You are here

OK Done f==d myself

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: OK Done f==d myself

Postby MadManDan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 pm

So here's the current deal: the upcoming work is not going to start for a while. I began to think yknow my eye sight is only average with my glasses on and I really would like to see large amounts of info from a few feet away. So now I'm considering.... A 40" monitor. It only seems to make sense but wowwww costly
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:54 pm

MadManDan wrote: I began to think yknow my eye sight is only average with my glasses on

As I got older I found I needed a special pair of glasses to view my monitors, which I'm wearing right now. If you're having any trouble at all viewing your current screen then go and have a chat with your optician. They know about these things.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:10 pm

...but bear in mind that the desired viewing distance will depend entirely on how far away your monitor screen is.

Reading glasses will focus too close; distance glasses will focus too far away.

I had some glasses specially made that worked beautifully with my screen distance of about 30 inches, but then my eye muscles regained some strength and the screen got blurry again with my 'monitor' glasses :headbang:

Now I still have glasses for reading and close work, but need nothing for screen or distant activities.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:17 pm

You're lucky and I'm envious. You're quite right, reading glasses won't do the job. Nowadays my computer glasses are so important to me I've got a spare pair.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm

I have a pair of studio glasses which are less powerful than my normal reading glasses. My optician tried to convince me to have varifocals for use with a screen but I just couldn't get on with them so I have separate pairs for different uses.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MadManDan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm

So alas my quest for a 40" moni continues as such: I'm lured by how far the quality of tv's have come along vs straight monitors. It would seem that they (tv) pack more punch per dollar being less niche and more price competitive than monitors. It would seem that unless one is a gamer (I'm not) the higher cost of monitors is just not worth it. It would seem. And therein lies the rub.

I have actually gone so far as to bring my mac to a store to hook it up to a monitor I was interested in. They were actually fine with it but I couldn't make it happen due to not having the dp cable.

My observation is that stores are kind of set up like home in that tv's are mounted into walls and computers and monitors are out on the floor. I'll let you guess which ones you even have a chance hooking your 'puter to.

Beyond the useless "ooh ahh" moving images seen on the tv demo, beyond even looking at websites on a monitor, is the real life necessity of seeing black text against your favorite pro tools colors. Will the text look sharp and equally important will the area immediately around the text not give you that "blur" so common in lo fi tv?

The search continues....

MadManDan
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Postby MadManDan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 pm

Code: Select all
had a thought... If it was accurate enough I could do a screen capture of pro tools and put it on a flash drive to easily check displays out.
I know that's not realistic tho
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Postby bn1studio » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 pm

My reply may be a little late, but.... the monitor resolution is (or, at least, used to be) stored in NVRAM. You can revert to default by zapping the PRAM on startup

Restart the machine with Apple, Option, P & R held down and wait for two startup chimes. At the second chime you can release the keys

Your Mac will now have forgotten the display resolution and a few other trivial things. Google zapping the PRAM for details

Nick Froome
bn1studio

Postby MadManDan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi all. Ended up getting https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newegg.com/amp/acer-um-me0aa-001-43-uhd/p/N82E16824011128 for$400 and am pretty happy with it. Good value
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Postby Julian_M » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 pm

bn1studio wrote:My reply may be a little late, but.... the monitor resolution is (or, at least, used to be) stored in NVRAM. You can revert to default by zapping the PRAM on startup

Restart the machine with Apple, Option, P & R held down and wait for two startup chimes. At the second chime you can release the keys

Your Mac will now have forgotten the display resolution and a few other trivial things. Google zapping the PRAM for details

Nick Froome
Nice one Nick - I read through the thread hoping someone would have mentioned the PRAM, at least its there for a future reader with the same or similar issues - though possibly not if their keyboard isn't wired?

Resetting SMC is also well worth doing for problems relating to internal and external hardware.
Julian_M
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Julian_M wrote:I read through the thread hoping someone would have mentioned the PRAM, at least its there for a future reader with the same or similar issues - though possibly not if their keyboard isn't wired?

Worth mentioning at this point to go with this comment, any old USB keyboard will work for this, not just Apple ones. If you've got an old Windows keyboard kicking around it will work fine for the startup options.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Previous