You are here

Loopback + Zoiper

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Loopback + Zoiper

Postby audio_jungle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Okay, thanks much to Desmond, I feel fairly comfortable with using Loopback to record Firefox and my USB headset into Audacity.

My next task is to make sure I thoroughly understand how Loopback and Zoiper go together, with the end goal being able to properly record phone calls using Zoiper and a USB headset.

I guess my first series of questions deal with better understand what the settings in Zoiper mean!

Here is a screenshot of the default Zoiper > Preferences > Audio > Device settings...

Image


Questions:
1.) Does "Input Device" only represent how Zoiper is receiving input to add to the VOIP phone call?

If so, then using my USB headset probably makes sense, right?


2.) Does "Output Device" only represent how Zoiper is outputting the VOIP phone call to me?

If so, then again using my USB headset probably makes sense, right?


3.) Before Desmond started helping me out, I was extremely confused about my in's and out's, and I thought that whatever was listed in Zoiper's "Output Device" was how Zoiper would send the phone call to Loopback.

However, trying to apply what Desmond has taught me so far, it seems that how Loopback *hijacks* the VOIP phone call in Zoiper is by me adding Zoiper to Loopback as an "Audio Source"...

Does that sound correct?


4.) Capturing audio from something like Firefox and/or Firefox plus my USB headset seems more straight-forward, because Loopback only has to *hijack* a single signal.

However, with Zoiper, things seem more complicated because I ultimately need to capture my voice plus the caller on the other end of the phone (i.e. Internet)?!

4a.) Am I capturing my voice and the caller's voice by simply capturing Zoiper and nothing more?

4b.) Am I capturing my voice by capturing my USB headset, and then the caller's voice by capturing Zoiper?


5.) I thought I read somewhere about "half-duplex"? What is that and how does it relate to this?


6.) In the end, how do I set things up so I can properly capture a VOIP call from Zoiper to Audacity and have everything sound right?


While waiting for a response, I am going to experiment, but as I learned before, just because things work doesn't mean that I set thing up the correct way or that I understand what I am doing!!!

Hope you have time to respond Desmond...

Thanks,


Audio Jungle
audio_jungle
Regular
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Re: Loopback + Zoiper

Postby desmond » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:59 pm

audio_jungle wrote:I guess my first series of questions deal with better understand what the settings in Zoiper mean!

This is fairly obscure software I don't use, so some of this stuff you're going to need to figure out from it's manual, and by testing. Most people doing podcasts use Skype, which is fairly ubiquitous (it's used not because it's good, but because it's ubiquitous.)

audio_jungle wrote:1.) Does "Input Device" only represent how Zoiper is receiving input to add to the VOIP phone call?

I'd guess it's the audio input to the software, ie your microphone, that you use for talking to your caller.

audio_jungle wrote:If so, then using my USB headset probably makes sense, right?

Yes, the input device from the USB headset is your talky mic thing.

audio_jungle wrote:2.) Does "Output Device" only represent how Zoiper is outputting the VOIP phone call to me?
If so, then again using my USB headset probably makes sense, right?

You'll need to check from it's manual what "Output Device" and "Output Speaker Device" are, and how they are intended to be used. I can't infer the software's behaviour from a settings box unfortunately. I'd guess that one of them contains a mix of your mic and the caller's audio, and one of them is just the caller on their own, but you'll need to check.

audio_jungle wrote:However, trying to apply what Desmond has taught me so far, it seems that how Loopback *hijacks* the VOIP phone call in Zoiper is by me adding Zoiper to Loopback as an "Audio Source"...

It hijacks the audio output of the application. You'll need to be careful about your mic audio, because really, you want to record it separately, and not have Zioper mix your mic with the callers audio and output that, you just want it to output the caller, not you.

audio_jungle wrote:4.) Capturing audio from something like Firefox and/or Firefox plus my USB headset seems more straight-forward, because Loopback only has to *hijack* a single signal.

However, with Zoiper, things seem more complicated because I ultimately need to capture my voice plus the caller on the other end of the phone (i.e. Internet)?!

Remember, you are already capturing your mic to a recording via Loopback. You want to also capture the output of Zoiper to another recording, and you don't want your mic to be part of Zoipers output. My guess would be that one of the two outputs of Zoiper will let you do that, but you'll have to run some tests and see.

audio_jungle wrote:4a.) Am I capturing my voice and the caller's voice by simply capturing Zoiper and nothing more?
4b.) Am I capturing my voice by capturing my USB headset, and then the caller's voice by capturing Zoiper?

You want to capture the output of Zoiper and you want Zoiper to only output the caller's audio, *not* your mic, as you are already capturing that independently using Loopback.

You'll need to test out Zoiper's various config and output options to get things working as you want, and once you know what features Zoiper offers, you'll be able to bet decide on the config that works for your needs.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8048
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users