You are here

Thoughts on a New iMac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Thoughts on a New iMac

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:23 pm

TheLegit wrote:You can get the lowest amount of RAM Apple offers and save yourself some cash sticking your own in as Apple seem seriously extortionate RAM wise.

Any reason for that by the way ?

Yes, it's known as the Apple Tax.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Agharta » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 pm

TheLegit wrote:someone on Youtube specced a PC with the same components (Xeon, 5k screen, etc) and the price was actually comparable to the iMac Pro.
Can I suggest not viewing YT videos if looking for decent Tech journalism as any man and his dog Spot can create a channel there.
If I was speccing a very high end PC I’d go with a 16 Core AMD Threadripper which is currently ~£650 on Amazon.
You could build a nice desktop system around that with 128GB DDR4 3000, 2TB fast PCIe storage for about £2,800.
You’d need to add a keyboard/mouse and also a GPU and monitor to that but you get to choose your own.
For purely DAW usage a 27” 5K seems a complete waste of money.
Plus you get to choose a GPU which suits your workloads which for many DAW users means a ~£75 one at most and that will give you at least 3 video outputs.
So for not much more than 60% of the price of the entry level iMac Pro you’d have a spec that matches one costing around £9k, almost three times as much, plus the screen would be more useful for DAW usage, at least for me.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby TheLegit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:22 am

Agharta wrote:
TheLegit wrote:someone on Youtube specced a PC with the same components (Xeon, 5k screen, etc) and the price was actually comparable to the iMac Pro.
Can I suggest not viewing YT videos if looking for decent Tech journalism as any man and his dog Spot can create a channel there.
If I was speccing a very high end PC I’d go with a 16 Core AMD Threadripper which is currently ~£650 on Amazon.
You could build a nice desktop system around that with 128GB DDR4 3000, 2TB fast PCIe storage for about £2,800.
You’d need to add a keyboard/mouse and also a GPU and monitor to that but you get to choose your own.
For purely DAW usage a 27” 5K seems a complete waste of money.
Plus you get to choose a GPU which suits your workloads which for many DAW users means a ~£75 one at most and that will give you at least 3 video outputs.
So for not much more than 60% of the price of the entry level iMac Pro you’d have a spec that matches one costing around £9k, almost three times as much, plus the screen would be more useful for DAW usage, at least for me.

I think the with the 5k screen it got damn close to the iMac, remember CGI / design work needs a great screen and colours but I'd agree it's overkill for DAWs.

I like tech channels, one of them highlighted the overheat issue of the Macbook which you linked her but you look down on them?

Ultimately you have to sort the wheat from the chaff
TheLegit
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 pm

TheLegit wrote:but I'd agree it's overkill for DAWs.

The machine's epic overkill for just about everything I do but, like my friend with the Tesla, I just think it's a wonderful piece of kit that's a great pleasure to own. Such feelings are not entirely subject to rational thought.

CC

Typed on a M$ Surface in a B&B in Sidmouth and already missing it.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ITHertz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks for all the input.

This article was in my local newspaper recently and after reading it, I think I'll hold off to see what's around the corner.

https://www.theage.com.au/technology/ap ... 4zypi.html

Cheers!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby Wease » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 pm

I brought a 21" iMac for £1400 (that model...the "normal" one) around 3 months ago
I know....everyone said I should wait.....

But
Works like a dream
I run 4 push units with live, rewired (with reason as well) into Logic Pro, with some very old focusrite units (must upgrade...it's the 10/10 blue thingy!!!!!!)

Absolutely no issues at all....handles like a dream....whilst simultaneously using photo booth as a live projector for the students I work with

I too think the pro iMac is overkill and excruciatingly expensive.....but you know, apple don't half make some decent computers......and for bang for buck....that 1400 iMac ain't half good value.....

wease
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:44 pm

ITHertz wrote:TThis article was in my local newspaper recently and after reading it, I think I'll hold off to see what's around the corner.

according to people familiar with the plans.

Enough said, I think. ;)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Janneman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:50 am

I’ve worked with windows ps’s for years. Always the best. In all those years I had troubles with drivers, etc. one day I had enough of all those shit and bought a iMac. Was the best discession ever.

Always free updates for the Apple software.
Janneman
Poster
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Previous