You are here

New MacBook Pros

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New MacBook Pros

Postby Agharta » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Apple Says 2018 MacBook Pro Throttling is a Bug, Fix Available Now in New macOS Update:
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/24/20 ... g-bug-fix/

ConcertinaChap wrote:
It should also serve as a reminder that everyone should be backing up their data on a regular basis, whether it's to an external device (like a NAS box), the cloud, or both.
Well, yes. After all if the SSD itself fails you're in the same situation. CC
That's a given for any system but some people need reminding no doubt.
The real issue is that if the system board fails it also takes out the SSD so if you upgraded it to the max that's almost an extra £3K lost on top of the rest of the system.
Or do they have a way to recover the SSD and install it in a replacement system board?
Definitely a system where the extended warranty make sense. :thumbup:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Well I've been doing a lot of thinking the last few days about this machine because the writing is on the wall for my old quad core Mac mini after a good few years of faithful service. (I took it in today to have the logic board replaced for the second time in a week. Fortunately last week's replacement had a 3 month warranty on it so I didn't have to pay 300 quid a second time).

I'd probably have been happy with a modern quad core mini if there were such a thing but of course there isn't, so it's down to an iMac or a Macbook Pro. Basic spec is a quad core or better processor, 32Gig of RAM since it's not user-upgradeable any more and a 1TB SSD (ditto). For that you're looking at the same kind of price, about £3.5k, so lots of thinking. Eventually I eliminated the Macbook Pro because the slimness of the thing makes me nervous about the way the high-spec components must be shoehorned in. I'd have been far happier if the thing were 1/2" thcker and with a couple of USB 3 ports (not to mention magsafe).

And then I had a Tesla moment.

I should explain. I have a friend in his early 70s whose background is engineering and he still keeps his hand in as the foremost maker of rapper swords (look it up) in the world right now. He'd always been fascinated by electric cars and the engineering involved in making them good to drive. After a lot of thought Frank decided to buy a Tesla Model S. Even second hand you're talking north of £60k which represented a fair chunk of his life savings. But then he thought he'd never have another chance to own a car like that and even though its capabilities are way beyond his requirements (0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds?) the joy he takes in it is positively infectious.

Now I'm not turned on by cars but I do take a lot of pleasure in computer hardware going right back to my Sinclair ZX81 and so I thought: bugger it, I'm going to buy an iMac Pro and have more computing power at my fingertips than I could possibly use unless I changed my name to Pixar. And so I did.

It arrives tomorrow.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:04 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote: I'm going to buy an iMac Pro........It arrives tomorrow.
You must be like a kid on Christmas Eve!
All the best with your new toy- enjoy!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Kwackman wrote:You must be like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Just a bit.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Off to bed by midnight CC or Santa won't come down the chimney.
I imagine that will be an amazing machine.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby rACed2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:30 am

I’ve loved my iMacPro I got basic model with 64 Gb memory.
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:01 am

Going back on-topic for a moment while I wait impatiently for the delivery van it seems that Apple have acknowledged the throttling problem, stated it's a bug and issued a patch for it. Which rather begs the question: what on earth is going on in their QA processes? How did a bug like this get through testing?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:13 am

In fairness CC, the guy testing it could happily use Twitter, Facebook and Instagram .... so there was no reason to think that it wouldn't work fine for anything else .... :headbang: :bouncy:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:13 am

:bouncy: :thumbup:
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby TheLegit » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 pm

I saw something very interesting on YouTube, essentially the reason for the slim line 2018 chassis is that Apple have been waiting for Intel to come up with the same type of processor that goes into mobile phones but instead for laptops.

This chassis was meant for that processor however as Intel dropped the ball they were forced to cram an i9 in.

The net result is this overheating issue but in the near to longer term means Apple have decided to offer their own chips and move away from Intel
TheLegit
Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 pm

TheLegit wrote:I saw something very interesting on YouTube, essentially the reason for the slim line 2018 chassis is that Apple have been waiting for Intel to come up with the same type of processor that goes into mobile phones but instead for laptops.
This chassis was meant for that processor however as Intel dropped the ball they were forced to cram an i9 in.
The net result is this overheating issue but in the near to longer term means Apple have decided to offer their own chips and move away from Intel
Apple have been using form over function chassis for years now so I call BS on that YT story for so many reasons.
That doesn’t mean Apple won’t eventually shift from x86 to ARM for macOS devices but Intel being (very) late with one fabrication shrink is not enough for them to make the leap unless they were already on the ledge.
That YT video sounds like typical sensationalist click bait journalism aimed to drive traffic to the site and create revenue.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:07 am

Agharta wrote:
TheLegit wrote:I saw something very interesting on YouTube, essentially the reason for the slim line 2018 chassis is that Apple have been waiting for Intel to come up with the same type of processor that goes into mobile phones but instead for laptops.
Apple have been using form over function chassis for years now so I call BS on that YT story for so many reasons.
That doesn’t mean Apple won’t eventually shift from x86 to ARM for macOS devices but Intel being (very) late with one fabrication shrink is not enough for them to make the leap unless they were already on the ledge.
That YT video sounds like typical sensationalist click bait journalism aimed to drive traffic to the site and create revenue.
Quite, the body on the Touch Bar range has been identical since 2016. Apple can't exactly chuck away intel compatibility to shave a few mm off their Pro range. ARM chips are nowhere near powerful enough to run intel software under emulation.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Going back on-topic for a moment while I wait impatiently for the delivery van it seems that Apple have acknowledged the throttling problem, stated it's a bug and issued a patch for it. Which rather begs the question: what on earth is going on in their QA processes? How did a bug like this get through testing?
Any news on how this performs with DAWs?

Shame that most of the daw testers have abandoned testing on macs. Guess they have their custom PCs to sell!
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous