You are here

Logic Pro X: MidiFX Scripter and Sysex?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X: MidiFX Scripter and Sysex?

Postby esaruoho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Has anyone had any luck using the midiFX Scripter to create sliders for Sysex values? I was able to find a place with a CC Value slider generation script elsewhere on the web, but Sysex value slidering eludes me.

Most Logic Facebook groups have zero knowledge of the environment or midifx stuff and they just stare at me and ask unrelated questions in their confusion. maybe this would be the place where people know what's up.
esaruoho
New here

Re: Logic Pro X: MidiFX Scripter and Sysex?

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:32 pm

I haven't looked recently, but Logic channel strips don't pass MIDI sysex at all, so my initial guess would be the scripter probably can't output sysex, or that plugins wouldn't receive sysex output from the scripter.

What exactly are you trying to do?

(Note, the best place to ask this stuff is on www.LogicProHelp.com - plenty of very techy Logic types are there...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby esaruoho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:41 pm

desmond wrote:I haven't looked recently, but Logic channel strips don't pass MIDI sysex at all, so my initial guess would be the scripter probably can't output sysex, or that plugins wouldn't receive sysex output from the scripter.

What exactly are you trying to do?

(Note, the best place to ask this stuff is on http://www.LogicProHelp.com - plenty of very techy Logic types are there...)

I have a Sound Canvas box that i'm currently controlling with Sysex -sending faders in the Logic Environment, built according to the manual for the synth. I was hoping to create the same sliders into a MidiFX Scripter. I'll go and ask on logicprohelp, too. :)

The only issue I ran into with using MidiFX Scripter + External Instrument was that I can't actually use the sliders in the environment to send data into the synth, if the External Instrument is selected from the Arrangement view. I'd then have to also select a Midi Device. I'm hoping to combine the best of both worlds, using Logic Remote to view Smart Controls (which the MidiFX Scripter does now), but also retaining the Logic Sysex fader control, by just selecting one track instead of multiple ones. I guess one other possibility would be to somehow group a Midi Device and an External Instrument together and send data to both, but I worry that will erase the Smart Controls from being displayed.
esaruoho
New here

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:02 pm

esaruoho wrote:I was hoping to create the same sliders into a MidiFX Scripter.

Ok, you're building an editor to send to the external instrument plugin.

esaruoho wrote:The only issue I ran into with using MidiFX Scripter + External Instrument was that I can't actually use the sliders in the environment to send data into the synth, if the External Instrument is selected from the Arrangement view.

That's a MIDI routing issue, and you can probably get round it - eg either by selecting multiple tracks in the arrange, or by routing the environment sliders directly to the instrument, bypassing the arrange tracks completely (but again, it's difficult to know exactly your requirements from a cursory look.)

esaruoho wrote:I'd then have to also select a Midi Device. I'm hoping to combine the best of both worlds, using Logic Remote to view Smart Controls (which the MidiFX Scripter does now), but also retaining the Logic Sysex fader control, by just selecting one track instead of multiple ones. I guess one other possibility would be to somehow group a Midi Device and an External Instrument together and send data to both, but I worry that will erase the Smart Controls from being displayed.

So, I would recommend cabling the output of the sysex faders to the instrument directly in the environment. That way, moving those sliders always sends sysex directly to the instrument, regardless of what tracks you have selected in the arrange page...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby esaruoho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:09 pm

desmond wrote:So, I would recommend cabling the output of the sysex faders to the instrument directly in the environment. That way, moving those sliders always sends sysex directly to the instrument, regardless of what tracks you have selected in the arrange page...

Hmm, that's actually very clever. Thing is, that I'll then have to duplicate the sysex sliders since the synth has two parts. I guess I can work around that, though. hmm. Good idea, thanks for the assist! Will try to figure it out.
esaruoho
New here

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:34 pm

esaruoho wrote:Hmm, that's actually very clever. Thing is, that I'll then have to duplicate the sysex sliders since the synth has two parts. I guess I can work around that, though. hmm. Good idea, thanks for the assist! Will try to figure it out.

No probs. Doing anything complicated in the environment becomes an exercise in workarounds - many of us have been doing it for years! ;)

I'd love an environment overhaul, with scripting objects, variables and other more convenient functions, but it seems that's unlikely ever to happen...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby esaruoho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 pm

desmond wrote:
esaruoho wrote:Hmm, that's actually very clever. Thing is, that I'll then have to duplicate the sysex sliders since the synth has two parts. I guess I can work around that, though. hmm. Good idea, thanks for the assist! Will try to figure it out.

No probs. Doing anything complicated in the environment becomes an exercise in workarounds - many of us have been doing it for years! ;)

I'd love an environment overhaul, with scripting objects, variables and other more convenient functions, but it seems that's unlikely ever to happen...

i'd be really happy if the Smart Controls would allow for sending CC directly to a midi device, instead of weird workarounds. the knobs are available (5 per strip channel entry) but not visible in smart controls. so weird.
esaruoho
New here

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:07 pm

esaruoho wrote:i'd be really happy if the Smart Controls would allow for sending CC directly to a midi device, instead of weird workarounds.

Have you seen this?:
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133902#p684096
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby esaruoho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:10 pm

desmond wrote:
esaruoho wrote:i'd be really happy if the Smart Controls would allow for sending CC directly to a midi device, instead of weird workarounds.

Have you seen this?:
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133902#p684096

yep, was glad to find v3 of that - which raised the question of making sliders for sysex, but even tho this gives me the possibility of setting CCs, and using Smart Controls with Logic Remote, it still requires for me to be using external instrument -softsynths. Because MidiFX is only available for "softsynths", not Midi Devices :)

It was wonderful to see that script, it's my default script now for modifying multiple CC things, and i've set Logic Remote up to show them for each and every channel
esaruoho
New here