You are here

Upgraded my Waves Plugins to V10 and can't find them in LPX - anyone encountered this?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Upgraded my Waves Plugins to V10 and can't find them in LPX - anyone encountered this?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Anyone having difficulty finding your Waves plugin licenses having upgraded to V10? I just did an upgrade and now Logic doesn't even see a Waves AU Plugin folder, let alone the licenses. Any guidance from anyone who encountered this and fixed it appreciated.

thanks!
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Upgraded my Waves Plugins to V10 and can't find them in LPX - anyone encountered this?

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Does Waves still require the user to run the AUreg utility to register the au plugins to the system with V10?

If so, and you haven’t after installing them, try that...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: Upgraded my Waves Plugins to V10 and can't find them in LPX - anyone encountered this?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:11 am

Desmond - I confess to be totally ignorant of how "Waves" does licensing. I only own 4 Waves plugins - so just bought them, installed their Waves Central utility and installed them and all was fine - never thought about it.

I got an email during the week telling me that V 10 upgrades were available, so upgraded. Beyond that I know nothing about how things work - any more than I know how iLok or eLicenser works, if you get my drift.

I just presumed that, given the size of the company and how central their plugins must be to countless serous production sites, that their upgrade process would work seamlessly - but - it doesn't. It's a mess. Waves Central upgraded my plugins, offered to delete version 9 ones which I let it do; but now Logic Pro is oblivious to three of them (effects); sees the CP80 instrument but tells me I have no license; and when I look at the plugins on my hard disk they say version 9.0.2 - not 10!

Waves on Facebook have an FAQ - but doesn't address my issues - but from their post - I get a sense they've made a botch-job of this.

I'm hoping someone has done this upgrade and resolved their issues to offer pointers.

I've logged a support call with Waves and will post back as and when they get back to me.

As it happens - I'm rebuilding my project studio - so I have absolutely no time-critical needs at the moment - so I'm not panicking about this - and why I'm happy to jump in the deep end feet first and upgrade early - but for anyone on a timeline with projects - I'd advise not to do this upgrade until the seemingly buggy issues are resolved.

Will post back when I hear from Waves; but will appreciate any pointers here in the mean time - and now that Desmond you've mentioned something I haven't heard of before (AUreg) - I've got some reading to do :-) . But to answer your question - I can see my licenses within Waves Central - and on watching it download and upgrade the plugin content I saw details on AU and VST formats - so would have hoped it "did its thing" in the background. But I'll check up on that utility you mention. Thanks.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:04 am

It's nothing to do with licensing.

As you know, plugins in general have to be installed to specific plugin directories to be recognised by the system.

However, for more than a decade, Waves plugins don't work like this. They put a single plugin, called a Wave Shell in the plugin folder. The actual Waves plugins are installed elsewhere, and they have a utility that scans the available Waves plugins (stored usually a sub folder in /Applications/Waves/) and then tells the system (and therefore hosts like Logic) that actually 292 Waves plugins exist and can be called, rather than just the single Waveshell.

I think my first Waves plugins were V4.x back in about 2006, and it worked like that then, and certainly works the same all the way up until V9 (I have no personal experience with V10 yet), which I why I suggested to check this out and try it. It should only take a minute to locate the utility and run it, then run Logic to see whether they show up.

(For my V9 plugins for example, it's /Applications/Waves/WaveShells V9/Waves AU Reg Utility *version number*.app)

Like I say, they've changed to this "Waves Central" acivation thing now so I'm not sure offhand whether this is still necessary, but it's worth a shot. Until then, I'll try to read the V10 install instructions...

Edit: Here you go:
https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-find-your-plugins-in-logic-pro-x

"5. Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > Waveshells V10 and run the Waves AU Reg Utility"
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 am

desmond wrote:However, for more than a decade, Waves plugins don't work like this.

Man, that's fugly*!

CC

* Post-spousal birthday party I'm a bit slewed but that still seems a rational reaction to me.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 am

It has some benefits in development terms, and also reduces the disk footprint as you don’t need to duplicate and maintain the tricky host stuff and probably copy protection in each of your many hundreds of plugins...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:31 am

Hi Desmond -

What I've figured out - so far - to my disgust - is that Waves plugins require payment for a mandatory "update plan".

So while I thought I was executing a run of the mill upgrade (the kind that Arturia, NI, Apple and others do all the time at no cost) - I find Waves now looking for $49 for my V 10 licenses to be activated.

I bought these plugins in various Waves 'sales' online for for $29 each - but obviously didn't read the small print - that you're locked into a bloody compulsory upgrade plan.

I absolutely abhor subscription models - I have dropped Sibelius and Adobe Audition for this reason (as much as I love those applications) - and here I inadvertently stepped into a similar plan.

So - for me - problem solved - no need to upgrade any further and you can ignore my request here for help - I'm deleting these plugins from my system and taking the hit of the initial outlay - I'll have nothing further to do with Waves.

Thanks for your time to date on this.

Regards,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:26 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:What I've figured out - so far - to my disgust - is that Waves plugins require payment for a mandatory "update plan".

Man, that's fugly!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:10 am

Double fugly
Is there any chance you have an earlier clone of your boot drive? You might be able to get your v9 back? But then will they work? This stupidity should be simpler. I have no problems with a company making money for upgrades but it sounds like waves were rather sneaky about this.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:41 am

I’m in the same canoe as Kevin, BUT I think if I do nothing I can just use the V9 versions, in fairness I bought them at knock down prices and they still work as they did so no need to upgrade?

I was aware of WUP so I suppose I accepted them for what they were.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:I bought these plugins in various Waves 'sales' online for for $29 each - but obviously didn't read the small print - that you're locked into a bloody compulsory upgrade plan.

You only have to pay WUP these days if you need to update to a newer version, as a plugin purchase doesn't mean you get updates to it for life - only for the same major version number (eg V9.)

However, as far as I can see, V10 has no new features, so you'd just be paying for a version number. Pretty pointless, and I'm sure V9 will be good for some years yet. You can pay the $49 five years down the line when you need to install your plugins on a future operating system where V9 absolutely won't work any more.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:25 pm

desmond wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:I bought these plugins in various Waves 'sales' online for for $29 each - but obviously didn't read the small print - that you're locked into a bloody compulsory upgrade plan.

You only have to pay WUP these days if you need to update to a newer version, as a plugin purchase doesn't mean you get updates to it for life - only for the same major version number (eg V9.)

However, as far as I can see, V10 has no new features, so you'd just be paying for a version number. Pretty pointless, and I'm sure V9 will be good for some years yet. You can pay the $49 five years down the line when you need to install your plugins on a future operating system where V9 absolutely won't work any more.

Tha problem is - I bloody well accepted Waves Central's offer to delete my Version 9 plugins (to keep my HD tidy - I thought this was a cost free upgrade that everyone would do, run of the mill, if you get m drift)!

that's why i'm in a mess :-( I'm not clear what's on my Hard Disk

Stupid move on my part overall. It'll likely take some time, but I'll try to work through it step by step and if Waves get back to me perhaps with their direction too.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:I bloody well accepted Waves Central's offer to delete my Version 9 plugins

Flaming hellfire, that's awful. It sounds like corporate dissimulation and totally transcends words like fugly. A better word might be bargepole, as in distance for avoidance of touch. You have my sympathy, sir.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:that's why i'm in a mess :-( I'm not clear what's on my Hard Disk

It would only have deleted the plugins in the V9 Plugins folder in the main Waves folder (and possibly the V9 plugin waveshell in th AU/VST etc plugin folder).

I'm sure you can reinstall V9 and get your old plugins up and running again without too much bother, if you don't have reliable backups for this machine.

