You are here

Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Mac mini rumour...

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:05 pm

redlester wrote:Ah. I was under the impression they only launched things at bi-annual big announcements. I see now looking back historically they have also had October announcements.

Yes, but they do also launch things without big splashy announcements too - it really depends on the products at the time and the messaging they want to get out there. A new faster iMac that's otherwise the same as previous models isn't worth shouting about, and likewise, the general public and press probably aren't that bothered about a Mac Pro, so it's less likely they'll have an event for things like that (unless, as I say, they've got a good range of Macs with new stuff that's worth making a combined event for).

Often the pro stuff they take to more pro focused events, so they often tie in Logic or Final Cut updates with events in those industries.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:49 pm

A mini pro at the Mojave release on the 27th...?
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby redlester » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:19 pm

desmond wrote:
redlester wrote:Ah. I was under the impression they only launched things at bi-annual big announcements. I see now looking back historically they have also had October announcements.

Yes, but they do also launch things without big splashy announcements too - it really depends on the products at the time and the messaging they want to get out there. A new faster iMac that's otherwise the same as previous models isn't worth shouting about, and likewise, the general public and press probably aren't that bothered about a Mac Pro, so it's less likely they'll have an event for things like that (unless, as I say, they've got a good range of Macs with new stuff that's worth making a combined event for).

Often the pro stuff they take to more pro focused events, so they often tie in Logic or Final Cut updates with events in those industries.

Cheers, interesting. As you can tell am still very new to following/second guessing any Apple news/events. Am sure some would say us late adopters have actually missed the golden era? ;)
redlester
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm

desmond wrote:...and likewise, the general public and press probably aren't that bothered about a Mac Pro, so it's less likely they'll have an event for things like that...

The fact they've now got the Steve Jobs Theater on campus makes it easier for Apple to hold fast turnaround 'events' rather than booking the San Fran Moscone Center. But I wouldn't hold your breath for a new Mac Pro in 2018. Phil Schiller's got to get over the excitement those iPhones aroused in him first. ;-)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby redlester » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Forum Admin wrote:But I wouldn't hold your breath for a new Mac Pro in 2018. Phil Schiller's got to get over the excitement those iPhones aroused in him first. ;-)

There were quotes earlier this year that the Mac Pro wouldn't be until 2019.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/apple ... d-for-2019

But there were strong rumours about a new Mac Mini leading up to this week, that's why I raised the issue.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Here we go... October 30th.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/
redlester
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 am

Jup! That must be the one!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:19 am

According to a rumour I heard from a usually reliable source they're going to announce that they've downloaded Steve Jobs' soul into an array of networked iMac Pros and he is going to resume leadership of the company. So they say.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:45 am

I heard about that as well CC. Come back Steve! Save the world!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:36 pm

There you go.
i5 or i7, 4 core or 6 core, up to 64GB RAM , up to 2TB SSD.
4xTB3, 2xUSB, HDMI.
No idea if it's still user upgradeable?
Entry model is $799. Don't know what the prices are for the higher specs (I could hazard a guess!).
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Well I have to say I'm impressed despite myself. 4 or 6 core, up to 64GB SODIMM RAM, 4 TB3 and 2 USB 3 ports. That's a pretty beefy machine. I might well have gone for one of those instead of the iMac Pro if it had been available when I needed it. Nice one, Apple (but also, about time too).

CC

Edit: Ah, so you were watching too :)

On the user upgradeability front I would guess the RAM is upgradeable as otherwise why make a fuss about it being SODIMM? For the SSD I'd guess probably not, or maybe like the iMac pro, upgradeable if you don't mind major disassembly and have all the special tools.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Edit: Ah, so you were watching too :)

Ha ha sort of. Listening through one earphone while am supposed to be working...

We missed the most important bit. It's space grey! :smirk:

You can tell where their marketing priorities lie, given they rattled through the section on the Mac Mini while they've spent ages on the new Macbook Air and iPad Pro.
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Space grey looks OK on the iMac pro but I wouldn't want to wear it myself.

With a bit of luck it'll come with the black magic keyboard with numeric pad. The magic mouse my be ghastly and the trackpad 2 so-so but the keyboard is very, very good.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:30 pm

redlester wrote:There you go.
i5 or i7, 4 core or 6 core, up to 64GB RAM , up to 2TB SSD.
4xTB3, 2xUSB, HDMI.
No idea if it's still user upgradeable?
Entry model is $799. Don't know what the prices are for the higher specs (I could hazard a guess!).

That's quite a nice surprise actually, was hoping for something along these lines...
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:42 pm

They are availalbe to order on the web site now.

A quick look suggests it comes to just over £3,700 for top of the range spec.

A more modest but respectable quad core i7 with 32GB RAM and a 512GB system drive is under £2k.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:47 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:With a bit of luck it'll come with the black magic keyboard with numeric pad. The magic mouse my be ghastly and the trackpad 2 so-so but the keyboard is very, very good

From the Apple Store:
"In the box:
Mac Mini
Power lead"
:roll:
redlester
Regular

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:04 pm

You can save a few hundred quid by getting your own RAM. And I don't need a big ssd either. So mine comes more like 1300 quid plus another 250 for the memory. Which isn't _too_ bad - not great though. But I would get a fast, 6 core machine with oodles of ram. Just a shame that none of my devices would work with it ... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Am not sure yet that it is user upgradeable. Have seen nothing to say that it is, unless I missed it.

By the way, totally off topic, but is the SOS site displaying post times still in BST rather than GMT, or is it just me?
redlester
Regular

Postby Kwackman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:27 pm

redlester wrote:By the way, totally off topic, but is the SOS site displaying post times still in BST rather than GMT, or is it just me?
Log out & back in again, that should sort it.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Kwackman wrote:Log out & back in again, that should sort it.

Nice one, cheers.
redlester
Regular

PreviousNext