You are here

adjusting occasional vocal sharps & flats

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

adjusting occasional vocal sharps & flats

Postby TomFuller » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:10 pm

Trying to record (on Audacity) and then edit vocal tones...where I go slightly flats or sharp. Not the entire piece, and I don't want to sound like a robot, a midget, monster, etc. Just occasional tweaking on the pitch/note that's off. I have Graillon and GSnap already, but can't figure out how to use them. Melodyne looks good...where I can grab the single note and drag it up or down a hair. But I don't think it works with Audacity. Tnx.
TomFuller
Tom in Texas

Re: adjusting occasional vocal sharps & flats

Postby fruitcake » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 pm

There’s a few apps that do a good job of adjusting flat or sharp notes. I use Melodyne for more finessed pitch and timing stuff and for quick work in my DAW, Digital Performer has pretty good pitch tools. Melodyne can work stand alone.
There are different versions of Melodyne. The less expensive the fewer features it has. I think the least expensive one is called Essentials. They definitely have a demo online so you can try it out.
fruitcake
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am

At the Melodyne Essentials end of things you don't use it within Audacity, you load your file into Melodyne, sort your notes out then save the file and open it in Audacity for further editing. It's frequently found as a freeby with some DAWs and interfaces.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby TomFuller » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Ok I didn't know this about Melodyne. So, Melodyne can upload a song from Audacity, and will show the voice and accompaniment on separate staves? Is that correct? Then, tweak the vocal, and return it to Audacity?

TnT
TomFuller
Tom in Texas

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:02 am

All versions of Melodyne have the ability to work standalone on files. I see the cheapest version (Melodyne Essential) can now work as a plug-in like the more expensive versions, it didn't used to. Audacity has the ability to use 3rd party plug-ins but the interface is a bit clunky and I've not tried it with Melodyne.

Melodyne can be used on files that contain more than one line of music, showing each on on its own line. Unfortunately this is restricted to Melodyne Editor and Studio, which are pretty expensive. However all is not lost. I see you can use Studio in a free trial for up to 30 days and there are no restrictions during that trial. So, for 30 days at least, you're sorted.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby fruitcake » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 pm

When I use Melodyne stand alone, I’ll export just the track I want to adjust. Then save it and import it back into my DAW. Opening the whole song mixed together in Melodyne with voice, instruments, etc., would make adjusting only the voice difficult.
fruitcake
Regular