You are here

Multiple eLicenser errors on starting Cubase 10

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Multiple eLicenser errors on starting Cubase 10

Postby snipedog » Wed May 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Hello all, Has anyone encountered multiple, but sporadic eLicenser error messages on starting, since updating to Cubase 10.0.20? I am running OS 10.12.6 on a well spec'd 2009 MacPro. I have re-installed the elicenser control software x 5, and Cubase 10 x 3, and the dongle is plugged directly into the front USB port. I am seeing a varied range of "eLicenser Control - Error" messages, including "Class Not Registered" Application Not Registered" "Failed to send GetInfo command" "Materializing Failed" (I'd love to know what that one means!) some referring to Cubase 10 / Artist, and some to VST Transit or VST Connect.

If I boot up Cubase 9, these don't appear at all, and occasionally they won't appear with Cubase 10 either, especially after re-bootin the Mac completely. This was logged twice with Steinberg's own helpline in the last two weeks, (including sending them the eLicenser log) with no response from them at all !!

Im very familiar with OS X, so quite happy to do some hunting if anyone has any clues what to do next?
Thanks

Steve

http://www.redtapemusic.biz
snipedog
Poster

Re: Multiple eLicenser errors on starting Cubase 10

Postby OneWorld » Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 pm

snipedog wrote:Hello all, Has anyone encountered multiple, but sporadic eLicenser error messages on starting, since updating to Cubase 10.0.20? I am running OS 10.12.6 on a well spec'd 2009 MacPro. I have re-installed the elicenser control software x 5, and Cubase 10 x 3, and the dongle is plugged directly into the front USB port. I am seeing a varied range of "eLicenser Control - Error" messages, including "Class Not Registered" Application Not Registered" "Failed to send GetInfo command" "Materializing Failed" (I'd love to know what that one means!) some referring to Cubase 10 / Artist, and some to VST Transit or VST Connect.

If I boot up Cubase 9, these don't appear at all, and occasionally they won't appear with Cubase 10 either, especially after re-bootin the Mac completely. This was logged twice with Steinberg's own helpline in the last two weeks, (including sending them the eLicenser log) with no response from them at all !!

Im very familiar with OS X, so quite happy to do some hunting if anyone has any clues what to do next?
Thanks

Steve

http://www.redtapemusic.biz

I have had this problem before after an update. However I am on Windows. But in my case it was caused by a *.cel file (or I think it was that extension, it might also have been .sel) I think it lives in the eLicenser folder, or if not the Steinberg one, I was told by Steinberg to just delete it and it did the trick. I'd never had the problem before.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 pm

I have no experience of this myself, but I've seen people ask this before. There may be some useful reference in this thread.

Towards the end of that thread the resolution for the OP was:

OneWorld wrote:Fixed, Steinberg did reply and the fix was easy peasy, there was an old *.sel file left kicking around, deleted it and all is fine :-)

So while you're waiting for support to get back to you maybe that is worth experimenting with (just be sure to make a backup copy of anything before deleting it, just in case!)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Hehe, synchronous posting strikes again :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby OneWorld » Wed May 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Hehe, synchronous posting strikes again :D

One would have thought Steinberg would be more transparent about this as the problem is not an obscure one but it took a lot of digging around to get a solution, I spent several days trying to fix it, with all manner of fixes - re-install eLicenser Control Software, re-install Cubase, try a different USB socket, replace the dongle (one person claimed eLicenser dongles wear out so best to have a spare!), re-install Windows, reset Windows Firewall, try a different graphics card?????

I'm sure some pesky people post 'solutions' for a lark sometimes.

then after several days Steinberg came back with the fix. If it is the same problem as the OP has, does have the same symptoms though.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 pm

snipedog wrote:Hello all, Has anyone encountered multiple, but sporadic eLicenser error messages on starting, since updating to Cubase 10.0.20? I am running OS 10.12.6 on a well spec'd 2009 MacPro.

I'm in the same boat, on a slightly later MacPro, so I'm glad it's not just me!
It's random, sometimes it works fine.
Hope it's an easy fix for mac users too!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Currently having cubase licensing issues on our work Mac because I had to do a complete OS reinstall. :(
Got an open ticket with Steinberg and twiddling my thumbs in the meantime.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby snipedog » Wed May 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello all, thanks for the suggestions so far. I did have an expired soft licence appearing in the eLicenser control app, and it was triggering error messages in the Control app. As has been suggested - deleting the .sel file in the elicenser folder in Application Support removed that problem, but the other error messages remain.
I am beginning to wonder if there could be a USB "clash" of some kind, so I'm running the system with only typing keyboard, mouse and dongles on the USB ports to see if that helps?
I don't know if its actually possible to have a USB clash, do they have USB addresses like SCSI did? I have a similar problem with the Firewire Drobo I backup to, which won't mount if my audio interface (Allen & Heath GSR24M) is turned on and connected, even though they are on different ports on the Mac. Thats an easy workaround, but could there be something similar happening with the USB system?
Thanks again
S
snipedog
Poster

Postby Kwackman » Thu May 23, 2019 4:26 pm

There was an e-licenser update yesterday.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/te ... enser.html
Not sure if it will fix our problems, but fingers crossed......
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Will check that out next week. Thanks :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kwackman » Sat May 25, 2019 8:21 pm

That update seems to have sorted out those error messages.
I've opened Cubase several times with no issues- although I've probably jinxed it now!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.