You are here

How should you "monitor" a phone call?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: How should you "monitor" a phone call?

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 pm

@ManFromGlass,

I basically think all large companies are thieves, and that is my main objective with this particular use-case...

I need to set up my Mac so that anytime I make/receive a VoIP call on my laptop, that I can instantly record the phone call if need be.

No time for mixing boards and XLR mics and such. Just an quick, down-and-dirty way to use a USB headset and my Mac to record what actually happened.

And I have an audio track with beeping on it, so if I fire that up as well, I should be covered.

Nothing gets quicker results than the threat of bad PR to a company and/or catching them lying to you... ;-)

My larger use-case is the need to put together a professional podcast, but more on that to come after I get this immediate need fixed!
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 am

I'm a pretty laid back guy and if I recorded every call where I thought I was going to be mislead, lied to or generally taken advantage of then I would probably record every call. But being an old dude I now pick my battles carefully as life is too short to mess with idiots who will always have a way out.
For example - threats of bad PR - don't work unless you have really gruesome footage or major stupidity recorded that is like a comedy show. even then - so what?
catching them lying? - they have many excuses to cover that. The easiest one is that somebody made a mistake.

If I was to give you any advice I would say with the really serious stuff, stuff that will cost you a lot of money, or put somebodies health or life at risk then sure, make the recording hoping you will never need it. Otherwise just let the rest of it go. Assume everybody in big companies are idiots until you are surprised to find some are seriously awesome when treated as you would want somebody to treat you. You deserve to have a happy life making music rather than stewing under a dark cloud wondering who is going to f*** you over next. But I would only say that if I was to offer you advice, which I'm not. You have your own path.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:02 am

side bar -
Interesting - I typed the word f*** and it was automatically censored. Holy f***! I never knew that happened in the Forums. I thought the word f*** was of british origin and meant something like Fornicating Under the Consent of the King or somesuch.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby audio_jungle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:22 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I'm a pretty laid back guy and if I recorded every call where I thought I was going to be mislead, lied to or generally taken advantage of then I would probably record every call. But being an old dude I now pick my battles carefully as life is too short to mess with idiots who will always have a way out.
For example - threats of bad PR - don't work unless you have really gruesome footage or major stupidity recorded that is like a comedy show. even then - so what?
catching them lying? - they have many excuses to cover that. The easiest one is that somebody made a mistake.

If I was to give you any advice I would say with the really serious stuff, stuff that will cost you a lot of money, or put somebodies health or life at risk then sure, make the recording hoping you will never need it. Otherwise just let the rest of it go. Assume everybody in big companies are idiots until you are surprised to find some are seriously awesome when treated as you would want somebody to treat you. You deserve to have a happy life making music rather than stewing under a dark cloud wondering who is going to f*** you over next. But I would only say that if I was to offer you advice, which I'm not. You have your own path.

Good advice that I already know, and try to follow, but it's hard when you feel the world is out to screw you.

In one case, I reported abuse to a gov't agency and they never responded, so I feel that might be a more noble cause than say recording customer service at some large slimey company.

Being in IT, I have always been of the mindset that if I capture something and don't need it, no loss. But if I do need it, it's a little late when you didn't capture it.

I have found in modern times that I missed some "once in a life time" phone calls because I din't have the technology in place.

Moving forward I will be prepared!
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby Dave B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 am

Thinking outside the box a little, is there VOIP software that already has a recorder built in?

I'm thinking that you're going to have to permanently have the audio system routed and a recorder sitting ready to record if you want to achieve your aim. This is a lot of overhead and could bite you slightly if you get an unexpected call. It strikes me that there must be a need for call software with an inbuilt recorder - if only for things like podcasting ...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby audio_jungle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:52 am

Dave B wrote:Thinking outside the box a little, is there VOIP software that already has a recorder built in?

I'm thinking that you're going to have to permanently have the audio system routed and a recorder sitting ready to record if you want to achieve your aim. This is a lot of overhead and could bite you slightly if you get an unexpected call. It strikes me that there must be a need for call software with an inbuilt recorder - if only for things like podcasting ...

:)

Yes there is. Ironically, I believe that the "business/premium" version of Zoiper allows you to record calls.

And you make a valid point about me complicating how I use my computer - it's what I do best!! =)

I can't completely answer your question just yet, because I am researching my options, but I will post my final solution soon enough.

For now, let me say that I am indeed trying to come up with a solution(s) so I don't have to do a lot, if any, fiddling when I want to record a phone call. (Yet another reason I grumbled when in the start of this thread people were talking about microphones and digital recorders and such... To an IT guy, those solutions seemed ludicrous.)

A good solution should ideally require no fiddling on my end when a call comes in, and it should be purely virtual (i.e. entirely software related), and I think I am getting closer to getting that set up.

Now I may have to "flip a couple buttons" on my Mac to switch to podcasting mode, but for the phone call thing, it should be a "set it and forget it" kind of thing.

And thank you for the reminder in that I should also consider using Zoiper pay-for solution.

Lastly, I think I had an "a-ha" moment last night about setting up Loopback on my computer. Sadly, it is Monday morning and time to switch back to solving work problems for now. But in my free time, I hope to have all of this sorted out this week, maybe.

More to follow, and thanks for the suggestions!
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby Brian M Rose » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:28 pm

I have to admit, in the case of cold callers, if I'm in the edit suite, I play a Radio Harrow jingle and tell them that they are on-air. That soon stops them. Remember that if you are talking about land lines, you need a proper TBU to ensure safety etc.
The latter allows you to connect a phone line to a standard line-level mixer, and gets rid of feedback etc. Ours seem to work flawlessly, for some reason the BBC's Today Programme seems to have constant problems. ...
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Brian M Rose wrote:Ours seem to work flawlessly, for some reason the BBC's Today Programme seems to have constant problems. ...

To be fair, it's rarely a problem with the actual TCBU which is very mature technology, and almost always terrible mobile phones and appalling mobile phone reception.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous