ConcertinaChap wrote:Best of luck! :)
It's been... uh, an *interesting* journey..!
I bought a temporary 1TB 2.5 drive to use as a test bed - used SuperDuper to back up my current system SSD as usual, then also to clone the SSD to the new drive (it took 6.5 hours over USB2!), and booting from it to check it was working ok. Then installed Sierra on that drive, so that I wouldn't lose my current El Cap system while I figured out the impact of Sierra and whether I was going to be able to move to it or not.
I had to do some funky kext replacements because of my GPU issue but luckily despite some hacky nvram and EFI boot things, these things held OK while installing and the GPU stuff was much less of a factor than it otherwise could have been.
Kernel panics caused by plugging in any FW device were caused by an old M-Audio interface driver (bye bye!), and I had a *lovely* issue where when holding the FN key and pressing another key (eg FN + cursors to move by pages, or to access function/brightness controls), the FN modifier would not apply to the simultaneous key pressed, but the *next* key press (regardless of whether FN was still being held or not). That caused some freaky behaviour while editing config files! I narrowed this down to USBOverdrive which was still present, though technically inactive (I'd moved to Steermouse a year or so back as USBOverdrive, despite using it for years, had a specific issue that wasn't going to be addressed - bye bye!) so that got solved.
Safari 12 also killed a lot of browser extensions, specifically the old User CSS extension which I use to modify certain sites' styles (eg, to widen the SOS forum so it's not so cramped) and there aren't any new extensions that do this, so I used Safari's global styles to do this instead, which is not ideal but works.
Once I was satisifed that there weren't any immediate showstoppers, I again used SuperDuper to clone the work drive back to the 500GB SSD. The 1TB drive will ultimately end up inside the MBP replacing the current 750GB also in there for a little bit of extra internal space.
I had to reprogram the odd applescript used for driving the interface as some of the dialog box wording had changed, and obviously Logic had to rescan all my plugins etc. No problem re-activating iLok authorisations which I deactivated before the move. I updated a few key bits of software to current versions now that I could.
So I only really have one issue left, which is (as usual) OS upgrades tend to hose my web development config (it replaces all your apache/php config files etc with virgin new fresh ones and some other funky stuff down there in unix land) and things are still not working right yet, and I'm still wrestling a bit with that.
I'm sure some other things will turn up over time, but hopefully they will be fairly minor.
The new Logic update is nice! :thumbup: