You are here

Tags - Searching for Logic Pro Files

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Tags - Searching for Logic Pro Files

Postby alexlimbert » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:54 am

Hi,

New to Mac. When I save a Logic Pro file, I see you can add tags to the file. My question is, how can you later search for those tags to find the file again at a later date?

Thank you.
alexlimbert
Poster

Re: Tags - Searching for Logic Pro Files

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm

I keep my projects on drive dedicated to LogicX, each project folder with the title of the song.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby desmond » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:41 pm

alexlimbert wrote:New to Mac. When I save a Logic Pro file, I see you can add tags to the file. My question is, how can you later search for those tags to find the file again at a later date?

There is no such facility in Logic's save project or export dialogs, so I presume you are talking about the Finder's ability to tag files and folders (regardless of what files they are).

(These are also in the file dialog's sidebar - again, this is a Finder feature, not a Logic one as such).

There are many ways you can use tags in the finder - you can set up smart searches (eg "show me all the blue tagged Logic projects created in the last month"), and you can order or group by tags and so on.

I will often use Tags to indicate status - so for example, I will have sample projects, and I will tag them for example orange to indicate they have been looped, blue to indicate they have been mapped, red to indicate there is something I need to address, and green when they are complete.

If you want to know how to search in the Finder, in a finder window you can type Command-F and you have a bunch of options to search - you can also save searches. File -> New Smart Folder is also useful in this context.

You can also do these searches in the open/save dialogs too.

But the point being, this is a Finder feature, so if you want to learn more google "osx finder tags" or similar will get you plenty of guides to show you ways to use the feature.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby alexlimbert » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 am

Thank you very much Desmond. That's exactly what I was looking for.
alexlimbert
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 am

You're welcome!
desmond
Jedi Poster