You are here

Recommend best way and program to clone disk

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Recommend best way and program to clone disk

Postby Ariosto » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Can anyone recommend a program (free if possible) to clone a mac mini hard drive to a new external SSD? My wife's computer is running very slowly and we want to use a solid state drive to clone a copy of the op system (High Sierra) and data whilst keeping the old drive with all data, and then deleting any old unwanted rubbish and data from the new drive.

Thanks in anticipation.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Re: Recommend best way and program to clone disk

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:14 pm

You want Superduper. It does lots in its paid-for form but in its free form will do exactly what you're after.

Time Machine can also do the job but Superduper is significantly more straightforward.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby desmond » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 pm

+1 for Superduper which is what I use.

CarbonCopyCloner is the other recommended Mac tool for this.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ariosto » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Many thanks - that's just what i wanted to hear. Will be using it in a day or two. Thanks again!
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Another thumbs up for SuperDuper from me. Its so easy to use you really can’t go wrong. Its well worth paying the small fee for the paid version too.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby Ariosto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks! I've run the program Superduper on my wife's computer and it appears successful, but I cannot get a choice of disks under preferences - it only shows the Macintosh boot drive. I've tried many things like holding down various keys on booting. (It said it made the drive bootable - or the boot drive on completion).

On my computer I get the option in preferences of choosing the solid state drive or the Mac drive.

Can't seem to be able to boot up from the new ssd drive. Any thoughts?
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am

Assuming you've properly cloned your system drive to another drive, and both are available to the system:

When you turn the computer, hold option, until a menu appears, showing all available drives that your system sees as bootable - you can then choose which one you want to boot from.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ariosto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

desmond wrote:Assuming you've properly cloned your system drive to another drive, and both are available to the system:

When you turn the computer, hold option, until a menu appears, showing all available drives that your system sees as bootable - you can then choose which one you want to boot from.
Thanks.
I have done that and the drive does not come up, only the Mac drive shown.

So maybe it's not recognising it as a drive that's bootable? Maybe I have to down load the operating system from Apple again onto that drive?
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:32 pm

Ariosto wrote:So maybe it's not recognising it as a drive that's bootable? Maybe I have to down load the operating system from Apple again onto that drive?

No, a clone is a clone, and should be just as bootable as your source drive (provided you didn't copy the drive to a disk image file or something like that.)

Can your Mac boot from an external drive? How is the drive connected?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ariosto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:47 pm

On my computer it does boot from an external ssd drive, but on my wife's it won't. I did clone her mac drive and it seemed to have worked. But the drive is not showing as an alternative boot drive. So it appears to not recognise it as a bootable drive.

On both computers the drives are connected by USB.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 pm

So with the cloned SSD plugged into your Mac, you can boot from it, but if the same drive is plugged into the other computer, it doesn't show up?

If so, it sounds like the other Mac is old and doesn't have the hardware to let it boot over USB, but the drive itself is fine. You can always put the SSD into the other Mac and see whether it will boot from it internally...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ariosto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 pm

It won't work. I've got the op system on the ssd drive now, with help from the mac people - but it's a disaster as a mirror image.

I'm fed up with macs. Going to change back sometime soon to a Microsoft windows system and computer. Apple change the op system every ten minutes and each one gets worse than the last. By early next year our mac's will be in the rubbish dump. Overpriced rubbish, I'm afraid.

Thanks for your help, but computers are enough to send one to an early grave!
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi Ariosto,

I'd advise going to :-

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com

type in your macs serial number and it should tell you what the maximum and minimum operating systems are for your macs. Its possible that your imaged OS is not compatible.

Hope this helps
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Ariosto » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:17 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Hi Ariosto,

I'd advise going to :-

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com

type in your macs serial number and it should tell you what the maximum and minimum operating systems are for your macs. Its possible that your imaged OS is not compatible.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I used the link and It appears that the operating system is compatible. I think the clone program is the problem, it is now not working at all. I've given up and I'm using the new ssd drive as an external drive on my own machine, and my wife will have to put up with a slow computer.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby wireman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 pm

I replaced the disk in the Macbook Pro my wife uses last year and I don't remember it being too difficult, The built-in disk clone from the recovery console did not work because of a size mismatch in the drives and I think I was going to use Macrium reflect from a laptop (disk in an enclosure) but in the end just installed the SSD from a time machine backup. Note that this is not equivalent to cloning, you lose the recovery options.

Most annoying part of the project was getting the screwdriver needed to replace the battery which I did at the same time, as far as I can tell the only use of that screwdriver (ever) is for the screws in the particular model I have.
wireman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Macbook Pro batteries are fixed with a stupid (IMHO) screw that requires a three point screwdriver..... :headbang: Other components, mostly, use a Phillips like four point driver (it may be a JIS driver but that's another story) but a couple use a Torx six point driver. I can't understand why they would use three (at least) different forms of screw head on screws which are mostly the same thread size. It's not for identification as they are, either clearly different (length or colour) or, like most of the screws holding the bottom panel on my MBP, the same head/size/colour but , some have a shoulder and some don't.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 am

I don't think I'm being particularly conspiracy driven when I suggest screws with non-standard heads are specifically intended to make life difficult for the DIY repairer/upgrader. Why make it easy for owners to upgrade and give up all that lovely moolah that comes from making them pay for it?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby wireman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 pm

The 2009 model I have uses a Pentalobe screw (PL5 or PL6). Wiha make a decent scredriver that fits.
wireman
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Macbook Pro batteries are fixed with a stupid (IMHO) screw that requires a three point screwdriver.....

Heh, I had to replace the keyboard in my MBP, so I bought one of those a couple of weeks back - £2 off ebay iirc - but I didn't need it, as you can completely strip a MBP down without removing the battery anyway...

A bit annoying, but not the biggest of problems really...
desmond
Jedi Poster