You are here

Thoughts on DP10?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Thoughts on DP10?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:23 am

Have to say - DP10 looks intriguing especially with the "Clips" capability - like - LPX + Ableton combined.

The cross-grade price makes it very competitive

Thoughts?
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Thoughts on DP10?

Postby Still Vibrations » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:37 am

Personally I have never got on with Ableton style clips added to a more usual DAW. I liked Logic 7 but once Logic 8 started moving in the Live direction I couldn't get on with it. Now I use Ableton Live 10.
I did think of using Digital Performer at one time which I think would have suited me better than Logic.
These are only my personal opinions, many really like the introduction of Ableton clips into a standard DAW.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 pm

I know a composers who use DP and swear by it. it seems to be very straight forward to use. I have Logic and Abelton but only getting into Ableton now. I 'get' the clip aspect to it - it's like another Layer to a DAW - so I am personally intrigued to learn a little more about DP's implementation - from the overview Youtube videos it seems to offer some variation on capability; and overall (to me) does look like the perfect hybrid of LPX and Ableton. Will be very interested to see how this pans out (excuse the pun :-) ).
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Chromeman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 pm

It's a great DAW once you've been initiated into its ways of working and there's very little it can't do. However, it does have some quirks. There are no midi regions as such so in the sequence window you have to select the notes rather than simply highlight a 'block' like you would in any other DAW. This has always really irritated me. Up until DP 10 you only had relative grid mode but this has finally been addressed so you now have absolute as well. Song mode is bizarre until you get your head around the concept. Re the new clips, it seems strange you can't record a clip performance onto the main timeline or maybe I'm missing something. However, MOTU are definitely trying to expand the appeal of DP and it's certainly right up there in terms of functionality, quirks apart.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby Kevin Nolan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:50 am

Why is having no MIDI regions an issue? Genuine question.

And - I wonder if this is now changed - it'd be curious if on their clips screen you can create MIDI clips, but then not see them on arrange page.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Chromeman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 am

It's down to speed and workflow. I use lots of software instruments in Logic. As an example. let's say I have created a handful of tracks with midi data all in regions. I can simply highlight these and drag them wherever on the timeline. Very quick. If you are in DP's sequence window you need to find the start and end of the notes you want to move, use the select region tool to highlight, then perform the move. Not even sure you can do that across multiple tracks. You can of course use the Tracks Overview window which does have midi blocks but it's a pain elsewhere. People have been asking for it for years. Oh, and there's only real-time freeze/bounce. Again really quick to render midi tracks to audio in Logic or S1/Cubase and PT. In DP you need to highlight the instrument and the midi track and then render in real-time.
Chromeman
Regular