You are here

15" Macbook Pro 2019

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

15" Macbook Pro 2019

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:19 pm

One has just bought one of these for the spec (500 jiggerwatt flash drive, 16 jiggerwatt memory, Intel i9 8 cores, lovely screen, ZX spectrum keyboard etc)

However both Nuendo 10 and Props Reason 10 require one to plug in ones USB keys. Now since there are no USB ports, one plugs a hub into one of the thunderstorm holes and then plugs ones usb keys into that.

Only problem is the software doesn't see them, and invites one to download the relevant doings, which one does, but to no avail.

Now this is nothing new really, because even the 2015 i5 MBP isn't happy with dongles in hubs, and much prefers them stuck into the machine itself. That is unless one uses a powered hub. So one is pondering the purchase of yet another hub, safe in the knowledge that if it doesn't work, one will have to revert to the old MBP, and reserve the new and very expensive one for Microsoft Office - which currently runs happily on ones 12" Air running a one core m processor. Additionally, ones newly acquired powered hub will not be required one fears.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: 15" Macbook Pro 2019

Postby fatbenelton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Might not help with usb-c but I’ve just bought an Anker usb3 unpowered hub for my 2015 macbook pro and the cubase dongle is quite happy in it....cost buttons. Might be worth trying their usb c one?

Mine is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Y25 ... asin_title
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm using a cheap Mokin USB-C hub with card reader, 2x USB3/2 ports and a HDMI slot. Cubase eLicenser and an iLok 2 are both working fine.

For something with a bit more connectivity the CalDigit Thunderbolt docks seem decent.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Dear Matt and fat, That is encouraging news, thank you! :)
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:45 pm

If you have a powered USB hub that works on the old machine, could you not just get one of the apple USB A - USB C adapters and continue using that?

I use one of these and it works fine for my iLok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:28 am

Nuendo key is working now, - I switched things around, and powered the MBP through the hub, but Props Reason key is still not being seen. I uninstalled the codemeter and downloaded and reinstalled as per the advice, but still no luck. Of course I can log in via internet. The key itself is OK because it works with my other MBP with conventional USB A ports.

But I must say the new MBP is a mass of ugly hubs and a tangle of cables, at least before, you didn't need the hubs. I wonder what else will not be seen as I get through installations.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

Postby johnny h » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 am

Not defending the absurd decision to ditch the usb-a ports, but companies still using dongles need to wake up. I have not and will never buy a product that uses one, and I’m definitely not the only one.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 pm

I agree but I live in a place where internet is not dependable so online authorizations aren’t dependable. And what sneaky stuff are Apple and others doing in my machine when I’m online?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Well today I bought an Apple USBC to USB simple short cable. 22 quid. Plugged it into the MBP, plugged the Props Ignition key into the other end. Logged on to my Props Account, My Products, Authorize, and after a minute or so it says there is no Ignition key attached to this computer. so I pulled the key out, and immediately there is a message on the screen saying I disconnected the Code meter. What on earth is going on?

Once again I connected the Key to my original 2015 MBP - which has regular USB ports, and there is no problem recognizing the key. In fact it's immediately obvious because I can run Reason without logging in to my account - which is what the key is supposed to do.

So I think it's safe to say the key does NOT WORK with USB C and Props need to re-write the code meter app to correct that.

No doubt at all though, someone will say it works OK with my USB3 machine.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:06 pm

The word going around is that the pro team Apple assembled to give feedback and shape the design of the Mac Pro have also contributed to the design of the MBP - this current one (2019) doesn't incorporate this feedback, as it was too far along, but the next MBP apparently will include the efforts of the pro team.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:40 am

desmond wrote:The word going around is that the pro team Apple assembled to give feedback and shape the design of the Mac Pro have also contributed to the design of the MBP - this current one (2019) doesn't incorporate this feedback, as it was too far along, but the next MBP apparently will include the efforts of the pro team.

Well the non functioning key isn't a big deal (so far) because there is the fall back position of logging in to the account. Nuendo key does work thankfully, because with Nuendo no key means no recording session.

Incidentally, I loaded all my serious software onto my tiny Mac Air, just because I had nowt else to do, and it all works! It's weird running Nuendo 10 with T-Racks and Arturia 7 Synths on a tiny lightweight Mac.

But I digress..
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:56 pm

desmond wrote:The word going around is that the pro team Apple assembled to give feedback and shape the design of the Mac Pro have also contributed to the design of the MBP - this current one (2019) doesn't incorporate this feedback, as it was too far along, but the next MBP apparently will include the efforts of the pro team.

That also aligns with the general rhythm of major hardware changes in the MBP ranges.
Unibody 2008
Retina 2012
Touchbar 2016

Which sort of makes the next major hardware update due next year. You never know we might see the return of upgradable memory and storage if the pro team they are consulting push for these things as important.

Of course the £3K* entry price will probably be beyond us mortals

*I'm guessing of course but we'll see :)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!