You are here

Spend more and buy a mac?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Spend more and buy a mac?

Postby MadManDan » Fri May 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Let me start by saying I do not wish to fan the flames on the religious war of mac v pc. I am on a tight budget and am about to finance a daw. My objective is to set it up stable as possible and keep it as many years as I can.

I have protools 12 and will only buy an Avid approved laptop.

I am prepared to spend $2k on it. Am considering the only Avid specified pc laptop, an hp z book g2.

Here's my problem. Back in the day I loved Macs. Their layout and workflow. But now my economic reality may just be pc.

Is there any real reason why I should consider increasing my budget and getting a mac? Meaning of the same power as my chosen pc.

Years ago pcs were more of a technical challenge in terms of all the possible onboard hardware, drivers etc. Customer service was easier for mac owners because a particular model can only have certain hardware inside.

Is this even a concern anymore? I am planning on getting only the avid spec laptop.

Would anyone care to weigh in with any arguments for upping the budget and going mac?

Thanks, Mad Man Dan
MadManDan
Regular
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Re: Spend more and buy a mac?

Postby desmond » Fri May 04, 2018 5:26 pm

The only real reasons to go one or the other is:

a) personal preference
b) some necessary requirement (eg, you need to run software only available on one platform)

Get what best works for your needs and budget. The work is all the same! ;) :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Sat May 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Avid and HP go together like bread and butter, I would get the HP.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Makes sense only if you know a Mac-only software, or you like the badge.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby MadManDan » Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 am

desmond wrote:The only real reasons to go one or the other is:

a) personal preference
b) some necessary requirement (eg, you need to run software only available on one platform)

I realized in addition, there is
c) available work in someone's studio

This is my reality. I have a colleague who is a post mixer. She could get me a shot at some potential work. First I have to come in and do a speed test. Her place is mac/pro tools.

I may just go mac for the simple fact that I don't want to walk in there and be like "Ummmmmmm....." on her mac.

FWIW I noticed a lot of the pro (money not so much of an object) facilities still hang on to the mac/pt platform. There are so many amazing combinations of computer/software nowadays, but back in the 90s this was the only game in town. I think that standard then became set in stone. Like, if you were to train on only one most universal platform, it would be mac/pt.

I remember my mac experiences back in the day, how it seemed much more fluid than using a pc.

In addition, I have a lot of garage band files that I'd love to turn into pro tools. And on that note, if I re-acquaint myself with garage band, it's sort of like "junior-Logic" training :headbang:
MadManDan
Regular

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon May 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Make sure you look up the Mac Refurbished Store. Can potentially save yourself quite a big a wedge.

However, if you are happy with the HP/windows/Avid combo, then I'd go for that. I would only go for Mac if you prefer MacOS to windows. I find windows a total pain to use in every respect, but my wife gets stressed out my MacOS. Stops her using my computer for anything so works well for all concerned!

The shortcuts and work flow of PT is really all you are concerned about, and that is pretty much the same on both platforms from what I can remember...I'm not a PT user, so I'm sure someone will come and disagree with me.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby ore_terra » Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 am

apart of the refurbished, consider 2nd hand. a top spec 2015 or even 2014 Macbook Pro is still a serious laptop nowadays, and of course the cost will be much lower than a new one.
ore_terra
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 08, 2018 8:27 am

I've just bought a 2012 MBP (13" 2.5GHz core i5 with 4GB ram) for £400. It was mint and boxed and had 49 battery cycles. The nearest equivalent cost nearly £1500 and has a non-upgradable SSD.

If it's the desktop route do consider a Mac Mini, much cheaper than iMac or Mac Pro but still powerful enough to run most things musical.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Tue May 08, 2018 8:43 am

ore_terra wrote:apart of the refurbished, consider 2nd hand. a top spec 2015 or even 2014 Macbook Pro is still a serious laptop nowadays, and of course the cost will be much lower than a new one.

2015's are still fairly pricey second-hand - typically £1800 for a high spec one.
It's a lot of money for a second hand machine...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Tue May 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If it's the desktop route do consider a Mac Mini, much cheaper than iMac or Mac Pro but still powerful enough to run most things musical.

I've just bought a Mac Mini for £500 off eBay, a 2012 i7 16GB RAM with 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD. See the "new Mac user" sticky at top of the page. Works like a dream so far, although whether it would have the oomph for pro work am not too sure. I struck gold I think, because as well as it being a bit of a bargain I found out after ordering that the seller lived not too far away and I was able to pop over and collect it that night!

