You are here

Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Mac mini rumour...

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:30 am

Forum Admin wrote:
redlester wrote:Should we start a campaign on the UK.gov website to try to get over 100,000 people to vote for Apple to give a free 64Gb i7 Mac Mini with every iPhone purchase, so that Parliament (those folks in the chambers, not the funkadelic crew) will have to debate it? :bouncy:

Actually the Funkadelic crew debating it would be much more fun! :thumbup:

The user manual is still not available on the Apple site - is that because it's not actually available until next week? Not sure how quickly they make these things available. The new MacBook Air manual is not on there either.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 am

redlester wrote:The user manual is still not available on the Apple site - is that because it's not actually available until next week? Not sure how quickly they make these things available. The new MacBook Air manual is not on there either.

Apple tend not to release any manuals until the hardware is actually shipping. Possibly hails from the days long ago when they announced products that took longer to come to market -- which is why Stevie introduced his "everybody keep shtum" directive when he re-took the helm.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 3046
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,660+ top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:54 am

Forum Admin wrote:Apple tend not to release any manuals until the hardware is actually shipping. Possibly hails from the days long ago when they announced products that took longer to come to market -- which is why Stevie introduced his "everybody keep shtum" directive when he re-took the helm.

Thanks, that explains it.

Next thing will be when the manual becomes available and makes no mention of changing RAM!
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 am

redlester wrote:Next thing will be when the manual becomes available and makes no mention of changing RAM!

To be honest, I haven't read or even seen an Apple computer manual for ages, so can't tell you what sort of 'quality' of info they dispense these days. Such things were included in ye olde days.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 3046
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,660+ top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 am

Forum Admin wrote:To be honest, I haven't read or even seen an Apple computer manual for ages, so can't tell you what sort of 'quality' of info they dispense these days. Such things were included in ye olde days.

Actually you're right, I just looked at the 2012 model manual and it's nothing other than a Quick Start Guide. Expect nothing better this time!

That page I previously linked detailing memory upgrade options is probably the one to go to for "official" information.

Interestingly OWC in America has this page for upgrades:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/ ... -mini/2018

Had a quick look and can't yet see any UK equivalents. The Crucial site has the 2018 model listed in it's selection drop-downs for memory upgrades, but it links to this:
http://uk.crucial.com/ScanListView?mode ... Id=3123508
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 am

Happy to see a new model, but 128GB SSD as standard is not amazing and the upgrades are pricey.

128GB should be enough for the OS and a few applications though, no? And everything else can sit on an external drive? I've recently got the mid-range iMac (for non-music purposes) and am using a 4GB USB-C drive with it, which is significantly better value than the internal upgrades. I don't know how much grunt one would actually need in terms of running off an external HD these days.
User avatar
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:11 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Happy to see a new model, but 128GB SSD as standard is not amazing and the upgrades are pricey.

128GB should be enough for the OS and a few applications though, no? And everything else can sit on an external drive? I've recently got the mid-range iMac (for non-music purposes) and am using a 4GB USB-C drive with it, which is significantly better value than the internal upgrades. I don't know how much grunt one would actually need in terms of running off an external HD these days.

I'm using a 256GB OS drive currently, and although it's not full I would feel more at ease with 512GB. And that's with all my sample libraries etc. on other drives and even with my User folders re-located to another drive.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:20 pm

redlester wrote:'m using a 256GB OS drive currently, and although it's not full I would feel more at ease with 512GB. And that's with all my sample libraries etc. on other drives and even with my User folders re-located to another drive.

Hmm, having just checked my iMac I fear my initial hopefulness may be an error :( 128GB doesn't go far does it.
User avatar
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm debating to take the 1TB SDD... I know it's pricy but with that and the i7 chip I think I will thank myself in a few years down the line. It will hurt a bit now tho...

Well at least 512gb...

Hmm
User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Switzerland/Germany/Sweden

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Just beware it will come with Mojave OS which many music applications, plug-ins, etc. are not yet fully compatible with. See the other thread in this forum.

I know it's possible to replace this with say Sierra or High Sierra, but there will be a consequent amount of faffing involved before being able to actually use it.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Mac mini rumour...

Postby Agharta » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:12 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Humble Bee wrote:Add external SDD (here I don't have a clue what to get but a 2x1TB SDD enclosure on TB3 ? Any recommendations appreciated)

I recently got this Inateck drive enclosure and fitted it with two Samsung 1TB SSDs. You can use them in a RAID configuration but I've just got them as two separate drives. It's USB 3.1 Gen 2 so will use one of your TB3 ports. It's pretty fast and I like it; a true TB3 unit using Nvme rather than SATA would be quite a bit faster but also a lot more expensive - you wouldn't believe how eye-wateringly much.
CC
This is a halfway house in terms of price and performance:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13510/my ... dge-review

Don't know if it supports Apple gear.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3417
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:27 pm

redlester wrote:Interestingly OWC in America has this page for upgrades:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/ ... -mini/2018

Well that confirms it - it has to be user upgradeable, at least RAM-wise, as OWC is a big player and they wouldn't be advertising 64Gb RAM if they weren't referring to the new Mac Mini (cos none of the older models permit such capacity).
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 3046
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,660+ top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
redlester wrote:Interestingly OWC in America has this page for upgrades:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/ ... -mini/2018

Well that confirms it - it has to be user upgradeable, at least RAM-wise, as OWC is a big player and they wouldn't be advertising 64Gb RAM if they weren't referring to the new Mac Mini (cos none of the older models permit such capacity).

Perhaps you have to take your computer and RAM along to an Apple Store and get them to install it in order to keep the warranty? I wish they would just clarify it!
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:58 pm

redlester wrote:Just beware it will come with Mojave OS which many music applications, plug-ins, etc. are not yet fully compatible with. See the other thread in this forum.

I know it's possible to replace this with say Sierra or High Sierra, but there will be a consequent amount of faffing involved before being able to actually use it.


Just to be clear, it is very unliklely that any new Apple product can have its OS downgraded there won't be hardware drivers included for new models in Sierra or High Sierra
User avatar
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1102
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm

The link I posted earlier in this thread to the Crucial web site is now listing compatible RAM for the 2018 model. £266 for 32GB.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:07 pm

That's the deal!
:clap:
User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Switzerland/Germany/Sweden

Re: Mac mini rumour...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Agharta wrote:This is a halfway house in terms of price and performance:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13510/my ... dge-review

Don't know if it supports Apple gear.

What really winds the price up is using TB3 protocol rather than Gen 2. I should have thought Apple kit would be fine as the OS has supported NVMe for a while now.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7234
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Can one boot from an external TB3 drive?

That would make the internal SDD less critical with time...
User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Switzerland/Germany/Sweden

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 pm

You can boot from an external USB drive. I've not tried with a TB drive but I've no reason to doubt you can.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7234
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby redlester » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Well there we have it, finally confirmed that these are not "officially" user upgradeable.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205041

To upgrade the memory in your Mac mini (2018), go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

However....
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/08/20 ... e-process/
redlester
Regular
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users