You are here

Free / donationware de-esser for Mac unit

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Free / donationware de-esser for Mac unit

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm a pc / reaper user myself but a friend has been doing a one-off project where he could do with a de-esser to clean things up a touch. He's using the free version of cubase on a mac and, this being a one off, doesn't want to splash any silly money on plug-ins. A nominal fee or donation-ware would be fine.
Anyway, not being a mac user, I was just after a recommendation if anyone has one?
Thanks
Drew
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Free / donationware de-esser for Mac unit

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:21 pm

One solution would be to get him to download Reaper for the Mac and then either use ReaXComp or ReaComp with the sidechain filtering set to the right range.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:19 am

Tokyo Dawn Nova, a dynamic EQ, would be capable of that. There's a free version as well as a paid 'GE' version with more features.

(Presumably this 'lite' version of Cubase includes neither the stock deesser nor the stock multiband compresser? Worth checking...)
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks James, I'm trying not to overwhelm him with too much in the way of technicalities at the moment, XComp doesn't have a side-chain function built in and Comp might be tricky to set up for someone new to this (one of the disadvantages of the reaper plug-ins is that the displays are not always the easiest to understand).

Thanks as well Matt, I'll have a shufti at the TD Nova stuff, but see the above comment about over-whelming some already stretched cranial capacity. :)
Sadly the version of cubase he's on doesn't have either the de-esser or the multiband compressor.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ITHertz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:07 am

There's an SOS article somewhere all about de-essing. One method I recall is to use phase cancellation (copy the track, invert the second track's phase) to de-ess. A little bit more time-consuming but works fine.

Cheers!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm

ITHertz wrote:There's an SOS article somewhere all about de-essing. One method I recall is to use phase cancellation (copy the track, invert the second track's phase) to de-ess. A little bit more time-consuming but works fine.

Cheers!
Yep, that's generally the method I use at home. I've got reasonably quick at working through a waveform and identifying the culprits but I'm hoping to steer my friend towards a slightly simpler approach given his needs.
He may just have to bite the bullet and learn a bit about audio processing though. I'm sure it won't do him any real harm, in the long run... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster