You are here

Apple Pencil uses for Music?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Apple Pencil uses for Music?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:26 pm

The latest shiny toy I have is the apple pencil and I am about to send it back. I was hoping to find more music-based uses for it but haven’t had much luck. Has anybody found any music uses for this thing?

Side note - i have to chuckle at the fact that it is necessary to watch tutorials to learn how to use a “pencil”.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Re: Apple Pencil uses for Music?

Postby zenguitar » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:31 pm

That's useful, I'm still thinking about the Apple Pencil. The case for my iPad Pro has a section to hold one, so every time I use it I'm tempted to fill the gap.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Yes - new iPad Pro. One forgets that a case must be purchased as well. Oh and the case I bought has a loop for the Pencil. And of course, it is too small to hold the Pencil! :headbang:

I was also hoping to use it for handwriting recognition but I am discovering that with my poor penmanship even a doctor couldn’t read my writing. So I find it easier to hit the little mic button and use speak to text.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:33 pm

I have an old iPad Pro and have the previous gen Apple Pencil. I have used it for notation and it’s handy for scribbling down chords when working out pieces. I thought it would be useful for general note taking but it’s easier/quicker to type stuff in using the keyboard. As a tool for drawing, I think it’s excellent (and ultimately what I think it was designed to do). However I can’t draw so that side is wasted on me :headbang:

At the end of the day a pencil and a piece of manuscript paper work better for me.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby ore_terra » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:14 pm

I own a 2017 iPad and the pencil. I take a lot of notes at work and I havent used paper ever since I got it :-D
I use goodnotes app.

Musicwise, it’s easier and more accurate to use cubasis with the pencil rather than the fingers, but I wouldnt call that “using it for music applications”
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 am

zenguitar wrote:That's useful, I'm still thinking about the Apple Pencil. The case for my iPad Pro has a section to hold one, so every time I use it I'm tempted to fill the gap.

Andy, if you want to ‘test drive’ an Apple Pencil, you’re more than welcome to give mine a try. PM me if interested.
Guido3
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks for the offer.

I'm in town shopping this afternoon so I think I'll pay a visit to the Apple Store and have a play.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Guido3 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 am

zenguitar wrote:
I'm in town shopping this afternoon so I think I'll pay a visit to the Apple Store and have a play.

How did you get on? I have just sold my Apple Pencil and everyone who enquired about it was going to use it for art/technical drawing/design purposes. No musicians!!!
Guido3
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:11 pm

I bought it. Useful for notes and drawings but not found a musical use for it yet.

However, I recently installed Logic Pro X on the iMac and downloaded the Logic Control app. I haven't tried yet, but it might be useful for drawing envelopes and controller data.

When I'm next in town I need to visit the Apple store again, when I tried out the pencil there was an app that worked really well for handwriting recognition but I can't find it on the App Store. And the drawing app I tried in store was excellent as well.

So no regrets even if I have no music use for it.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:39 pm

I decided to keep mine. Mostly because of note taking. I’m am currently looking at lots of YouTube’s and reading reviews on writing apps. I’ve narrowed it down to one or two I might buy and a bunch that I don’t like. I also found the reputed best handwriting to text app, the weirdly named MyScript Nebo. I will probably buy that.
But the best part is I find I can be a lot more accurate with where onscreen I need to tap. My fingers aren’t real chunky but the pencil is way better for exact placement of a cursor or for clicking on a link.

I wish there was an app that could edit Logic marker information and then put the info back at the exact position on the timeline where the original marker was, in other words, locked to SMPTE time. I won’t hold my breath on that.

And now of course there is the version 2 of the pencil. . . . . . . Thanks apple. :headbang:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Recently blessed with a pencil compatible iPad I wondered...

What's the difference between the older pencil and the new 2 version?

Can get a version one pretty cheap...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:20 pm

V2 only works with 2018 iPad Pro.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Ok thanks
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I decided to keep mine. Mostly because of note taking. I’m am currently looking at lots of YouTube’s and reading reviews on writing apps. I’ve narrowed it down to one or two I might buy and a bunch that I don’t like. I also found the reputed best handwriting to text app, the weirdly named MyScript Nebo. I will probably buy that.
I have the NEbo app, but I found out that handwriting to text is not as important as indexable handwriting. therefore, the app I use most is goodnotes. it's not as good converting text as Nebo, but it's better just managing handwritten notes, and these are indexable (the app will still recognize the text), and searchable.

... as I said before, I haven't used a notebook ever since I bought the 2017 iPad with the pencil.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Good notes was in my top 3. You raise a good point about searchability etc. Notability was my second choice. I need to figure out how important handwriting to text will be in my note taking.
I was hoping to take handwritten notes at spotting sessions that i could then import into Logic’s markers without having to retype them. That plus keeping track of requested fixes and tweaks. This transition to paperless has many options to consider.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster