You are here

Best for running Logic - 4x 8Gb cores or 2x 16Gb cores?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Best for running Logic - 4x 8Gb cores or 2x 16Gb cores?

Postby dorkusmalorkus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Guys, for running Logic Pro X on a Macbook Pro would you say 4x 8Gb cores would be better than 2x 16Gb cores? I mostly make band demos but looking to expand a wee bit soon too.

On my old mac with 2x 8Gb cores I could often get the 'System overloaded' message so I probably need a bump at least (along with DaVinci Resolve running like a dog too; video editing software) but I'm not sure which tactic to apply here.

I only tend to run one intensive application at a time and I'm always dubious about how efficient application's mutli-threading ACTUALLY are...

Thanks!
dorkusmalorkus

Re: Best for running Logic - 4x 8Gb cores or 2x 16Gb cores?

Postby MOF » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:05 pm

I’m not a computer expert but I think it’s fair to say that it’s the total amount of RAM that’s important, not its configuration, so long as they’re installed in pairs (that might not be the case these days). You’re installing them in pairs so there shouldn’t be an issue.
MOF
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 pm

My understanding is that it is not necessary to install in pairs but you do still get a performance advantage by doing so because it enables the computer to use something called dual channel mode. So I agree with MOF, you're sorted either way.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby wireman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pm

dorkusmalorkus wrote:Guys, for running Logic Pro X on a Macbook Pro would you say 4x 8Gb cores would be better than 2x 16Gb cores?!

First, assuming you are talking about memory upgrades here.

What makes you think it has 4 memory slots?
wireman
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 pm

I couldn't make sense of the question either... :headbang:

I couldn't figure out whether the OP was trying to talk about CPU cores, or RAM, and whether he meant Gb or GB or GHz, if RAM why 4 slots was an option on a Macbook Pro, the only MBP's that support 32GB being the newest ones, whether his performance problems were CPU related or RAM related etc etc.

I figured if I had to work that hard to figure out what the question was, I probably wasn't in a position to be of much help..!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:58 pm

:D
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby dorkusmalorkus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Apologies for not being clear guys!

Basically I need a new Macbook and I can get -

2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13", Intel Core i5 dual-core, 16GB RAM

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-grey-2.3ghz-dual-core-256gb#

Or

2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13", Intel Core i5 quad-core, 8GB RAM

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-grey-256gb-2.3ghz-quad-core#

How intelligent is Logic with its utilisation of mutli cores? Is 4 going to be a waste?

Hope that's a bit clearer.
dorkusmalorkus

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Logic has been multi core aware for a long time - it can use up to 32 cores.

More cores will give you more overall mix grunt, faster chip speeds will give you more power on a single thread for power hungry plugins (one channel is always processed on one thread).

Always go for 16gb if you can, 8gb is about the minimum for Logic imo these days.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby dorkusmalorkus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 am

So in your opinion, a machine with 16Gb dual-core processor would overall be a better option than working with a 8Gb quad-core processor?
dorkusmalorkus

Postby Chevytraveller » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:54 am

If you can, the save more money and get the quad core with 16Gb RAM.. less than this and you're gonna regret it and have no means of upgrading in the future(because of Apple's current F**k You upgrade policies) :headbang:

personally I still use an older machine (2012) which has a Quad-Core i7 and 16 Gb of RAM for exactly this reason and it never runs out of horsepower..

sorry if that's not what you were hoping to hear but you are gonna hit limitations with either of the options you have specified

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:58 am

8GB's about the minimum for the O/S, let alone Logic. The trade off you've got there is a bit tricky to call but if you really have no other alternatives then Desmond is right (as usual) so go for the 16GB. But if you can stretch to quad core 16GB then your machine will have a significantly longer life before it runs out of grunt.

If you're not doing so already have a look at the Apple refurbs. They can make your money go a fair chunk further for to-all-intents-and-purposes new machines.

CC

Edit: Chevy traveller and I were typing at the same time. All we need is someone else to say the same thing and the matter will be beyond doubt. "What I tell you three times is true" - Lewis Carroll.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster