You are here

A modern audio file editor?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

A modern audio file editor?

Postby baward » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Is there a go-to file editor for AIFF, m4a files etc.? It’s for topping and tailing and minor destructive edits. I was a longterm SoundEdit fan, so something akin to that would interest me. I have been using Amadeus Pro, which is good but I would like to have an alternative. I am also quite familiar with Audacity. TIA!
baward
Regular

Re: A modern audio file editor?

Postby The Korff » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:19 pm

I've always liked Soundforge — not sure what the current state of play is on the Mac version though... Soundforge For Mac was released a few years ago; it didn't have all the features of the PC version but it should be more than up to top-and-tailing files.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ken long » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:45 pm

baward wrote:Is there a go-to file editor for AIFF, m4a files etc.? It’s for topping and tailing and minor destructive edits. I was a longterm SoundEdit fan, so something akin to that would interest me. I have been using Amadeus Pro, which is good but I would like to have an alternative. I am also quite familiar with Audacity. TIA!

Been using Wavelab since version 6 and couldn't be happier. The latest version (9.5) has more tools than you can shake a stick at. Layout is customisable and is generally ergonomic. It now comes with DDP player and some powerful restoration tools.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Chevytraveller » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi

Two of my personal favourites..

http://www.icedaudio.com/site/#features

https://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/Site/DSP-Quattro.html

Audiofinder is a fantastic(and now almost indispensable) sample management and editing system.. particularly brilliant when using in conjunction with a DAW as it allows sample libraries to be edited, indexed, meta-tagged and placed into a timeline.. a great workflow improver.

DSP Quattro is one of the best fully featured editors I have come across.. and allows for loop points and effect applications..

Also worthy of note is Izotope's RX Spectral editor which allows you to do truly mind-blowing things with audio like nothing else..

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx.html

all amazing products

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 pm

I was a fan of Wavelab back in my Windoze days but since returning ITB with a Mac I do everything in Reaper. The editing facilities are superb and work just as well on a single stereo track as on a multichannel recording. The only nag is that it doesn't natively import .wma files on the Mac but seems happy with anything else I've tried so far (off the top of my head, .mp3, .mp4, .wav, .m4a and .m4v).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:44 pm

The only problem with Reaper is that you have to render to a new file if you want to keep the changes. I must admit that I do all the topping and tailing as well as fades in the Reaper timeline though.

I'll add Adobe Audition to the list of alternatives although I stopped updating it when they went to the subscription model.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:58 am

Another vote for DSP Quattro, which as well as being a good editor is also excellent for mastering CDs (if you've ever used Waveburner you'd feel right at home). The developer is very responsive to emails.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Still Vibrations » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 am

Another vote for DSP-Quattro and Izotope RX7.

After using these two editors I no longer miss Bias Peak, which at one time I thought was irreplaceable. Occasionally I also edit in Ableton Live when I want to use a chain of effects, although both DSP-Quattro and RX7 can use plug-ins.
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)