You are here

New Mac Pro

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New Mac Pro

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 pm

desmond wrote:Interesting that they've updated the specs for Logic on Apple's site to those of the new version shown in the Keynote, from which I infer that maybe the new Logic version is coming very soon.

And, as I suspected, it will require High Sierra, which is a pain for me...

Sad!

But on the other hand David Earl said
What you’re looking at here is a brand new version of Logic. The theme of this release is all about performance.

Hope it will be a free update!

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 pm

desmond wrote:I wonder what the high end would top out at?

45 to 50.000$, depending on ram prices of the day...

Without VAT, screen, keyboard, mouse. :beamup:
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby redlester » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:22 am

The target customer for this is Pixar and Industrial Light & Magic, not my tiny "studio".

Would be interested to hear those with the real knowledge on such stuff comment on the video below; mainly the argument about cores v. clock speed, but am sure it's more complicated than that?

https://youtu.be/cZOe4_dvMSk
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am

Like redlester I'll never have one of these gracing the studio, my base level iMac Pro already has power way beyond my needs (though it was nice to have it recently when I had a batch of videos to work on). However I do take away from this that the fears expressed a few years back that Apple were gradually abandoning the Mac in favour of iThings has proved groundless. Which is nice.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby redlester » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:However I do take away from this that the fears expressed a few years back that Apple were gradually abandoning the Mac in favour of iThings has proved groundless.

Indeed, but is there not a bit of concern that they are still ignoring the "middle ground" who want something with options for upgrading RAM to reasonably large amounts (but not necessarily Terabytes!) and the ability to add/swap internal storage drives, without a buit-in screen, and at a price affordable to serious hobbyists and semi-pro's? I suppose it's such a niche market...

I hopefully will get several more years out of my 2012 Mac Mini but I wonder what the options will be when I finally do need to replace it. Apple Refurbished store I suspect.

(By the way am now over a year in from my move from PC to Mac, and I would have to be dragged back kicking and screaming!)
redlester
Regular

Postby MOF » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 am

I hopefully will get several more years out of my 2012 Mac Mini but I wonder what the options will be when I finally do need to replace it. Apple Refurbished store I suspect.
The new Mac Mini, very upgradeable, and yes, even cheaper in the refurb store.
MOF
Regular

Postby redlester » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 pm

MOF wrote:The new Mac Mini, very upgradeable, and yes, even cheaper in the refurb store.

Upgradeable on RAM yes, but you can't upgrade the storage drive. My 2012 model has two user upgradeable drives inside it.

You have to pay the insane Apple storage drive price for the 2018 model (+£1,080 for 2TB compared with 256GB!)
redlester
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:12 pm

redlester wrote:The target customer for this is Pixar and Industrial Light & Magic, not my tiny "studio".

Unless you are a video or photo-realistic 3D professional, you don't really need one of these Macs right now.

I'm just about to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 to a 5.1 model and I expect to pay less than £500. I'll probably be looking at buying one of these new Mac Pros on the second-hand market in about 10 years time.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Previous