You are here

New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm

job wrote:
redlester wrote:My guess is that you don't go to the file menu to save a program but rather ctrl/cmd S, and ctrl/cmd shift S for save as

Agree that's probably what I should be doing but you underestimate my Luddite-ness in this respect! I always use the mouse to go File>Save As, with any piece of software, to save something. Always have done. :ugeek:
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 pm

redlester wrote:Agree that's probably what I should be doing but you underestimate my Luddite-ness in this respect! I always use the mouse to go File>Save As, with any piece of software, to save something. Always have done. :ugeek:

Just imagine how much time and effort you are throwing away by slowly aiming the mouse at the menu hundreds of times a day..! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

desmond wrote:Just imagine how much time and effort you are throwing away by slowly aiming the mouse at the menu hundreds of times a day..! :headbang:

... and that's not considering the RSI problems mousing can cause. After 35+ years of using one for considerable hours every day, my RSI can flare up badly.

Shortcuts will save you - mark my words. :-)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby job » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:58 pm

I also find it increases one's enjoyment of a program, although maybe that's a personal thing. It's like i'm 'controlling the software' and 'in control', rather than just selecting functions on the interface of an app.

redlester wrote:Agree that's probably what I should be doing but you underestimate my Luddite-ness in this respect! I always use the mouse to go File>Save As, with any piece of software, to save something. Always have done. :ugeek:

Let's take one step back then... do you use the space bar to start and stop playback? That's a hotkey :thumbup: The play button on the transport is the cursor switch. You've just stopped at some random point with your hotkey assimilation because, at a guess, it feels like hotkeys slow you down due to not having them in memory. And they do. But that's only temporary until you remember them :thumbup:

Hunting and pecking is easy. Learning to touch type is awkward and painful... grr, and it's so slow too! ;)
job
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 pm

I use a mouse sometimes even when I know the hot keys and use them. I consider it thinking time. Sometimes doing things slowly helps the workflow overall. Your mileage (as our American cousins say) may vary.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:21 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I consider it thinking time.

That's what they used to say about rewinding the tape! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 pm

people must think faster now than in the age of tape . . . . . . . . .
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby redlester » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 am

job wrote:Let's take one step back then... do you use the space bar to start and stop playback? That's a hotkey :thumbup: The play button on the transport is the cursor switch. You've just stopped at some random point with your hotkey assimilation because, at a guess, it feels like hotkeys slow you down due to not having them in memory. And they do. But that's only temporary until you remember them :thumbup:

Hunting and pecking is easy. Learning to touch type is awkward and painful... grr, and it's so slow too! ;)

I know, was just being a bit tongue in cheek. I do use hot keys, but only selected ones, and with Save As you picked one of the ones I have never used!

It gets stranger when I think about it more... because I tend to right click with the mouse to copy a file or files, but then to paste it somewhere else I normally use Ctrl/Cmd+V! There's nowt so queer as folk.
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm

I've just found a rather nifty freeby called Hosting AU. It's a sort of micro DAW whose primary purpose is hosting audio units though it does a few other things such as set up the environment (which sound output, which MIDI source, that sort of stuff). So for instance I've just bought Softube's Modular which doesn't come with a standalone app but has to be used from within a DAW. Bit of a pain starting up Logic in all its glory when all you want to do is play with Modular, but instantiating it from Hosting AU is nigh on perfect.

I love simple software that does a small number of things but does them well - my UNIX background, I suppose - and this is a classic of the kind. It's here if you want to try it, and this is a short demo.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Yep. I use Hosting AU all the time when I don't want to load a full DAW, it's a really nice bit of software...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Well it's taken just over six months, but I've now started to find myself - when using my Windows 7 PC at work - going up to the top left with the mouse momentarily when trying to close or minimise a window. ;)
redlester
Regular

Postby job » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 pm

^^
You may prefer to get used to CTRL/CMD+W to close a window. CMD+H hides the current app. No comparable key combination on Windows.
job
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 pm

job wrote:^^
You may prefer to get used to CTRL/CMD+W to close a window. CMD+H hides the current app. No comparable key combination on Windows.

ALT+SPACE>n minimises the current window on PCs.
Which is nearly as quick :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby job » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm

blinddrew wrote:ALT+SPACE>n minimises the current window on PCs.
Which is nearly as quick :)

Holy tomatoes Drew! I never knew. That is just fab! :thumbup:
job
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 pm

alt+F4 to close a window, windows+D to hide all windows and show the desktop.

Oops, I appear to be in the wrong forum. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby JFairweather » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Lots of good advice here. One thing I disagree with. There is never a need to totally shut down your Mac. Use sleep instead. Those with PC backgrounds tend to shut their machines all the way down. It is not necessary on a Mac. The Mac Pro in my studio puts in around 12-18 hours a day, six days a week. I haven't totally shut it down in over a year and that was during a remodeling. Runs great, no corruption, no problems.
JFairweather

Postby redlester » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:26 am

JFairweather wrote:Lots of good advice here. One thing I disagree with. There is never a need to totally shut down your Mac. Use sleep instead. Those with PC backgrounds tend to shut their machines all the way down. It is not necessary on a Mac. The Mac Pro in my studio puts in around 12-18 hours a day, six days a week. I haven't totally shut it down in over a year and that was during a remodeling. Runs great, no corruption, no problems.

I’ve tried both shutting down and using sleep, and noticed no difference at all regarding performance. Obviously shutting down totally is a more environmentally friendly choice, but what are the benefits of using sleep instead?
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:42 am

You have to consider what else is left on while the machine sleeps. For instance I've got the audio interface, a pair of powered monitors and a second screen sharing the same power socket as the Mac. If I want to shut those off too (which is what I normally do at the end of the day) I have to shut down the Mac. Also USB powered devices continue to be powered while the Mac is sleeping so that is wasteful. Sleeping is great for laptops but on environmental grounds much less so for non-mobile installations.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:35 pm

I turn off the UPS at the end of day. My computer monitor is instant on so it’s always drawing minimal current when "off". But the UPS when off still charges it’s battery when needed.
As an aside, I have a sneaking suspicion that the new iPad is never really off. To save battery life I usually shut off WiFi and then the iPad (not the hard off). I get a message that WiFi will be shut off for the day or something like that. So this iPad which I think I have shut off now turns itself back on and downloads updates etc. One morning the battery was dead even though I’m sure I shut the bugger off. So perhaps iPad does a form of sleep mode but it’s still doing things while I sleep.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Previous