You are here

G4 Powerbook Battery

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

G4 Powerbook Battery

Postby Still Vibrations » Sat May 19, 2018 8:38 am

For music I use a 2003 GB Powerbook for basic recording/editing and then take everything to a studio with Radar and valve processors/eq to mix the final recording. I only use 3 - 8 audio tracks with no software instruments or internal effects.
Does anyone think it's worth replacing the battery and if so does anyone know where to get a replacement? Or is this laptop about to become unusable after all these years?
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Re: G4 Powerbook Battery

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun May 20, 2018 10:03 am

Hi SV,

I wouldn't reccomend spending much cash on a laptop of that age.
You don't know if something else is about to fail.

However, a battery (if you can find one ) is cheaper than a new laptop, so if the G4 still does what you need - you might get a some more use from it.

Which exact model is it?
I'm assuming its aluminium, 12" 15" 17"

There should be a model on the battery (you will need to take it out to see it)
Its probably something like A1057.

I did find a couple of sites that may have what you need - but I've not used either - so I don't know if they are legit!

http://www.good-batteries.co.uk/brand.php/APPLE+battery
https://www.thebookyard.com/contact.php
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Re: G4 Powerbook Battery

Postby Still Vibrations » Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 am

Good advice Jumpeyspyder. You guessed correctly, it's an aluminium 15" model and can only run 10.4.11.
Although I am really concerned about the environment, when my wife patched up her old computer other things went wrong soon afterwards.
I have just discovered that you can run a G4 laptop without a battery but of course the date and time have to be reset every time it's switched on.
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)