You are here

Uninstalling Logic?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Uninstalling Logic?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi,

I have a laptop which has L9, LX and Garageband on and I'd like to get rid of the lot of them and free up the space for other purposes (one of which might be a minimal LX installation). I've been looking around online and apart from the fact that's files lying around all over the shop I can't find an authoritative list of what needs to be deleted. Lots of ads for programs to do it for me, mind ...

Can anyone recommend a site that has usable and accurate instructions for this task? Or, in desperation, a bit of software that would do it without screwing up anything else?

TIA,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: Uninstalling Logic?

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Well, any Logic user should ideally know and understand where content is placed.

Other than the apps themselves (which are easy enough to delete), factory content to check and remove includes:

/Library/App Support/Logic (Logic's main resources)
/Library/Audio (Loops, plugin presets etc)

/Users/*YOU*/Library/App Support/Logic (Logic's user resources)
/Users/*YOU*/Library/Audio (User Loops, plugin presets etc)

/Users/*YOU*/Music/Audio Music Apps/

And the various Logic preference files (search for "logic") in
/Users/*YOU*/Library/Preferences/
/Users/*YOU*/Library/Preferences/Logic (if you have this)

That'll take care of all the important stuff, provided you haven't chosen to install or move content to other locations (you'll have to sort those out yourself).

Edit: I just pointed CleanMyMac (respected uninstaller) at LPX to see what it suggested. It only really gets the app, basic preferences, the root App support Logic folder, and a cache folder (/Users/*YOU*/Library/Caches/com.apple.Logic10), some logs and the odd content installer lying around but misses a lot of the other content.

Doing it manually however works fine... :)

Note: for Garageband you'll be looking for /Garageband folders, rather than /Logic, obviously enough.. ;) But GB shares a lot of content with Logic anyway (eg Loop content).
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 am

desmond wrote:But GB shares a lot of content with Logic anyway (eg Loop content).

That's why I'm doing a clean sweep of all three, to make sure I don't leave one in an indeterminate state. But thanks again, Desmond. That's another pint to add to the pub's-worth I already owe you.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 pm

One day Desmond is going to collect on all these pints and he won't be sober for years! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...