You are here

MIDI and Mac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

MIDI and Mac

Postby Chimera » Wed May 29, 2019 2:48 pm

I’m sure it might be difficult to give a definitive answer but I’ll ask anyway in case anyone can advise.

I’ve got a 5yr old Scan PC’s Windows machine and been very happy with it. I work in Cubase 10 Pro. Most of my work is MIDI/hardware synth music. I’m familiar with the extra tweaks Windows MIDI users need to make in Cubase MIDI connections setup to facilitate using plugin software editors for hardware synths and have CodeKnobs Prophet 08 editor working flawlessly. I recently bought an editor for another synth but am finding it very buggy. I have had it working but it is very unreliable. The vendor says that the editor works flawlessly with a Mac and it is issues with Windows. I am coming up to replacing this computer and wondered if anyone could advise if editors/plugins are more reliable with a Mac?
Chimera
Regular

Re: MIDI and Mac

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed May 29, 2019 7:12 pm

I don't know specifically about the app you want to use.

But in general I've never had any game-stoppers with hardware or software on any of my Macs.

I went totally in the box, a few years ago when I noticed my hardware was collecting dust.
I just have an 88 key Yamaha weighted electronic piano for a controller.

None of my vintage Roland, Korg and Yamaha synths had any resale value, and it was hard to find parts, or qualified tech when they started to fail.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby Chimera » Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 am

It’s the Synthmania editor for the Nord Lead 4.
Chimera
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:47 am

I suggest checking around synth, and Nord specific sites and user groups, for examples of working setups.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:03 am

I have both Mac and PC systems. I moved to PC for my primary work, not because there is anything fundamentally wrong with OS X (quite the opposite, I think it's a fantastic platform technologically) but because I've got issues with the way Apple do things these days.

Truth is, there is no real difference in capability between the two platforms. Windows is more upgrade-able and doesn't lock you into hardware in the way that Apple does but Microsoft are far more pernicious in terms of privacy invasion and forced updates.

So, you take your choice. Both are technologically excellent. The flaws are in the company ethics and both have drawbacks. It's all down to politics and policies :-(

Linux is an option. Our fellow forumite Folderol can speak more to that. Technology is world class, privacy issues are all but non-existent (there are some distros you need to do some tweaking with) but the drawback there is a weakness for commercial quality solutions and plugin support.

In an ideal world we need someone with huge resources to add market support for Linux such that it can run something like Reaper with full VST support.

Sadly at present it's a question of picking your least painful way through the maze. For me it was OS X, now it is Windows 10 but ultimately it's a personal choice. The relative capabilities of either Windows or OS X are now all but irrelevant.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:40 am

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz *.. {ploink}
Whaa.. someone call?

My (probably biassed) impression these days is that you tend to get lots of unplanned breakages with Microsoft, but with Apple they are intended :tongue:

Linux is very much extremes. It is best for people who want to do things very much their own way - verging on obsessive {cough} and/or those who have the skills to write their own code (or know someone who can). I know of a couple of people who use it professionally for audio, but they don't advertise the fact.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:55 am

I note that the last couple of Reaper updates have had notes relating to its Linux compatibility...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Is that native or using WINE?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:40 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Is that native or using WINE?

CC
I believe it's gone native these days :shock:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Coo-er! Linux gets one of the Big Boys. Neat.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.