You are here

New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
redlester wrote:Tonight will attempt to configure it to connect to my Synology NAS drive, which contains my mp3 music collection, then set up iTunes to connect to it.

Good luck with this -- this Apple discussion may therefore be worth reading first:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7668494

Excellent, thanks. I've had the iTunes/NAS thing going on for a decade via PC with no problems (even with Vista!), so fingers crossed. Still old school mp3/iPod Classic user here, not into Spotify streaming.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 pm

redlester wrote:The last thing I did before switching it off last night was search the internet to discover that I have to press "Fn+Backspace" in order to forward-delete text!

Of course, you're using the fiddly small keyboard. The full size keyboard is miles better. They've started making a full size bluetooth keyboard but the price is seriously over-egged. You can get the old wired version very reasonably priced on ebay.

Whatever keyboard you use if you code in C then it's helpful to know that you can get # with alt-3.
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6013
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:12 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:The full size keyboard is miles better. They've started making a full size bluetooth keyboard but the price is seriously over-egged. You can get the old wired version very reasonably priced on ebay.

I wish they'd do an external keyboard with backlit keys, like the laptops have... :protest:
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8181
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:52 pm

NAS drives mapped. iTunes connected and working. Cooking on gas now! :thumbup:

Had a bit of an issue with iTunes until I realised its hold the Option key while starting iTunes which allows you to select an existing library. That's similar to a PC but I had forgotten.

Just occurred to me I will now be able to AirDrop things like voice memo's from my iPhone to computer. Excellent.

Oh, and connecting to my wireless printer - a breeze compared with Windows! But you lot know this already...
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:56 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
redlester wrote:The last thing I did before switching it off last night was search the internet to discover that I have to press "Fn+Backspace" in order to forward-delete text!

Of course, you're using the fiddly small keyboard. The full size keyboard is miles better. They've started making a full size bluetooth keyboard but the price is seriously over-egged. You can get the old wired version very reasonably priced on ebay.

Yes I am finding the keyboard a bit restrained as I use a full size one with number pad for Windows. I can't go back to wired though, even my Windows one is wireless. Not a priority yet, although a proper mouse probably is.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 pm

desmond wrote:I wish they'd do an external keyboard with backlit keys, like the laptops have... :protest:

Do agree with that. For a while I contemplated getting the Editors Keys Logic keyboard which is illuminated but also rather expensive but then I came up with this:

Image

You can get plug in USB lamps like this at Amazon and elsewhere for just a few quid and they illuminate the keyboard beautifully when plugged into one of the USB sockets on the wired keyboard - another reason for preferring the wired to the bluetooth keyboard. In white they even look the part!

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6013
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby zenguitar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 am

Whilst I have been Windows for decades and have an Android phone I also have an iPad mini. My laptop, phone and tablet are all overdue an upgrade and I am looking at getting an iMac, iPhone 8 and iPad Pro. Hence a number of visits to the Apple store in recent months and asking questions.

It does appear that you can book yourself into familiarisation sessions to learn your way around a Mac. So don't be afraid to head for your local Apple store and ask for help/advice. There may well be free sessions available for you.

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 8695
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 am

zenguitar wrote:Whilst I have been Windows for decades and have an Android phone I also have an iPad mini. My laptop, phone and tablet are all overdue an upgrade and I am looking at getting an iMac, iPhone 8 and iPad Pro. Hence a number of visits to the Apple store in recent months and asking questions.

It does appear that you can book yourself into familiarisation sessions to learn your way around a Mac. So don't be afraid to head for your local Apple store and ask for help/advice. There may well be free sessions available for you.

Andy :beamup:

Didn't know that, cheers. It might be dangerous though if I get to see an iMac Pro in action - no telling what might happen to the credit card! (And subsequently my marriage!) :headbang:
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby job » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
job wrote:On mac the documents folder is kept nice and clean for your own stuff.

Oh how I wish that was true. Plenty of programs create folders in Documents...

Interesting, i've never experienced this on Mac, although i guess it's a program use case by the looks of it.

ConcertinaChap wrote:Sorry, this is off-topic but it is a sore point with me.

Yep, irks me too... one of the first things i do on a Win install is create a my documents folder inside the My documents folder :headbang:
job
Regular
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:12 pm
 

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:56 am

You may or may not wish to use this facility, but I find it very good for quick access to things.

FILENAME EXTENSIONS -- in Finder prefs, under Advanced cog icon, I'd advise checking/ticking the top Show all filename extensions. This will ensure you see .aif, .wav, .txt, .pdf, etc etc at the end of your filenames.

MAKE ALIAS -- I tend to right-click on folders and files then Make Alias (shortcut) and move/copy the alias into every place where I might want quick access. You can make as many as you like and clicking any alias will get you to that place, el pronto [will this be the new macOS nickname for the eventual Mac Pro? tee-tee...]

Sidebar options.jpg


FINDER SIDEBAR -- I also drag folders (directories) into the lefthand Sidebar Favourites (sic) of the Finder window that appears when you open a new Finder window or click on the hard drive icon -- the latter only shows on your desktop if you choose it to in the Finder preferences [command key plus comma key]. Sidebar prefs can be set up in Finder prefs too -- see screenshot. I use the Sidebar shortcut, for instance, to take me straight to my Songs folder for Studio One DAW. You can add and remove such folders, easily at any time. Very useful.