Download older versions:
https://www.waves.com/downloads#older
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby PaulB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:14 am

HI Kevin,

I got caught out by this over the weekend too! I happily accepted the update of Waves Central to V10 thinking it would all be as transparent and seamless as usual, then when I went to try an re-install the plugins I had licences for, the shock hit - I would have to purchase a V10 licence for all of them :(

After the initial panic I found this page (https://www.waves.com/downloads/v9) and although it's a huge download (especially if you are on a not-very-fast-ADSL connection like me) you can at least get back to where you started :)

Good luck,

- Paul
PaulB
Regular

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks Paul -

That helped - a bit :-)

Having read it I randomly clicked pages all over my account, stumbled upon something not quite updated on my account on their web site; updated it; and inadvertently activated Waves Central on my computer and it then downloaded all the updates and everything is hunky dorey!

I had also (inadvertently) paid for some more months of update plan so that enabled me to get the updates.

So I think the issue was - this is not an update managed exclusively from "Waves Central" on your computer. you have to log in on their web site, click an "update" button associated with any legitimate plugin there - and then go to Wave Central on your computer and it does it's thing.

I suppose it's one of those " it's easy when you know how" things - so all in all, I got there.

I did get a reply from Waves support yesterday and there were similar instructions to check the web site - but they didn't sort it - but they were polite and helpful and I believe would have gotten back to my follow up email earlier today - but given I just sorted it; I cancelled the support call.

But thanks to everyone here - it helped keep the momentum going on what was actually a messy process - and I eventually got there with your pointer and lots of clicks on my account web pages (I'll have forgotten it totally by the next required upgrade of course :-) ).
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Well I'll withdraw some of my noises off but that still seems far more trouble than it's worth. TBH I've already got more plugins than I can use, a state I suspect many of us are already in so depriving myself of Waves (and their update plan) is not a big hardship. Glad you got there, though.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 pm

ConcertinaChap -

I haven't given Waves too much attention over the years to be honest - but their "sales" are very good these days - plugins for $29 that were at one time more expensive. So I've just bought four of them, and I have to say their CP80 Electric Grand is absolutely fantastic. I have the Prominy CP80 plugin which is excellent - but the Waves Elecrtric Grand CP80 Plugin is far better - I just don't think it can be done better.

And then there's the SSL E-Series Channel Strip for $29 - it's a no brainer frankly.

So traditionally I regarded Waves as a tad expensive, but these days they really are releasing many of their top notch plugins for very reasonable prices.

and even though I mentioned above I do not like subscription models - where for example with educational discount the _very_ best I could achieve owning Adobe Audition CC would be for 221 Euro - per year - ridiculously high - Waves in fairness only charge about 7 - 8 Euro per plugin for their"upgrade plan" which, although that only last a year, they do not kill your access after a year - as Desmond rightfully points out - you can carry on using your existing plugin for as long as your OS will support it - and then if you need to upgrade you can do it for the same low price of 7-8 Euro per plugin, capping out at 255 Euro for absolutely everything Waves make. So all in all - a quite fair way of doing it.

Further, the guy from Waves today pointed me to their procedure to uninstall my botched installed V 10 plugins and revert o V9 plugins at no cost - so they seem quite relaxed about the whole thing.

Indeed while the subscription model can be quite draconian from some vendors - I've noticed a relaxation in it by several manufacturers:

AVID Sibelius- where quite recently AVID have released Sibelius 8 Ultimate - a means of owning Sibelius outright once again (for the past couple of years they only provided a subscription option )

Roland Cloud. Here, Roland now allow you to buy outright one Roland Cloud plugin after a year of subscribing and one per year subsequently - so while they keep you linked into a subscription model, you can ultimately own your favourite plugins and then stop paying your subscription.

So thankfully, it looks like a bit of balance is establishing itself w.r.t to subscription models - although Adobe are still fleecing their Audition and other Application bases to this day.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:34 am

An interesting and reasoned response, thanks. I agree with you completely about subscription plans, in fact my wife is still using Sibelius 7.5 because she didn't want to get involved in that. As an aside I've just bought her Dorico 2 for her birthday - no subscription plan there either and a very generous crossgrade offer.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster