You are here

New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:12 pm

desmond wrote:
redlester wrote:Thank you. From what I’ve read even with the bigger keyboard I would have to press command-delete to do the same?

No, it's always Command-Backspace to delete files in the Finder.

Ok. I read wrong, or misunderstood.

For anyone reading this thread in future, if you are setting up network drives and adding them to login items to connect on start up each time, selecting “hide” next to the drive in the login options window does not prevent Finder from opening an instance for each drive at start up. If you search for solutions apparently there are ways around it using AppleScript and Automator, but I’ve left them as they are and I just close each Finder window after startup. It gives me a positive confirmation that the drives have been found and connected properly, so I don’t mind it too much. It would be a pain if you had a lot of drive connections though.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 am

For anyone wishing to relocate their user folders (Documents, Downloads, etc) to a different drive - I have moved mine from the SSD to the 1TB HDD on my Mac mini - this guide took me through it perfectly and it worked without flaws:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/01/25 ... her-drive/
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 pm

job wrote:I think the main difference from a user perspective is the naming of things: Program Files > Application Folder. ProgramData > system library. Appdata > user library.

Related to the naming of things, my Mac has two drives installed, and I am assuming they have been given the default names:
Macintosh SSD (256GB)
Macintosh HD (1TB)
The one labelled SSD is obviously the system drive, for applications etc.

Another tip for future newbies to avoid confusion, many if not most of the videos and articles you will find showing tips on setting up the Mac are based on machines with only one drive installed. The more recent ones will therefore talk about doing things on the "Macintosh SSD" however the older ones will refer to it as "Macintosh HD" even when what they are actually referring to is the system drive. Obviously it depends on what your individual computer is fitted and set up with.

Am still coming to terms with not having drive letters!
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm

redlester wrote:Am still coming to terms with not having drive letters!

8-) :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 pm

desmond wrote: 8-) :thumbup:

So I've been using it for one week, having only set up/got to know my way around the general settings and without installing any additional software yet (apart from Pages and Numbers, and the desktop element of an iOS password management app that I've been using for years) and I can report the following. Well, put it this way...

I've bought a 2 into 1 HDMI switch so I can run my PC and Mac right next to each other and switch between the two. Whenever I press the button to switch it over to PC, my heart sinks just a little! Am still assessing if that's simply because this is still a "new toy" or whatever...
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:11 pm

redlester wrote:I've bought a 2 into 1 HDMI switch so I can run my PC and Mac right next to each other and switch between the two. Whenever I press the button to switch it over to PC, my heart sinks just a little! Am still assessing if that's simply because this is still a "new toy" or whatever...

Who knows, give it a few months when you've found out new ways to do the things you used to on the PC so you're not constantly coming up with new "Hmmm how do i..?? little problems, and to start to develop new habits and unlearn the old ones, and you'll have more of a handle on how you feel about it. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm

There's nothing to stop you naming them C-drive, D-drive, E-drive etc if you really must. ;-)

I tend to call my drives by their function: TimeMachine TB Backup, TimeMachine USB2 Backup, BootCamp, SSD Music, SSD Samples, HD Projects and so on.

I've got friends who name them after their children -- chacun à son goût I guess.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby redlester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Forum Admin wrote:

There's nothing to stop you naming them C-drive, D-drive, E-drive etc if you really must. ;-)

I tend to call my drives by their function: TimeMachine TB Backup, TimeMachine USB2 Backup, BootCamp, SSD Music, SSD Samples, HD Projects and so on.

I've got friends who name them after their children -- chacun à son goût I guess.

Ah I did wonder. So the drive name is simply a label and not vital to any paths within shortcuts/aliases etc.? Similar to Windows then. Although I've just been reading (while I should be working) how aliases are dynamic and update if the target file is moved.

I assume the drive's actual system level reference, i.e. C: etc. on PC, is hidden from the user on Mac, at least within the normal Finder view?
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:02 pm

redlester wrote: the drive name is simply a label and not vital to any paths within shortcuts/aliases etc.? Similar to Windows then. Although I've just been reading (while I should be working) how aliases are dynamic and update if the target file is moved.

I assume the drive's actual system level reference, i.e. C: etc. on PC, is hidden from the user on Mac, at least within the normal Finder view?

No. Mac's underlying core is based on "proper" computers (ie Unix), not the 80s MS stuff.
There is no drive letter abstraction!

The path includes the drive it's on, eg
"/Applications" is the root of the system drive (whatever the drive itself is named), which the system already knows is coming from a particular drive.

"/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications" is the same place, only this time there is a direct drive reference to the path (which is where the drive is "mounted" in Mac-speak).

"/Volumes/myAudio/Samples/Sheep/Happy/" is a path that points to a folder on a drive named "myAudio".

So there are lot of ways to reference files on Unix systems, not even getting into aliases and symlinks and even more modern filsystem concepts...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby job » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Edit: guess not...

redlester wrote:I assume the drive's actual system level reference, i.e. C: etc. on PC, is hidden from the user on Mac, at least within the normal Finder view?

Probably? I wouldn't worry about things like that until you're fulled committed to the platform though.

