You are here

iMac Upgrade. SSD

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

iMac Upgrade. SSD

Postby DAGGILARR » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:44 am

I am finally about to upgrade my 2010 27" i7 iMac. I am having a 1tb SSD put in the SuperDrive bay and a 1tb HDD in the original bay. I will get it back virgin, ready for a clean install. I have Sierra ( I could change that if needs be) on a USB. I also have a full, time-machine backup.

Will Migration assistant be of any use, can I direct it to put applications on the SSD and data on the HDD, or will it try to put everything on one drive?

Any tips on the best way to go about 'rebuilding' my system would be greatly appreciated.

I use this machine for everything.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster
iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Re: iMac Upgrade. SSD

Postby Guido3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:51 pm

I would put the SSD as the main drive and the HDD in the Superdrive bay.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby DAGGILARR » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Guido3 wrote:I would put the SSD as the main drive and the HDD in the Superdrive bay.

Why?
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 am

DAGGILARR wrote:
Guido3 wrote:I would put the SSD as the main drive and the HDD in the Superdrive bay.

Why?

Because it is the main system drive. You can change which drive your system boots from but I think I am right in saying that the drive attached to the main board would run quicker than the one which replaces the SuperDrive.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby Agharta » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:28 am

Guido3 wrote:
DAGGILARR wrote:

Why?

Because it is the main system drive. You can change which drive your system boots from but I think I am right in saying that the drive attached to the main board would run quicker than the one which replaces the SuperDrive.
It's highly likely that they both use SATA connectors, both connect to the mainboard and both are using the same SATA controller that is built into the mainboard's chipset meaning they both offer the same performance.
That is typically how Intel's hardware works.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DAGGILARR » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:39 am

I would be good to know for sure if there is a benefit of one bay over the other. As it stands SSDs fit in the readily available enclosures that replaces the optical drives and a traditional 3.5 HDD goes in the other one.

To do it the other way round would mean using a 2.5 HDD, not a problem, I suppose.

At the moment I am struggling to understand the best way to ‘rebuild’ after the drives are fitted. As far as I can tell, I will have to do it bit by bit as migration assistant will not be able to differentiate between two drives.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 am

DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 pm

DAGGILARR wrote:url=https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7917073]https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7917073[/url]This is interesting.
"There are three Sata connectors on the 2011 27" iMac.
Two are Sata 6 Gb/sec, the optical drive is 3 Gb/sec."

Yeah, I'd forgotten that OEMs can cheap out and only use some of the SATA3 ports although due to its age it may only have 2 SATA3 ports!
So what is the other SATA3 port connected to as I figured it only supports 2 drives including the DVD drive?
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:39 pm

It appears that the Intel chipset used in that system only supports SATA2 3Gb/Sec and 6 of them at that so the plot thickens.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BigRedX » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:16 am

DAGGILARR wrote:At the moment I am struggling to understand the best way to ‘rebuild’ after the drives are fitted. As far as I can tell, I will have to do it bit by bit as migration assistant will not be able to differentiate between two drives.

Whenever I do a major hardware or OS upgrade I always settle for a brand new clean install of everything. It might take slightly longer to get everything up and running, but it cleans out all the old software I'm not using anymore and allows me to specify any custom software paths at the install process rather than having to try and get them to "rebond" to allow for changes in hardware or working practices and I find is a lot less hassle in the long run.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan