You are here

How do I connect midi keyboard to Logic Pro X and Apogee Duet SC?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

How do I connect midi keyboard to Logic Pro X and Apogee Duet SC?

Postby Baldo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:19 pm

I know this seems like a really basic question, how do I connect my stage piano which has Midi in and Midi out sockets to my Mac Book Pro?

It has been a while since I did this, I have the midi cables but I have totally forgotten how to do this.

I have an 88 note weighted keyboard and I want to use this as the controller for the software instruments in Logic.

thanks for any help on this. Real basic question, i know.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: How do I connect midi keyboard to Logic Pro X and Apogee Duet SC?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 pm

Well, connect the MIDI in and out on your stage piano to the MIDI out and in on the breakout cable of your Duet. In all likelihood that's all you'll need to do since Logic and Mac OS defaults are pretty sensible but if you do need to do any configuration the Audio MIDI Setup app (in the Applications/Utilities folder) and Preferences / MIDI in Logic is what you'll need to look at.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 am

thanks for your reply, but my duet breakout cable does not have any midi inputs.

The duet only has: 2 XLR balanced audio inputs , 2 x 1/4 inch Jack audio inputs, and 2 x 1/4 inch audio outputs.

there is also a 1/4 inch headphone out from the duet.

I dont think I had another midi breakout cable for the duet.

Am i missing something here??
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:10 pm

You can get a little midi to usb adaptor for about a tenner, then you can just plug straight into the mac, missing out the interface altogether.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:19 pm

At https://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ ... oduct-tour it says:

Duet provides a single USB MIDI connection for your CoreMIDI compatible keyboard, synth, or DJ controller. This eliminates the need for an external MIDI interface and promotes an all-in-one music creation solution where Duet and Maestro manage all audio and MIDI. On iPad, Duet’s MIDI connection allows both Duet and a keyboard or DJ controller to be connected at the same time to the iPad’s single connector (Lightning or 30-pin).

This is potentially a bit confusing, as it does not eliminate the need for additional external MIDI hardware unless you have an synth/controller with a USB MIDI interface.

If you have conventional DIN-style MIDI sockets on your stage piano you'll need something to convert the USB MIDI interface to DIN-style MIDI connections.

I would imagine something like this would work: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Interface-OI ... 07FQRR73B/

You could also plug that directly into the Mac, bypassing the Duet, although if you don't like the interface on the Duet still showing up as an option in your software then plugging it into the Duet should keep things simpler.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Baldo wrote:The duet only has: 2 XLR balanced audio inputs , 2 x 1/4 inch Jack audio inputs, and 2 x 1/4 inch audio outputs.

My apologies, when I looked on the Apogee website it showed the Duet breakout cable as having MIDI sockets - maybe I got the wrong model.

In that case I'd agree with the good Doctor, USB-MIDI interfaces are cheap and as class-compliant devices easy to use because they don't need drivers. Eddy's suggestion is likely as good as any and looks a little prettier than most.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:32 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote: when I looked on the Apogee website it showed the Duet breakout cable as having MIDI sockets - maybe I got the wrong model.

Yeah, I had a 1st generation Duet and it did include MIDI cables in the breakout - they obviously went to a USB only configuration in later hardware. I'd moved on by then due to the infamous firewire debacle of which we no longer speak :roll:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Admittedly I do speak about it; in fact I tend to shout about it at every opportunity!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:25 pm

I have one of the older models of Duet, full Aluminium enclosure and knob.

There are no midi interfaces.

I'll take a look at the usb - midi interface, that might be the best route to go down.
Baldo
Regular

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm

It seems that the best way forward is to just by pass the duet and use a USB - Midi interface with the stage piano. So I have ordered the cable and it should be with me tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys (or ladies or any of the other 83 or so Genders that there might be here!!!!!)

Baldo
Baldo
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Yeah, that's it .. the original FW device doesn't have MIDI support. In my head I'd confused the XLRs on the breakout cable with MIDI (it's been ages since I had one).

Sorry for any confusion resulting from the mixup there, but yeah the USB-MIDI solution should work fine for you!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Baldo wrote:It seems that the best way forward is to just by pass the duet and use a USB - Midi interface with the stage piano.

There really is no issue with this - my UAD kit has no MIDI at all and so I have done the same. Have fun.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster