeek:

Let's take one step back then... do you use the space bar to start and stop playback? That's a hotkey :thumbup: The play button on the transport is the cursor switch. You've just stopped at some random point with your hotkey assimilation because, at a guess, it feels like hotkeys slow you down due to not having them in memory. And they do. But that's only temporary until you remember them :thumbup:

Hunting and pecking is easy. Learning to touch type is awkward and painful... grr, and it's so slow too! ;)
job
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 pm

I use a mouse sometimes even when I know the hot keys and use them. I consider it thinking time. Sometimes doing things slowly helps the workflow overall. Your mileage (as our American cousins say) may vary.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I consider it thinking time.

That's what they used to say about rewinding the tape! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 pm

people must think faster now than in the age of tape . . . . . . . . .
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby redlester » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:08 am

job wrote:Let's take one step back then... do you use the space bar to start and stop playback? That's a hotkey :thumbup: The play button on the transport is the cursor switch. You've just stopped at some random point with your hotkey assimilation because, at a guess, it feels like hotkeys slow you down due to not having them in memory. And they do. But that's only temporary until you remember them :thumbup:

Hunting and pecking is easy. Learning to touch type is awkward and painful... grr, and it's so slow too! ;)

I know, was just being a bit tongue in cheek. I do use hot keys, but only selected ones, and with Save As you picked one of the ones I have never used!

It gets stranger when I think about it more... because I tend to right click with the mouse to copy a file or files, but then to paste it somewhere else I normally use Ctrl/Cmd+V! There's nowt so queer as folk.
redlester
Regular

Previous