You are here

Microphone went dead after supper...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Microphone went dead after supper...

Postby Ariosto » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Here is a link to a comparison of how a voiceover/narration should sound. Check this against your recordings. How does it differ?

This was recorded with the pre-amp on about 40% of it's potential gain and the recorder (or interface) set at zero gain.

Listen particularly to the background (room sound) on my recording. Does yours sound (more or less) like this? (OK this was recorded with a high quality mic and pre-amp but yours should not be too different to this).

Here is the link ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph21bemf6ohvw ... r.mp3?dl=0

(I will only leave it as a live link for a day or two ...)
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby audio_jungle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:03 am

Ariosto wrote:Here is a link to a comparison of how a voiceover/narration should sound. Check this against your recordings. How does it differ?

I am starting to think I have a much larger issue which is my hearing loss...

I cannot discern any background noice on your recording, of course you don't stop talking ong enough for anything to jump out at me.

Am going to try and get a server set up this weekend so I can post some samples on it and let you all diagnose what I have so far.

BTW, I listened to this YouTube video, and I had a hard time hearing any real difference between his "good" and 'crappy" recordings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMajhJfgM7o

With my Sony MDR-7506's on, I can hear some slight differences, but I would be happy if my "good" recordings sounded as bad as his supposed "crappy" voiceovers!
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby Ariosto » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:38 am

There isn't much difference with the "crappy" youtube recording because he's close miked. But when he was talking normally in his kitchen he was further away and you could hear more room sound and reverb.

I've killed my recording now as it is only a small part of a big project which will be published soon. But it is I think a reasonable example of a dry recording in a reasonably well treated room. Hope it helped.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby audio_jungle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:41 am

Ariosto wrote:There isn't much difference with the "crappy" youtube recording because he's close miked. But when he was talking normally in his kitchen he was further away and you could hear more room sound and reverb.

I've killed my recording now as it is only a small part of a big project which will be published soon. But it is I think a reasonable example of a dry recording in a reasonably well treated room. Hope it helped.

I will start another thread on this topic soon, as it really deviates from my OP.

BTW, I go to pick up my audio gear tonight after work, including a repalcement broadcast arm and Cloudlifter.

Will give everyone an update this weekend on what I find out, but I am confident that my original Cloudlifter is toast.

Either way, I am strumbling through all of this trying to reach greatness, so wish me luck!
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Is there anybody nearby that could possibly come round to give you hands-on help? I got tied up in knots once, many moons ago, and getting somebody in the same room who could see what I couldn't was a great help.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby audio_jungle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:Is there anybody nearby that could possibly come round to give you hands-on help? I got tied up in knots once, many moons ago, and getting somebody in the same room who could see what I couldn't was a great help.

Sadly, no.

My closest resources are mainly in the UK here on SOS! :D
audio_jungle
Regular

Previous