Regarding the Mac or PC question, I am rapidly finding out each have their own foibles and benefits. Is it allowable to like both? Or is that lilly-livered fence-sitting? :mrgreen:
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue May 08, 2018 7:13 pm

redlester wrote:Is it allowable to like both?

But yes! A penchant for Linux is also permissible. Even Android is just an O/S when all's said and done. When it comes to holy wars, though, Mac v. Windows has nothing on the One True Brace indentation wars.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Folderol » Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
redlester wrote:Is it allowable to like both? When it comes to holy wars, though, Mac v. Windows has nothing on the One True Brace indentation wars.

CC
Careful young man. You're treading on thin ice here.
Everyone knows braces should be CENSORED
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby ore_terra » Tue May 08, 2018 9:59 pm

desmond wrote:
ore_terra wrote:apart of the refurbished, consider 2nd hand. a top spec 2015 or even 2014 Macbook Pro is still a serious laptop nowadays, and of course the cost will be much lower than a new one.

2015's are still fairly pricey second-hand - typically £1800 for a high spec one.
It's a lot of money for a second hand machine...
Yeah. 1500 was my 2014. But you said it: high spec
ore_terra
Regular

Postby johnny h » Wed May 09, 2018 9:42 am

I find it incredible that Windows is still such an intrusive operating system. Endless pop ups and inane questions about permissions, updates, firewall, java nonsense. And the file system still absolutely sucks.

Macs do cost a lot more of course, and I feel they have somewhat lost their vision since Steve Jobs died (such as nonsense features like the Touch Bar), they still remain absolutely beautifully constructed machines which retain their value long after most PC laptops end up in the skip.

If time has low value for you, PCs are going to beat Macs in the price / performance ratio for most applications. For me the value is in the very low setup and maintenance costs. Everytime I buy a new MacBook, I plug in the time machine hard drive and a few hours later its all working perfectly.

The beautiful design and relatively low depreciation is just an added bonus.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 am

Afraid I have to disagree there. Although our main machines are Macs I also have an MS Surface and a couple of virtual machines running W10 on the Macs for handling legacy apps. Yes, I prefer Macs and am prepared to pay the Apple Tax but the difference in usability is not particularly significant. Once you've learned your way round the OS there's little difference in the time it takes to perform tasks really. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby MadManDan » Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

I am looking at a new mid 2015 as i was advised about o.s. compatibility dead ends if I went older than that. For me also it has to be laptop
MadManDan
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:30 pm

johnny h wrote:I find it incredible that Windows

The Donald couldn't have said it better! :-D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Janneman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:39 pm

I agree with Johnny h. Had Windows for many and after years of frustration bought a Imac. Best decision ever.

johnny h wrote:I find it incredible that Windows is still such an intrusive operating system. Endless pop ups and inane questions about permissions, updates, firewall, java nonsense. And the file system still absolutely sucks.

Macs do cost a lot more of course, and I feel they have somewhat lost their vision since Steve Jobs died (such as nonsense features like the Touch Bar), they still remain absolutely beautifully constructed machines which retain their value long after most PC laptops end up in the skip.

If time has low value for you, PCs are going to beat Macs in the price / performance ratio for most applications. For me the value is in the very low setup and maintenance costs. Everytime I buy a new MacBook, I plug in the time machine hard drive and a few hours later its all working perfectly.

The beautiful design and relatively low depreciation is just an added bonus.
Janneman
Poster
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby paul tha other » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:56 pm

i cant explain why i think like this but i do..

mac for working on things
pc for everything else

to be honest though in the last few years ive not noticed much differance when i work on a pc..in saying that after a day of working on a pc and i get back onto the mac i do sigh a sigh of relief..i guess im just more comfortable on the mac for work

the only thing i think mac beats pc on is when its time to repair the computer.ie target mode etc....
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby resistorman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:16 am

The big problem in Windows 10 is the mandatory updates. If you go Windows get the Pro version so you can put off updates as long as possible. I've had a pretty good experience even with Home version until update 1803, and it has really hosed my Dell laptop... problems with VST plugins, my HDMI port... I need it for serious work next week and am scrambling to get it usable. My other machines with Pro are fine... I have them deferring major updates for a year. I've been using PCs for decades and never thought I'd say this, but you might want to consider an over priced under powered Mac LOL
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Next