You are here

Avid Applications Manager

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Avid Applications Manager

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Every time I boot up, an Avid Applications Manager now opens up, very (swearword) irritating, I did not ask for this, how can I switch it off ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: Avid Applications Manager

Postby Luke W » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:58 am

What platform are you on? If you're using a Mac (I'd assume so with it being in the Mac forum!), then you can right click on its icon in the dock, scroll to "Options" and un-tick "Open at Login".

If you're on Windows, I can't remember!
Luke W
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 am

Making the same assumption :). Go to System Preferences / Users and Groups. Click on the Login Items button then either click in the Hide box by Avid Applications Manager or, if you don't want it starting at all at startup use the +- boxes to remove it from the startup list entirely.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Gone To Lunch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:57 am

Luke -

'Open at Login' is not ticked

CC -

It is not in the startup list ?

There is an uninstall in Applications, but I am a little worried it might stop me running Sibelius ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:34 am

That's rather odd... A re-install may sort things out and give you some more hope, but apart from that I'm a little stuck!

As far as I'm aware, its just simply there to keep track of updates for your various bits of Avid software in one central location, it shouldn't need to be running to allow anything else to work. But saying that, I have mine always running in the background and just have it set up to not show its face, so can't tell you for sure either way.
Luke W
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:13 pm

We've not seen this thing but then we're still on Sib 7.5. If it's not in the startup list then Avid is being naughty. It's possible that there's a way of disabling it in it's own preferences, sometimes happens.

Luke W wrote:I have mine always running in the background and just have it set up to not show its face

That suggests an alternative approach.

Desmond? Are there any other places, do you know, where software developers hide auto-running apps?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Gone To Lunch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:40 pm

I got this from the AVID Sibelius forum :

Here's how:

•Go to Mac HD/Library/LaunchAgents
•Then right click on the file called com.avid.ApplicationManager.plist file and open it with Text Edit
•Change the RunAtLoad key to false
•Then use Save As and place it on your Desktop, it may add the word 'copy' to the end of the name.
•Click on the name to edit it and change the name so that the entry is called com.avid.ApplicationManager.plist file it may prompt you and ask you if you wish to add the plist extension, if it does then say yes.
•Now drag the updated file back into Mac HD/Library/LaunchAgents where it came from, it will ask if you want to replace or keep both, say replace then you will be prompted for your password.
•Enter you password to complete the copy process,

I tried this and it worked.

I am just annoyed that they can install it and run it as they wish, without asking me.

I think it is some sort of nudge behaviour for the horrible new subscription model.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 pm

This is very useful information, thanks, and of more general applicability. Looking in /Library/LaunchAgents I found a couple of Paragon Software apps referenced that were left over from a time when I had their extfs tool installed.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:I am just annoyed that they can install it and run it as they wish, without asking me.

I think it is some sort of nudge behaviour for the horrible new subscription model.

I have not upgraded my Sibelius version from 7.1.3 and the main reason is that a previous install added a peer-to-peer downloader. I only noticed it running months later.

See here

It made me nervous that they might do this sort of thing again.
wireman
Regular

Postby Gone To Lunch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Now I am worried.

I went to Steinberg Dorico presentation recently, and thought it was great !

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/dorico/start.html
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster