You are here

Logic Pro X 10.4.2 released

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Logic Pro X 10.4.2 released

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:49 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Best of luck! :)

It's been... uh, an *interesting* journey..!

I bought a temporary 1TB 2.5 drive to use as a test bed - used SuperDuper to back up my current system SSD as usual, then also to clone the SSD to the new drive (it took 6.5 hours over USB2!), and booting from it to check it was working ok. Then installed Sierra on that drive, so that I wouldn't lose my current El Cap system while I figured out the impact of Sierra and whether I was going to be able to move to it or not.

I had to do some funky kext replacements because of my GPU issue but luckily despite some hacky nvram and EFI boot things, these things held OK while installing and the GPU stuff was much less of a factor than it otherwise could have been.

Kernel panics caused by plugging in any FW device were caused by an old M-Audio interface driver (bye bye!), and I had a *lovely* issue where when holding the FN key and pressing another key (eg FN + cursors to move by pages, or to access function/brightness controls), the FN modifier would not apply to the simultaneous key pressed, but the *next* key press (regardless of whether FN was still being held or not). That caused some freaky behaviour while editing config files! I narrowed this down to USBOverdrive which was still present, though technically inactive (I'd moved to Steermouse a year or so back as USBOverdrive, despite using it for years, had a specific issue that wasn't going to be addressed - bye bye!) so that got solved.

Safari 12 also killed a lot of browser extensions, specifically the old User CSS extension which I use to modify certain sites' styles (eg, to widen the SOS forum so it's not so cramped) and there aren't any new extensions that do this, so I used Safari's global styles to do this instead, which is not ideal but works.

Once I was satisifed that there weren't any immediate showstoppers, I again used SuperDuper to clone the work drive back to the 500GB SSD. The 1TB drive will ultimately end up inside the MBP replacing the current 750GB also in there for a little bit of extra internal space.

I had to reprogram the odd applescript used for driving the interface as some of the dialog box wording had changed, and obviously Logic had to rescan all my plugins etc. No problem re-activating iLok authorisations which I deactivated before the move. I updated a few key bits of software to current versions now that I could.

So I only really have one issue left, which is (as usual) OS upgrades tend to hose my web development config (it replaces all your apache/php config files etc with virgin new fresh ones and some other funky stuff down there in unix land) and things are still not working right yet, and I'm still wrestling a bit with that.

I'm sure some other things will turn up over time, but hopefully they will be fairly minor.

The new Logic update is nice! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 pm

desmond wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:Best of luck! :)

It's been... uh, an *interesting* journey..!

I bought a temporary 1TB 2.5 drive to use as a test bed - used SuperDuper to back up my current system SSD as usual, then also to clone the SSD to the new drive (it took 6.5 hours over USB2!), and booting from it to check it was working ok. Then installed Sierra on that drive, so that I wouldn't lose my current El Cap system while I figured out the impact of Sierra and whether I was going to be able to move to it or not.

I had to do some funky kext replacements because of my GPU issue but luckily despite some hacky nvram and EFI boot things, these things held OK while installing and the GPU stuff was much less of a factor than it otherwise could have been.

Kernel panics caused by plugging in any FW device were caused by an old M-Audio interface driver (bye bye!), and I had a *lovely* issue where when holding the FN key and pressing another key (eg FN + cursors to move by pages, or to access function/brightness controls), the FN modifier would not apply to the simultaneous key pressed, but the *next* key press (regardless of whether FN was still being held or not). That caused some freaky behaviour while editing config files! I narrowed this down to USBOverdrive which was still present, though technically inactive (I'd moved to Steermouse a year or so back as USBOverdrive, despite using it for years, had a specific issue that wasn't going to be addressed - bye bye!) so that got solved.

Safari 12 also killed a lot of browser extensions, specifically the old User CSS extension which I use to modify certain sites' styles (eg, to widen the SOS forum so it's not so cramped) and there aren't any new extensions that do this, so I used Safari's global styles to do this instead, which is not ideal but works.

Once I was satisifed that there weren't any immediate showstoppers, I again used SuperDuper to clone the work drive back to the 500GB SSD. The 1TB drive will ultimately end up inside the MBP replacing the current 750GB also in there for a little bit of extra internal space.

I had to reprogram the odd applescript used for driving the interface as some of the dialog box wording had changed, and obviously Logic had to rescan all my plugins etc. No problem re-activating iLok authorisations which I deactivated before the move. I updated a few key bits of software to current versions now that I could.

So I only really have one issue left, which is (as usual) OS upgrades tend to hose my web development config (it replaces all your apache/php config files etc with virgin new fresh ones and some other funky stuff down there in unix land) and things are still not working right yet, and I'm still wrestling a bit with that.

I'm sure some other things will turn up over time, but hopefully they will be fairly minor.

The new Logic update is nice! :thumbup:

This is all well and good, but can you play Candy Crush on it? :bouncy:
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Well that was a fun mission through the depths of unix...

An Apache security change had broken my sites as it no longer allows for underscores in domain names.
They're all back working now, but it took all morning to figure that one out..!

So I'm more or less fine now on Sierra... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:47 pm

desmond wrote:It's been... uh, an *interesting* journey..!

...the pleasure of which I decided to undergo again for the upgrade to High Sierra.

This one was even *more* interesting, taking three days and a few attempts, and a few things learnt. I won't bore you with all the details...

desmond wrote:So I only really have one issue left, which is (as usual) OS upgrades tend to hose my web development config

This one also threw up some fun issues to solve (it always seems to be different issues with each new update...)

desmond wrote:So I'm more or less fine now on Sierra... :thumbup:

So I'm more or less fine now on High Sierra, which will be the last OS update for this machine.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 pm

Sympathy's not quite the right word, out and out admiration is closer! Glad you're sorted!

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Sympathy's not quite the right word

It probably is if you knew what I went through! :lol:

ConcertinaChap wrote:Glad you're sorted!

Thanks - seems all good for now, no real compatibility or software issues I've discovered (so far).

Should keep this machine going for a bit longer and keep up to date with Logic...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Previous