You are here

Linear Frequency Synthesizer

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Linear Frequency Synthesizer

Postby Hexo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Hello everybody;

I'm looking for a plugin or app that allows me to increase frequency with constant Hz per seconds. This is for a psychological test and I tested several synths and oscillator plug-ins like Ableton Operator, Melda Production Moscillator and more, but they look to have a non linear curve in the frequency domain. i.e. if you draw a linear envelope to modulate the frequency knob, it won't change linearly. Looks like they have kinds of internal curves pre-applyed to their knobs.

Any comments are highly appreciated.
Regards,
Ahmad Hasanabadi.
Hexo
Regular
There are a million keys to perfection and they are buried in different graves.

Re: Linear Frequency Synthesizer

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Probably because as the frequency increases, it takes longer and longer to get to the next note. 1kHz to 2kHz is one octave, but then so is 2kHz to 4kHz and then 4kHz to 8kHz.

So most sweeps are set for a logarithmic increase so that it takes the same time to sweep up (or down) each semitone or octave.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Hexo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Wonks wrote:Probably because as the frequency increases, it takes longer and longer to get to the next note. 1kHz to 2kHz is one octave, but then so is 2kHz to 4kHz and then 4kHz to 8kHz.

So most sweeps are set for a logarithmic increase so that it takes the same time to sweep up (or down) each semitone or octave.

That's absolutely true, but is there a way to spare this?
Hexo
Regular
There are a million keys to perfection and they are buried in different graves.

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm afraid I have no idea. You may have to write your own software or script an instrument in NI Reaktor.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby molecular » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:57 pm

If you're up for explaining the experiment, I'd be interested to hear why you'd want to do this. If you are trying to achieve a smooth, clean sweep through the frequencies that sounds "right", I would imagine the logarithmic one is what you'd be after, and a sweep that took as long to get from 10k - 20k as it had from 20 - 20k would sound "wrong".

I realise I have no idea what you're up to, though, and you will have reasons. Just curious!
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Adobe Audition's tone generator can be switched between log (default) and linear (option) frequency sweeps.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ken long » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:51 pm

I might be missing something but why not automate your own sweep?
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby LimitedHeadroom » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 am

It would be very easy to make something to do this in Max. I'd be happy to throw together a patch to do this for you, it would only take a few minutes. You can run it in the demo without limitations, it functions as a runtime. Let me know if you want me to knock something up.
LimitedHeadroom
Regular