You are here

Any advice for when buying a new monitor for my Mac.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Any advice for when buying a new monitor for my Mac.

Postby Mud on the road » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 am

Hi All,
looking at buying a new monitor for my Mac. The Mac is a Mac Pro (Early 2009) and the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120,with mini Display and dual link DVI connectors. Looking at either a 27 or 29 inch screen. Not too big on built-in speaker on monitors,so looking for one without them. Have seen some without speakers but they only have HDMI inputs so I would have to use a convertor to be able to use such a monitor with my graphics card. Or just buy a monitor with built-in speakers that offer more options regarding input types. Using Logic Pro X and ProTools as DAW's. Any general advice and points before buying.

Peter
Mud on the road
Poster

Re: Any advice for when buying a new monitor for my Mac.

Postby Guido3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 am

I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2414H. It doesn’t have speakers and has a multitude of different inputs. HDMI, DP, MiniDP to name just a few. Has a useful USB hub too.

The bezel around the edge is very thin, so you can easily put 2 side by side with virtually any border showing.

This is only a 24” model but I’m sure they would do a bigger panel version if needs be.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Any advice for when buying a new monitor for my Mac.

Postby Mud on the road » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks for the advice Guido 3.

Still having problems finding a 29inch monitor that could work with my Mac Pro4.1 using its original GeForce GT 120 graphics card. Seems the card will only output the required digital resolution 2560 X 1080 via its dual link DVI-I connector to drive a 29inch ultra wide monitor. Anybody using such a setup before I buy. Its either that or a 27inch monitor using 1920 x 1080 which I know will work.

Peter
Mud on the road
Poster