You are here

Mainstage Help

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mainstage Help

Postby BigRedX » Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 am

As I said in my other thread on playing backing tracks in a gig situation, I've decided that the only way to find the right program for what I need to do is to try them.

So I've started on MainStage 2 because I already have that with Logic Studio 9.

And I've run into a problem right at the beginning.

I chose the template with 8 mixer channels, and saved it into the folder that I've been using for my Logic live sets (where I've run all the songs as a single arrangement in Logic) and now all the faders and buttons no longer have labels on them, just an exclamation mark.

Why has this happened and how do I get them back to what I had before I saved?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Mainstage Help

Postby MarkOne » Tue May 21, 2019 2:02 pm

I'm not near my Mainstage computer right now but from memory the exclamation mark in edit mode denotes a control that is yet to be mapped to something.

So if you select a slider in edit, click the learn button and then wiggle a physical control, it will map it to that control and the exclamation mark should disappear.

Bear in mind that mappings can be different at concert, set and patch level, so depending where you are you could map something at patch level and if you go back to concert level it could still be unmapped.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby BigRedX » Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm

But the controls were all assigned to something before I hit save, and now they aren't.

I've managed to manually assign most of them back to what I think they should have been, but some like the skip forwards and back to the next marker I can't find.

TBH the default ones were fine for what I need right now, I'll get into customising them for what I need once I understand how the program works a bit more. However, the idea that they have just vanished because I hit save is somewhat worrying.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby The Coastal Path » Wed May 22, 2019 1:56 am

It can happen if you boot up Mainstage and for some reason it is not seeing the control surface - if it happens again check your connections before anything else...
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby BigRedX » Wed May 22, 2019 10:44 am

The Coastal Path wrote:It can happen if you boot up Mainstage and for some reason it is not seeing the control surface - if it happens again check your connections before anything else...

I don't have a control surface or anything else controlling MainStage at the moment. I was hoping to use it as a stand-alone solution for playing backing tracks and initially do any required control from the computer it is running on. Could that be the problem?

However... all the assignments were there when I started up MainStage initially. All I did was rename the default song and save the Concert and all the controller assignments disappeared, to be replaced by exclamation marks.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby The Coastal Path » Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Ah... well I guess in that case the faders didn't save their software assignments to whatever they were supposed to control - not sure why that might be... is it behaving now?
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby BigRedX » Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm

The Coastal Path wrote:Ah... well I guess in that case the faders didn't save their software assignments to whatever they were supposed to control - not sure why that might be... is it behaving now?

No because I couldn't figure out how to get some of the assignments back, namely the move forward and move back to the next marker. They don't appear to be in the list of controls that can be assigned. Also I can't remember what all the various transport buttons did before their assignments disappeared.

Is there a preferences file that I can delete that will force MainStage back to its default settings?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby The Coastal Path » Thu May 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Easiest thing should be to just open a new template and start over I would think...
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Mainstage Help

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:30 pm

I dont own that product. But I experience pops sometimes on tracks. If I change to a different track, it disappears.
Dunno if that will help. I have the Alesis ioDock.