For what it's worth, you can hide the drive letters on Windows as well if you want and can name them however you wish.
job
Regular

Postby redlester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 pm

desmond wrote:
redlester wrote: the drive name is simply a label and not vital to any paths within shortcuts/aliases etc.? Similar to Windows then. Although I've just been reading (while I should be working) how aliases are dynamic and update if the target file is moved.

No. Mac's underlying core is based on "proper" computers (ie Unix), not the 80s MS stuff.
There is no drive letter abstraction!

The path includes the drive it's on, eg
"/Applications" is the root of the system drive (whatever the drive itself is named), which the system already knows is coming from a particular drive.

"/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications" is the same place, only this time there is a direct drive reference to the path (which is where the drive is "mounted" in Mac-speak).

"/Volumes/myAudio/Samples/Sheep/Happy/" is a path that points to a folder on a drive named "myAudio".

So there are lot of ways to reference files on Unix systems, not even getting into aliases and symlinks and even more modern filsystem concepts...

The fact that I find all this quite fascinating probably says a lot about me!

The first time I ever properly used a computer regularly was when we had a system at work with an estimating software package which was run on Xenix (a version of Unix), back in the late 80's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 pm

redlester wrote:The first time I ever properly used a computer regularly was when we had a system at work with an estimating software package which was run on Xenix (a version of Unix), back in the late 80's.

I think the first time I actually remember using a computer was borrowing a ZX81 from someone for a weekend, and hooking i up to the family tellybox.

I remember I wrote a Basic program to plot dots on the screen randomly until the screen filled up. I was probably about 8 or 9, probably 1982-ish and until that weekend, I had no idea what programming, or Basic was...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 pm

desmond wrote:
redlester wrote:The first time I ever properly used a computer regularly was when we had a system at work with an estimating software package which was run on Xenix (a version of Unix), back in the late 80's.

I think the first time I actually remember using a computer was borrowing a ZX81 from someone for a weekend, and hooking i up to the family tellybox.

I remember I wrote a Basic program to plot dots on the screen randomly until the screen filled up. I was probably about 8 or 9, probably 1982-ish and until that weekend, I had no idea what programming, or Basic was...

Not sure if it counts but I had one of these programmable calculators, the TI58 I think
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-59_/_TI-58

All I remember of it was there was a programme which calculated Biorhythm cycles based on the current date and the user's birth date. It had no method of storage, but I used to know the programme input steps off by heart for it! You can tell what sort of teenager I was.
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 am

desmond wrote:I remember I wrote a Basic program to plot dots on the screen randomly until the screen filled up. I was probably about 8 or 9, probably 1982-ish and until that weekend, I had no idea what programming, or Basic was...

I did much the same at about the same time with the same computer, the ZX81. Only difference is I was 31 ...

Still it revolutionised my life and I switched into computer programming very happily for the rest of my working life.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby redlester » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:46 am

Another tip for newcomers:
If like me you are finding navigation in Finder a bit slow, due to the lack of an "up one level" button (feels like being back on Windows 7!), turn on "Show Path Bar" in the Finder>View menu. It will switch on a status bar along the bottom of Finder showing all the parent folders for wherever you are, and you can double-click any of them to go straight there.
redlester
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 am

redlester wrote:Another tip for newcomers:
If like me you are finding navigation in Finder a bit slow, due to the lack of an "up one level" button (feels like being back on Windows 7!), turn on "Show Path Bar" in the Finder>View menu. It will switch on a status bar along the bottom of Finder showing all the parent folders for wherever you are, and you can double-click any of them to go straight there.

I find column view in the Finder far more effective for this.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

redlester wrote:Another tip for newcomers:

Command - Up arrow is the up one level command...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:17 am

And don't forget to right-click on the Finder toolbar and customise it: add, remove and re-arrange icons.

This is my config on my work MBP:

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 10.15.21.jpg
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby redlester » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Can anyone advise on Zip utilities, mainly for un-archiving, for Mac?

I've grown accustomed to using 7-Zip on PC, which works with all archive types and most importantly allows viewing of files within an archive prior to extracting, and even to select just individual files within the archive to be extracted if required. It will even allow viewing and extracting of files from within an .iso disc image if so desired.

Am struggling to find an equivalent for Mac. I think WinZip for Mac may be able to do the selective part, but it costs £29 and I think it can only handle Zip files, not RAR etc.

Does anyone know a Zip un-archiver that gives me full control as described above, or do I just have to extract all files from an archive in order to find out what's in there? That seems so 1990's!
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm

The reason you can't find a zip utility is because from an early stage zip archiving has been built into the OS. If you right click (or CTRL-click for Mac one-button diehards) on a file or a folder you will be offered an option to compress "file or folder name". This will produce a file with the same name as the original file or folder but with .zip appended.

Just double click to unzip a zip archive.

I also have The Unarchiver which I got from the app store and which does all the other formats like RAR and tar etc. It's a while since I got it but I think it was free.

CC

Edit The Unarchiver is free but I see the same people make The Archive Browser which allows you to preview or extract individual files and that's just £3.99 in the app store.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

PreviousNext