Tags.jpg


TAGS -- I use these all the time, as a fast way of seeing, say, all current versions of software in my Applications folder. I created a tag called Latest Version and assigned it to green colour, and tag relevant files. (I tend not to remove the old version when updating software, until I know it's rock solid. Studio One allows this, some apps do not.) These tags show up in the Sidebar too if you want them there - see Sidebar prefs in Finder prefs.

Items added to Mac today search.jpg


CUSTOM SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES -- you can create your own Search 'bookmarks' and one I find useful is Show all items added to Mac today -- see screenshot. More advice on Spotlight here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25589
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Forum Admin wrote:You may or may not wish to use this facility, but I find it very good for quick access to things.

FILENAME EXTENSIONS -- in Finder prefs, under Advanced cog icon, I'd advise checking/ticking the top Show all filename extensions. This will ensure you see .aif, .wav, .txt, .pdf, etc etc at the end of your filenames.

MAKE ALIAS -- I tend to right-click on folders and files then Make Alias (shortcut) and move/copy the alias into every place where I might want quick access. You can make as many as you like and clicking any alias will get you to that place, el pronto [will this be the new macOS nickname for the eventual Mac Pro? tee-tee...]

Sidebar options.jpg


FINDER SIDEBAR -- I also drag folders (directories) into the lefthand Sidebar Favourites (sic) of the Finder window that appears when you open a new Finder window or click on the hard drive icon -- the latter only shows on your desktop if you choose it to in the Finder preferences [command key plus comma key]. Sidebar prefs can be set up in Finder prefs too -- see screenshot. I use the Sidebar shortcut, for instance, to take me straight to my Songs folder for Studio One DAW. You can add and remove such folders, easily at any time. Very useful.

Tags.jpg


TAGS -- I use these all the time, as a fast way of seeing, say, all current versions of software in my Applications folder. I created a tag called Latest Version and assigned it to green colour, and tag relevant files. (I tend not to remove the old version when updating software, until I know it's rock solid. Studio One allows this, some apps do not.) These tags show up in the Sidebar too if you want them there - see Sidebar prefs in Finder prefs.

Items added to Mac today search.jpg


CUSTOM SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES -- you can create your own Search 'bookmarks' and one I find useful is Show all items added to Mac today -- see screenshot. More advice on Spotlight here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25589

Top stuff, thanks! :clap:

I'm now investigating external drive options for a 2TB samples drive, and getting very bogged down. My connection options at the Mac end are;
Thunderbolt 1
Firewire 800
or USB 3.0.
Am ruling out SSD for the time being due to cost. Is 7200rpm that much of an issue for a sample drive? Because that rules out most (or all?) of the less expensive bus powered options.
Should I be looking at perhaps buying a TB3 enclosure and sticking a SATA HDD inside, and using an adapter to TB1 for the time being? Would I notice much difference against USB 3.0 for a sample drive?
Too many options!
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Suggestion: there's some good stuff in this thread. Might be worth making a sticky? Could be a home for any good tips that one comes across.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6013
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm

redlester wrote:I'm now investigating external drive options for a 2TB samples drive, and getting very bogged down. My connection options at the Mac end are;
Thunderbolt 1
Firewire 800
or USB 3.0.
Am ruling out SSD for the time being due to cost. Is 7200rpm that much of an issue for a sample drive? Because that rules out most (or all?) of the less expensive bus powered options.
Should I be looking at perhaps buying a TB3 enclosure and sticking a SATA HDD inside, and using an adapter to TB1 for the time being? Would I notice much difference against USB 3.0 for a sample drive?
Too many options!

Quoting myself feels wrong, but I've had what feels a better idea.

The 2TB for the sample drive is for future-proofing. My current sample drive contains about 850GB. So I could, for now, get away with a 1TB or even 2x500GB which might make SSD an option. I assume SSD via USB 3.0 is much faster than HDD of any description/connector. I would probably have to put them on a USB hub, but assume that's OK if it's the powered type?
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby zenguitar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

It's sticky now :)

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 8695
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Right, seriously...this is driving me round the bend now. On this little keyboard, which does not have a delete key, how do I delete files in Finder?

I can use Fn+Bksp to forward delete text, but this does not work for the above.

I'm trying to delete the files in my Downloads folder which are now redundant. I've done it by right-clicking and moving them to trash from the menu that comes up, but surely there must be a keyboard shortcut to delete files in Finder? I've Googled it and can only find advice applicable to keyboards with an actual delete key.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Command-backspace.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8181
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:35 pm

And Desmond earns another digital pint!

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6013
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:13 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:And Desmond earns another digital pint!

Thanks, but I never post and drive... ;)
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8181
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm

desmond wrote:Command-backspace.

Thank you. From what I’ve read even with the bigger keyboard I would have to press command-delete to do the same?
redlester
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 pm

redlester wrote:Thank you. From what I’ve read even with the bigger keyboard I would have to press command-delete to do the same?

No, it's always Command-Backspace to delete files in the Finder.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8181
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users